Forum Member

Default Electrical Wiring for onboard Generator

Our rescue truck has a factory installed generator as well as two outlets in two different compartments. The builder used a 3 prong locking receptacle and as a result we have to keep up with special adapters to connect regular extension cords. I am looking to replace the outlet with a standard commercial 120v outlet, but I wanted to make sure that I am not overlooking any NFPA spec that says the outlet must be of the locking type.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue601 View Post
    Our rescue truck has a factory installed generator as well as two outlets in two different compartments. The builder used a 3 prong locking receptacle and as a result we have to keep up with special adapters to connect regular extension cords. I am looking to replace the outlet with a standard commercial 120v outlet, but I wanted to make sure that I am not overlooking any NFPA spec that says the outlet must be of the locking type.

Thanks.
    "Twist Locks" are common in the fire service because they are not likely to come out accidentally. Also, many of them can be provided with water resistant boots, lessening the chances of problems due to them getting wet. (We do have this funny habit of getting stuff wet.)

On the other hand, when I was in the Navy, ships used what was referred to as SNR plugs and receptacles, which wouldn't come out either. But now when I go aboard Navy ships, I see that everything is regular house plugs and receptacles. What is this man's Navy coming to?!!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    "Twist Locks" are common in the fire service because they are not likely to come out accidentally. Also, many of them can be provided with water resistant boots, lessening the chances of problems due to them getting wet. (We do have this funny habit of getting stuff wet.)

On the other hand, when I was in the Navy, ships used what was referred to as SNR plugs and receptacles, which wouldn't come out either. But now when I go aboard Navy ships, I see that everything is regular house plugs and receptacles. What is this man's Navy coming to?!!
    Yes, I completely understand their purpose but when you use an adapter that converts twist lock to a standard 3 prong then you defeat the purpose. For reasons I won't get into they won't let me retrofit the extension cords with a twist lock end. Thus my thought was instead of having to keep up with an adapter why not just eliminate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Twist lock plugs

What's the rating on the circuit breaker for that circuit? If it's 20 amp. I think you can only get twist lock style recepticles. 3 prong house hold style recepticles are normally 15 amp rated. You should replace circuit breaker with 15 amp if you convert the outlets.

Forum Member

There are many 20amp 3 prong house hold style recepticles . In my area, 20amp recepticles are required in household kitchens.

NFPA does not have a standard on locking outlets........yet.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Leviton makes a 20 amp commercial grade outlet.....

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=24813

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Receptacles

Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding on receptacles.

Thread Information