Forum Member

Default This needs to happen more often!

Wolcott, Vt. -- A Wolcott volunteer firefighter is facing charges for rolling his car while rushing to a fire.

The Lamoille County sheriff's office says 37-year-old Matthew J. Secich (SEE-kitch) rolled his car just after 10 a.m. yesterday while headed to a chimney fire.

The authorities say Secich was given a ticket for unreasonable and imprudent speed for conditions.

He was also cited into court to answer charges of leaving the scene of an accident and careless and negligent operation.

This needs to happen more often.

We need to start making members responsible and face the consequences for the way they choose to drive enroute to call.

This includes apparatus.

I hope the chief doesn't fight this, though, it probably wouldn't do to much good, as the sheriff in that county (which is right next to the county I lived in for almost 20 years) is pretty much a "this is the way it is" kind of guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with a some accountability, (outside of the department) the message may stick.

After losing an Apparatus in an accident, I ammended the SOP's to include weather conditions, for all responses.

Cases like this may allow us to limit some of those loop-holes in our Procedures

Permanently Removed

This is true. More people should be held accountable for their actions. Funny how I just updated my signature lines this morning too.

Forum Member

Last year we had several guys who got speeding tickets on the way to the firehouse for a non emergency service call. They were suspended for 3 months from riding on any fire apparatus but still needed to maintain their percentages. It got the message across. Everyone here knows they have to obay all traffic laws all the time even when responing to structure fires or mva's with entrapments. Heck, I don't even use a blue light. Sometime I really think allowing blue lights contribute to more traffic violations then if they were not allowed. I think if this guy who flipped his car was driving carelessly he should face charges like anyone else should. If something out of his control happened then he should not be held accountable just like anyone else would.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you watch the news, it seems like slowly but surely, there are places that are placing more accountability on our actions and punishing those who screw up.

I recently had to have a sit down with our local police chief about some of our members. He was instructed to write anyone who he or his officers a ticket and to allow no leniency because they're a firefighter. He was reluctant, but agreed. My personnel have been warned and it seems to have helped, so far.

Forum Member

Default Good!!!

I am glad stuff like this goes on. Some people are some got-dang retards driving to begin with, much less that same freakin' retard driving to a call with his awesome LED lightbar and siren thinking he can now do whatever because he volunteers to kick ash and no one can force him to. What a daggum bad ***. POV's shouldn't be aloud to run lights and sirens in my opinion. And you should hear the response I get from guys....one says "Are you kidding me!? I would quit if I didn't have my lights!!"

I have still yet to see the purpose of giving a complete freakin' idiot the permission to get lights and a siren. They don't help anything. And they are so expensive it's ridiculous to waste money on something like that. If the city is getting mad because response times take longer, they can pay for a full time crew. Because I am not about to risk my *** going to jail for the rest of my life because I decided to go 90 to nothing down the road and accidently killed somebody. Or end up killing myself!! It's stupid lights on POV's should be a felony or something!! Not really a felony, but they are stupid!!

Sorry to rant, but pure stupidity like that ****es me off.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    If you watch the news, it seems like slowly but surely, there are places that are placing more accountability on our actions and punishing those who screw up.
    Yeah...

That is unless your name is Obama, Rangle, Geithner...etc.

Different rules for different people,...I guess more accountablity only applies to the working man.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I agree with the accountability requirement, and it should be enforced. Unfortunately "accountability" for this type of incident usually comes in the form of a death certificate, which makes it rather permanent for the recipient.

We had something a bit less stringent back at Malahat. If the locals (we all lived in a trailer park) complained to the Chief consistently about any of us driving too fast through the park when the tones dropped, we'd get a talking to. If the complaints continued, then that person would be first restricted from driving any apparatus, and punishment could lead to suspension or dismissal.

When you're usually assigned to be a driver, you'd figure the HINT would get through - I know I never needed to be cautioned about my driving through the park.... oh wait. I lived 4 doors down from the station, it was easier to run down the hill than try and drive. Rode a bike most of the time. Peddling my @ss back up the hill after a long call was not quite so fun though.

Forum Member

We can not use lights and sirens on our own vehicles here, but the police is looking trough the fingers a little with us though. One guy (not ours) was caught speeding going to the station one night, the judge discarded his speeding ticket but said clear out, this was the first and the last time he does that, next time, the violator pays the full price. A couple of guys in our department have had fines or warnings for speeding issued by highway patrol officers, they are less forgiving.

A handfull rural departments troughout the country have 2 guys on home-standby that responde to the station with department owned cars, accordingly painted as fire service vehicles and fitted with emergency lights. This option is not used very much, but as far as I know, hasn't ever caused any problems. Also many battalion chiefs are on home-standby, and also bring their vehicle along, this is very common.

MembersZone Subscriber

You cannot help if you do not get there yourself safely.

As said in another post....Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

We are the professionals people, gotta act like it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We have a 1 year probation for newbies, during which they cannot use lights/sirens. When I sign their permit, they are told straight out that they MUST drive "with due regard" as it is stated on the permit. I explain to them that I will not stand behind them if they are careless responding to an alarm. 1st offense, the permit gets pulled for 6 months, 2nd, it gets pulled for good. Have had only one 1st offense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bum291 View Post
    We can not use lights and sirens on our own vehicles here, but the police is looking trough the fingers a little with us though. One guy (not ours) was caught speeding going to the station one night, the judge discarded his speeding ticket but said clear out, this was the first and the last time he does that, next time, the violator pays the full price. A couple of guys in our department have had fines or warnings for speeding issued by highway patrol officers, they are less forgiving.

A handfull rural departments troughout the country have 2 guys on home-standby that responde to the station with department owned cars, accordingly painted as fire service vehicles and fitted with emergency lights. This option is not used very much, but as far as I know, hasn't ever caused any problems. Also many battalion chiefs are on home-standby, and also bring their vehicle along, this is very common.
    On hienoa nähdä palomiehen Suomesta tänne. Minulla on joitakin Suomen veren minulle. Isoäitini on 100% suomalainen niin ajattelin tyyppi tämä suomeksi. Kiitos Google!
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    On hienoa nähdä palomiehen Suomesta tänne. Minulla on joitakin Suomen veren minulle. Isoäitini on 100% suomalainen niin ajattelin tyyppi tämä suomeksi. Kiitos Google!
    Ya don't say? That's amazing!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    You cannot help if you do not get there yourself safely.

As said in another post....Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

We are the professionals people, gotta act like it.
    What he said!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Yeah...

That is unless your name is Obama, Rangle, Geithner...etc.

Different rules for different people,...I guess more accountablity only applies to the working man.

FTM-PTB
    While you've got a very good point, I was thinking more along the lines that you're seeing FF's put in jail, sued, etc. for blowing stop signs/lights, etc.

It's not like it used to be, where if you had lights and sirens going you were automatically in the right no matter what you did or how fast you were going. The courts are actually using that "due regard" clause nowadays. Well, at least in some areas they are.

Forum Member

Terve vaan

And for clarification, what I meant to say is that the police is looking trough the fingers a bit regarding stretching the traffic rules a bit. Not that they would allow us to have emergency lights on our vehicles ...In case anyone wondered.

Thread Information