Forum Member

Angry Chain of command

yesrterday my post went to a demonstration for a company called RG&E. personaly i thought that it was great but i was approched by other line officers and was told to address the membership as a hole. So in doing so after what i herd from the other officers as to what happended during the demo i got Really PO. so the Captian told me to address rthis so in doing so i tryed to have a civil conversation but turned in to me yelling at everyone for acting like three year olds. when we got back to the fire hall i was repremanded for yelling at the membership. i am pretty sure that when the captain tells me to do what i did then it was ok. I also and mifted at the fact that he didnt have the balls to say anything.

I need some advice
    Quint 320 Yeah

Forum Member

Fail......
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

take responsability for your actions whether you like em or not

MembersZone Subscriber

It's extremely difficult to understand what you are asking, but as I understand it, you were reprimanded for yelling at the membership. I would tend to agree with this reprimand. Although there are times that raising your voice is necessary, a good leader can get his point across without yelling at the audience. It sounds like you let your temper get the best of you.

Forum Member

as a jr/explorer you yelled at the fire fighters? if that is the case then def in the wrong

Forum Member

if your the exp post officer or what not....... do a lot of P.T. it sends the point across better than anything verbal :P

Permanently Removed

OP- Remember two things-

1. Communication is key.
    2. Egos eat brains.

And for what its worth, please see below-

THE TEN POINTS OF LEADERSHIP

1. BE TOUGH- Set your standards high and encourage your people to meet them. Tell them what your standards and expectations are.

2. GET OUT FROM BEHIND YOUR DESK- In the modern day vernacular we call it "Management by Wondering Around." Go see whats happening for yourself. Your people will see you are interested in their problems and welfare.

3. FIND THE CRITICAL PATH TO SUCCESS- Prioritize your activities. Donít waste time on trivial matters. Become personally involved. Donít leave tings to chance.

4. BE SENSITIVE- Listen to people. Be perceptive and communicate offen. Empathize with your people. Ask for input, seek ideas. Be innovative and creative.

5. DONíT TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED- Keep on top of things. Donít assume anything. If something needs to be fixed- do it. Donít procrastinate- do it and then monitor it.

6. SEARCH OUT THE PROBLEMS- "If you think there are no problems in your organization, you are ignorant." Search out the problems, find them. Foster an environment that encourages open, clear communications. If you shun the problems they will get bigger.

7. DONíT ALIBI- Just take care of the problem, fix it. We know that people make mistakes. So donít be defensive when things go wrong. Nothing is worst than when someone who has an alibi for everything that goes wrong.

8. DONíT PROCRASTINTE- The problem only get worse if you procrastinate. Therefore, address the problems when they arise. Donít put off hard decisions- make them. It really wont be easier tomorrow. Just do it!

9. DONíT TOLERATE INCOMPETENCE- People who are lazy and/or disinterested should be replaced. You need people to get the job done. Have the courage to terminate their assignment. Use positive motivation- praise people when they are doing good work. Recognize their efforts. Then they will do even better.

10. BE HONEST- Integrity is one of the most important aspects to someone's character. People wont trust you if you're dishonest. Tell it like it is- be up front with people. Create an atmosphere of trust and confidence. Be an example for your people.

To Sum It Up- Your task is to be a leader. It requires hard work, enthusiasm and sensitivity to whats going on. Establish your expectations, be involved and listen. Remember integrity and honestly is basic to everything. Practice these ten points for success as a Leader.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Forum Member

You may or may not like my advice, so take it for what its worth (from a former explorer captain/Eagle Scout):

If your typing skills are at all indicative of the way you lead and/or communicate with your post, you have a little work to do. Why don't you calm down and tell us what happened in detail. This of course should be typed in proper english using proper grammar.

Trust me, being the leader of an explorer post or the leader of anything is no easy task. You can please some of the people some of the time, some people none of the time, and none of the people all of the time. I got in my fair share of arguments with both explorers and advisors (as RFXplr 326 can testify to). You have to remember to remain calm. And listen but dont take anything to heart. That is a skill that is practiced to perfection by any recruit or cadet going through basic training. TRUST ME!

If there is a serious problem with something in the post, try to wait at least 24 hours to start throwing blame around. I know that in many situations this is impossible and I have only had the chance to do this a handful of times. I learned this tactic from my 8th grade teacher and it is a leadership lesson that I will carry with me forever. By waiting, you calm down and take emotion out of the situation. Your mind is clear and you can seek out the facts and truely determine the problem and appropriate discipline for the offense.

Bou had a great post above me and I would also recommend reading his post a few times. Not saying that you dont know how to be a good leader, but a good leader recognizes that there is always room for improvement because no one is perfect.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I have no idea what on earth he is talking about either.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

umm..... what?

Forum Member

Hmm... I have no clue what the OP is saying...
    But I'm with Bou and Jake. Take their advice.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erfdlieutenant View Post
    yesrterday my post went to a demonstration for a company called RG&E. personaly i thought that it was great but i was approched by other line officers and was told to address the membership as a hole. So in doing so after what i herd from the other officers as to what happended during the demo i got Really PO. so the Captian told me to address rthis so in doing so i tryed to have a civil conversation but turned in to me yelling at everyone for acting like three year olds. when we got back to the fire hall i was repremanded for yelling at the membership. i am pretty sure that when the captain tells me to do what i did then it was ok. I also and mifted at the fact that he didnt have the balls to say anything.

I need some advice
    As others have mentioned, you need to work on that spelling and grammar, big time.

I don't see this as a chain of command issue at all, seems like it worked here. You were told by higher ups to address the membership, then you got reprimanded by the higher ups later. Chain of command worked. You were reprimanded later at the fire hall...seems like it is how it should be, you praise in public and reprimand in private. You're miffed because your captain didn't have the balls to say anything?? Grow up, you were the one yelling at the membership and the way I read it, he DID say something, to YOU later in private. Learn from this and move on, take your punishment if you received one and go and work on that spelling and grammar.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erfdlieutenant View Post
    I need some advice

Learn to communicate in writing more effectively. Use proper grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling. Thats the best advice I can give you right now, because I have no clue what you said.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

heres some chain of command for you

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE FIRE SERVICE

explorers/juniors

Forum Member

Or... Back a few decades...
    Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    heres some chain of command for you

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE FIRE SERVICE

Horses that pull the wagons...

explorers/juniors
    Just to drive the point home
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

Forum Member

wait what? the post ran a demo, you thought it went well, but the captain didn't agree. so you addressed your post? or the general membership? and when doing so, you ended up screaming at everyone because you got POed?

and not for nothing, if you ended up screaming at everyone for acting like 3 year olds, how was it a really good demo?

btw, this is why I think explorer officers, esp those who are given any real authority are a waste (sort of like middle management). They can't really do anything without approval of the senior firefighters, they often don't know enough do make decision, and if they do try to discipline people, they either do it the wrong way or come off as a jerkoff, because it's just another kid yelling about something he knows very little about.

good luck with everything
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

IMO it was destined to turn into a shouting match from the get go. Put a bunch of young adults in a room, and have another young adult try to have a sensible talk about their behavior. Not going to happen. They VERY rarely will take you serious and eventually they will act up, causing a blow up like you had. The Captain should have addressed the group, not you. He failed in my mind.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natatha View Post
    Or... Back a few decades...

Just to drive the point home
    hahaha you forgot the dalmations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    I don't see this as a chain of command issue at all, seems like it worked here. You were told by higher ups to address the membership, then you got reprimanded by the higher ups later. Chain of command worked. You were reprimanded later at the fire hall...seems like it is how it should be, you praise in public and reprimand in private. You're miffed because your captain didn't have the balls to say anything?? Grow up, you were the one yelling at the membership and the way I read it, he DID say something, to YOU later in private. Learn from this and move on, take your punishment if you received one and go and work on that spelling and grammar.
    These guy see each other every day at school and maybe once a month i see them at the anual drill. the captain didnt want to yell at his friends and be a dick about it. its a grant popularity contest nothing more.
    Quint 320 Yeah

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to listen to the advice being given here. In general a good leader will praise in public and disipline in private. Although it's very difficult to understand your original post, that sounds like what happened. He did say something, he said it to you, in private as he should have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    hahaha you forgot the dalmations.
    Well, I figure that the explorers are above them just because you don't have to worry about the explorers stealing your food while either off on a call, or working in another room :P
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

Thread Information