Thread: Nashville

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Nashville

Can anyone update us on the FD there? When we interviewed they panel said they were to hire a couple hundred and get the 3 man crews up to 4 man crews. How is the economy and budget there. Thanks for the update as there is still a few of us still with hope...

Forum Member

Default Nashville

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NFD is in a hiring freeze.

Forum Member

um, if admin would let me post, I would tell you that they are in a hiring freeze. The last class they hired started the fire academy in Feb. 2007. I am pretty sure they will make another list before they hire again.

Forum Member

As a resident of Nashville, I can assure you that they aren't hiring and probably won't be for a while. It's the economy.

Forum Member

Default nashville

I too tested back in 2006 and was hopeing to get hired. If and when they do hire, hopefully we will here something.

Memphis is continuing to hire. There is a requirement that you must become a paramedic within three years (through the fire department). You don't have to be one to get hired, nor an EMT. They put you through Fire/EMS academy.

We (Memphis) are four man companies, with their goal to make all companies ALS. Privates have a rotation of riding the ambulance every 4-5 work days. Vs Nashville, who I believe have them separated.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=tnff363;1027828]um, if admin would let me post, I would tell you that they are in a hiring freeze. The last class they hired started the fire academy in Feb. 2007. I am pretty sure they will make another list before they hire again.[/QUOte

I think the last class started in February of 08. But you're right about the hiring freeze. As a matter of fact they even "rolled back" several positions.

Forum Member

Default No good news to tell.

Wilson247, I was one of the "lucky" ones that got hired in Feb. of 08'. The economy isn't looking good for Nashville Fire. Since I have been hired, they have rolled back district chiefs to captains, and temporarily reassigned half of the new hires (that were hired with me) to the EMS division. So they are now driving ambulances as EMT's and not even working in Fire Suppression. Everything is in limbo now waiting on the budget to be hashed out and its being delayed to see what the stimulus package does for us. They are under a hiring freeze now but its anybodys guess as to what will happen in the future. There are rumors of Engine Companies being shut down and firefighters being layed off but I can't see that happening since our department only runs with 3 people on a piece of equipment already most of the time. I love my job and love NFD but the economy just isn't good now and it hurts. Even FDNY is talking about laying off firefighters. Times are tuff but don't give up, because you never know.

Thread Information