Forum Member

Default CEU's offered through your Dept.??????

How are CEU's for EMTs and Paramedics handled in your dept? Are they made available to you on duty or off by your department or is it up to the individual to find opportunities for CEUs? I work for a department of approximately 700 members and 30+ stations. Looking for info from similar size departments.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by OSUfirepro View Post
    How are CEU's for EMTs and Paramedics handled in your dept? Are they made available to you on duty or off by your department or is it up to the individual to find opportunities for CEUs? I work for a department of approximately 700 members and 30+ stations. Looking for info from similar size departments.
    medics in our dept are given $2500 for recert, and the dept provides 24 C.E on duty (for EMT's) as well as medics. We also use Target safety.

Forum Member

We aren't quite that big of a department (100 or so employees and 16 stations) but we do have a captain that is dedicated to medical functions only. He does a 40 hour recert class every year, sometimes twice in one year. The class is setup to be run on Thursdays and Fridays for two months or so. Same class both days. We also have around 4 hours a month provided to us on the online training system we use. The local ambulance services and hospitals are always offering classes and we are invited to attend at our own cost.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

What is "Target Safety"?
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

Forum Member

Not quite that large, but everyone is offered enough CEU's to maintain their certification throught the department. It is currently done through Quarterly skills labs and class, as well as monthly on-line curricula through the National Paramedic Institute / IAFF.

ALS providers do the above, and then attend a monthly ALS training session / case review. All of this is done during regular working hours.

Once every recertification period, 2 years, ALS providers are expected to attend an EMS conference to bring in fresh ideas / perspectives (at departmental expense).

Forum Member

www.targetsafety.com

We use this too, there is a cost associated of course. But you can do the classes at home or work, and it is extremely handy. You can also store documents through the site, like SOP's, accident reports, truck check sheets and so on.

Forum Member

All con ed mandated by the state is provided by the department on "company time." We get detailed to the fire academy every so often to attend these training days.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

2 Answers for you from 2 loal career departments

Dept A: Provides a minimum of 3 hours a month per shift, 36 hrs a year of CEU's. They also provide a on-line option for addtional CEU's, a medic refresher every three years and are looking at Target Safety as well. In addition in their union contract each employee may attend outside CEU training equal to 50% of the requried hours every 3 years, the FD pays for the class and OT for attendance up to $50 and/or 4 hours per class.

Dept B: Considers your EMS certification as a conditon of employment, they provide an EMS instructor 3 times a month for 3 hours (36 Hrs per year) If you attend the session on shift you will easily recertify. They also provide one ACLS or PALS class every other year, if you take advantage of the training you have more than enough CEU's to recert if you dont your on your own. NO OT for EMS training.

Forum Member

the first place I worked had approx 20 dept's and one transport company. there are ~60 stations (all als) and 300+ emt's/medics with the ambulance company (some of course work for both). every month, a cme is offered (and required). there are usually classes 3/4 of the days of the month, at least twice, if not 3 times per day. it is administered by the local community college. pay depends on the dept. one dept may let you go on duty, another may pay you for going off duty, and another may not pay you or let you go on duty. the ambulance personnel are paid. this design may be overkill for you.
    my current dept has 40+ stations and ~900 employees, all als and includes transport. ceu's are put out by the training dept, approximately whenever they feel like it which usually is once per month, but they may release six months of ceu's in one day because they are always behind. some are bls ceu's, some are als. they are basically articles from magazines with questions at the end, posted online in PDF format. you fill out a scantron and send it in to them for grading. you aren't notified if you pass or not. they offer enough to get at least the minimum hours required for recert. they offer acls every other year for free, though you must come in off duty.

Forum Member

57 stations and about 1900 people.

EMT or paramedic certifications are considered a condition of employment so the actual process of recert and the associated fees are on the employee.

CEU's are provided by the department both on duty and off duty and range anywhere from 4 hours through the entire EMT, EMT-IV, or paramedic curriculum. We are the only fire department in the state that is able to teach ALL of its own EMS certification levels.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Covered!

County EMS has a contract with a local Junior College to provide CEU's for all people (FD & EMS) that are working in the system. We either have a 3 hour class at a training center or an on-line class monthly. Our system has almost 2000 people on the job.

My FD pays for our state EMS recerts. Not sure about the other FDs in the area.

On the fire only side, my FD will also pay for our classes and recerts for other state certs like inspector, investigator and instructor.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

i participated in a demo with a company called centrelearn solutions. everything is web based, it looks pretty good. its exactly what we need for our department.

i'm going to take it to our next budget meeting for approval, which shouldnt be hard because they're prices are great... you should check it out before you settle on another solution

my demo was with Katie Farmer, their website is www.centrelearn.com and her number was 717-277-4655.

Thread Information