Forum Member

Default traffic control grant

Hello Forum Firefighters,

Wondering if anyone has written an application for a traffic control system. Opticom is one company and one here in MI is called E-Light.

John Lyman
    Waterford Fire Department
    Last edited by jhl81791123; 01-22-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: grammar

Forum Member

We have gotten a 1199 update for our 2008 Ops Grant which includes traffic emitter control system and new light bars for our apparatus....no official award yet....sent 10 q's in last week....just need your e-mail address and i'll fire my narrative to you....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by steelman View Post
    We have gotten a 1199 update for our 2008 Ops Grant which includes traffic emitter control system and new light bars for our apparatus....no official award yet....sent 10 q's in last week....just need your e-mail address and i'll fire my narrative to you....
    Hey Steel can you pass one on too me? The County is finishing construction on a new EMS HQ building that will have the units coming out into one of the worst intersections in town. A traffic control on the crossing might be a good idea. Send to my alternate ego, wjvaughn@dicksoncounty.net
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Steelman,

My email address is jlyman@twp.waterford.mi.us

Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I would love to get a copy of that narrative as well When all the snow birds come down to S.W. Florida getting to calls gets much more complicated. Lol. My email is dwatson@enfd.org

Thanks,
    Diana

Forum Member

What's the cost on a system like Opticom or similar?

Forum Member

Steelman, I would like a copy also. chip@plankenhorns.com Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I've kicked around something like this as well, minus the Opticoms (it's hard to justify one when you don't have any lights in town). I was thinking along the lines of cones, signage, vests, directional bars on the apparatus, and maybe even LED flares. Not a huge, costly project, but one that can take a toll on a department's budget.

I guess if I really wanted to expand it, I could get with some other departments in the county and with MoDOT (consult with them, at least) about making up some emergency traffic control trailers that respond as mutual aid during large incidents. Hmmmm.....

Forum Member

I just met with an E-Light representative today. Sounds interesting and cost effective. Looks like it can be placed with the current traffic light system or on a post out front of your station.

www.e-lightllc.com

I think we are going to look at a regional grant for this project.

Still looking for any sample narratives.
    please email me: jlyman@twp.waterford.mi.us

John Lyman
    Waterford Fire

Cool E-Vehicle Alert System

E-Light,LLC in Livonia Mi has the newest system for reducing emergency vehicle accidents at signaled intersections. Driver compliance rate(number of vehicles yielding for e-vehicle) rose from 76.6% to 97.4%. A significant increase. The amount of "Violations"(Vehicles that yielded at intersection) was reduced by 88%. More cities in S.E. Michigan are looking at this system.
    Although still in the experimental process with FHWA,the E-Light system provides a promising avenue for reducing e-vehicle accidents at signaled intersections. This system is much more affordable than Opticom Approx 75% less. Check it out at (E-LightLLC.com) any questions can be addressed on the website.

MembersZone Subscriber

You've been to my neighborhood John--no stoplights in the township. No Starbuck's either!! Good luck on your project, regional sounds like a good approach since it has wide-reaching benefits.

earl

Hi John,

My name is David Donoher and I am the rep for E-Light. I see you met with Mike today! That's great.

If anyone has any questions regarding E-Light please feel free to contact me via email @ ddonoher@yahoo.com

Or visit the website www.E-Lightllc.com

The cost of this device is approx $ 10k per intersection which would consist of 2, two way signals including installation. Wayne Co. Mi charges approx $1,500 for installation and other counties will vary.

I can meet with you at your convience to discuss further.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    What's the cost on a system like Opticom or similar?
    The e-light system is about 8k per intersection. This is for two each two way signals. Plus $ 350 per transmitter plus installation. Wayne County Michoagn charges $ 1,500 per intersection.
    Let me know if you have any further questions. I am the rep.

David Donoher

Forum Member

I'll get the narrative to everyone today...sorry for the delay.....

Forum Member

Looks like the cost per intersection is $10k for and E-Light system. Don't have anything to confirm the Opticom, but heard as high as $40k per intersection

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    You've been to my neighborhood John--no stoplights in the township. No Starbuck's either!! Good luck on your project, regional sounds like a good approach since it has wide-reaching benefits.

earl
    Earl,

I don't think you even have any intersections, do you?

MembersZone Subscriber

C'mon John, we not only have intersections, we've got two 4-way stops. You just only saw the one with the flashing red light!!

earl (not kidding, now that i think about it--that's it.)

Forum Member

How can you tell if you have intersections? When I was up there, you couldn't even read the signs because of the wind driven snow that had them covered. I did notice that Kurt grabbed the dash a couple of time when we were on the way out to the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    How can you tell if you have intersections? When I was up there, you couldn't even read the signs because of the wind driven snow that had them covered. I did notice that Kurt grabbed the dash a couple of time when we were on the way out to the station.
    Yeah and I will probabaly be white-knuckling the steering wheel later today in NH.BBBBRRRRR!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

If you're flying in today Kurt , all is well the storm is still down south and won't get here till tomorrow morning. You should be safe & sound at the conference center. supposed to drop 12-18" of the white stuff on wed.
    The ice man commeth to New Hampster.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    If you're flying in today Kurt , all is well the storm is still down south and won't get here till tomorrow morning. You should be safe & sound at the conference center. supposed to drop 12-18" of the white stuff on wed.
    The ice man commeth to New Hampster.
    I am at Orlando airport now about 15 minutes form boarding to Philly. As long as Philly satys open till at least 1:30PM I'll be winging it to Manchester and they tell me that airport never closes!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I am at Orlando airport now about 15 minutes form boarding to Philly. As long as Philly satys open till at least 1:30PM I'll be winging it to Manchester and they tell me that airport never closes!
    Now I know why it started snowing here in Pittsburgh! The iceman cometh!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dpatriots View Post
    I would love to get a copy of that narrative as well When all the snow birds come down to S.W. Florida getting to calls gets much more complicated. Lol. My email is dwatson@enfd.org

Thanks,
    Diana

I would also like to see a copy, we send the snowbirds to Florida for the winter but they always come back. kjkresge@msn.com

Thanks
    Last edited by kkresge; 01-28-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: include email

Forum Member

Default Please Send me a copy

I would love to see a copy of that narrative. I submitted this type of request 2 years ago and I went very late into the final round before being denied (it was very interesting as I figured I did not have a snowballs chance in Hell).

garthb@comcast.net

Thanks
    GB

Forum Member

640, you were really close then. You must have written a good project. Something caught their eye.

Thread Information