Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any suggestions?

I am working with a growing department in south carolina, we are starting to make steps in the right direction but are still caught up in some old school stuff. I wanted to see of anyone had suggestions on additional funding for the fire department, something that may get us up to NFPA staffing standards and equipment standars. also up the pay scale a little. we are well below the national average, alot of us have to have second sometimes even three jobs to be able to own a home and support a family. I wanted to see if any upperlevel officers or chiefs had suggestions on what they do for alternative funding to improve department standards and moral.

Read through the grants section and visit the US Fire Adiministration's website. That would be a good place to start.

Where abouts in Carolina are you?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

unionizing is a good step if you haven't already done it.

sounds like you have a good sized wish list that is going to cost a good chunk of change. keep plugging away at it, but doesn't seem like you'll get everything you want.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are in the Charleston metro area, a union got started around the same time i started, thanks for the websites i'll check those out and show them to a few officers.

Forum Member

Just use caution with the grants because sometimes you may not be able to support those things the grant helped you get down the road much like what hilton head ran into with the SAFER grant

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    unionizing is a good step if you haven't already done it.

sounds like you have a good sized wish list that is going to cost a good chunk of change. keep plugging away at it, but doesn't seem like you'll get everything you want.
    Why do you feel unionization is such a good idea? They're already cash strapped and need equipment and training. They're much better off developing a good department first to prove their worth. Then they can go to local government and the community for money and unionize as that time if salaries haven't risen to the area average.

Forum Member

It's better to speak with a single voice versus the ramblings of a mob. Also the IAFF offers other services, such as a GIS study of your department to see where you can improve.

As for the original poster unless you are in a position of power...just come in and do your job. Leave all the money stuff to upper management. You'll be much happier in your job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Why do you feel unionization is such a good idea? They're already cash strapped and need equipment and training. They're much better off developing a good department first to prove their worth. Then they can go to local government and the community for money and unionize as that time if salaries haven't risen to the area average.
    The benefits of unionization in the fire service is for more than just salary issues. As lex eluded to, there's a lot more that the IAFF specifically can assist them with.

The original poster mentioned NFPA standards and staffing as an area to address and I know the IAFF has lots of useful information regarding NFPA 1710.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hear you with the "come in do your job and be happy", but what about taking in interest and putting forth an effort to change. sittin around and doing nothing but complaining doesnt do a thing for anyone. it being proactive and getting involved that makes a difference, and it should be that way from the top to the bottom no matter what your rank. no one needs to get blasted here, i'm looking for help to make a difference and improve, not a shut your mouth and do your job rookie attitude. Thank you for the advice, we started a union and IAFF is a large help we have a GIS survey being done. and i am suggesting some of the websites to officers and they are looking at them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JASONJASGUR1 View Post
    I hear you with the "come in do your job and be happy", but what about taking in interest and putting forth an effort to change. sittin around and doing nothing but complaining doesnt do a thing for anyone. it being proactive and getting involved that makes a difference, and it should be that way from the top to the bottom no matter what your rank. no one needs to get blasted here, i'm looking for help to make a difference and improve, not a shut your mouth and do your job rookie attitude. Thank you for the advice, we started a union and IAFF is a large help we have a GIS survey being done. and i am suggesting some of the websites to officers and they are looking at them.
    I am not giving you a "shut your mouth and do your job rookie attitude" just telling you what reality is. This age of entitlement and empowerment is more of a step backwards then forwards. It all started with the "Open Door Policy" idea of the late 1980's. Granted the fire service is slow to grasp these ideas but they are here now.

Do you think a the worker on the line is going to tell the CEO what to do? Not going to happen. Is the soldier in the foxhole going to advise the general on what his next strategy should be? Just like a firefighter should not think he should advise the chief on what to do.

The main reason is that you do not have all the information that the chief has. He is privy to stuff above your pay grade. You'll be miserable if you try to change things from the bottom up. Your head will get hurt from banging your head.

When I started this job as a firefighter the idea of speaking with the chief, or an assistant or even my shift commander was alien. Start with your company officer, follow the chain of command. Volunteer for committees if your department has any.

I am speaking from the perspective of a company officer that had a rookie that wanted to do the same things you do. He was much happier once he figured out trying to change the department as a firefighter would not work. He now comes in everyday and does his job and is one of the best firefighters on my platoon.

Thread Information