Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Madison, WI Ė 2009 Hiring Process

I'm starting this thread to try and stop the resurrection of so many old, Madison threads of which there are too many:

Madison, WI
    Madison WI written test
    Madison, WI Application Period
    Milwaukee and Madison, WI departments
    Madison WI FD
    Madison WI Question
    Madison or Milwaukee Hiring?
    Madison, Testing

It becomes confusing after awhile, especially for new members. Please, let's use this thread as the area where we can discuss everything having to do with the the current, 2009 hiring process for the City of Madison Fire Department.

For those of you who lose your firefighter information sheet, this is the tentative exam schedule for the current process:

Feb 2, 2009.......................Written Exam
    May 16 Ė May 22, 2009........Physical Ability Exam Practice Sessions
    June 1 Ė June 5, 2009..........Physical Ability Exam
    July 6 Ė July 10, 2009..........Oral Board Interviews
    August/September, 2009......Interviews with Fire Chief
    October, 2009....................Recruit Class

I'm picking up where the most recent post to one of the Madison threads listed above left off, which I think is an appropriate beginning to this new thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Breech31 View Post
    so,...who is taking the written test on February 2?
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

I guess I still meet the prerequisites, so I've been invited to take the written test/personality inventory at 7 AM on Monday, Feb. 22. I know there's a second group taking the test at 12:15 PM on the same day at the Alliant Energy Center. My letter says that I'm one of 1,149 applicants who have been invited to take the written. I passed it last time, but I know two people who passed it one time and then failed the next, so I'm by no means going to take it for granted that I'll pass. Hopefully I do make it to the PAT again.

What time are you taking the test, Breech31?

Forum Member

I assuming you meant February 2, as opposed to February 22? My time is 7 am, as well. This will be my first time testing for this type of position, so I've been brushing up on some areas (math related stuff), doing some research, and just preparing, overall. I also have been preparing for their CPAT for over a month, now. I feel like I'm making good progress in both areas. Of course, I can't get to the CPAT without passing the written test/personality inventory, so one step at a time, I guess.
    Last edited by Breech31; 01-23-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Forum Member

I will be there. Taking the test at 12:15... good luck guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmine109 View Post
    I will be there. Taking the test at 12:15... good luck guys
    ..and to you, as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also will be taking the test at 12:15. Best wishes to everyone.

Forum Member

Default written

Iíll be taking this test for the second time now, last test I took was two years ago, made it all the way to the chiefs interview, hoping I can have a repeat performance and maybe get the job this time, GO Badgers

Forum Member

I will be there at 12:15 taken the test. Good luck to all!!

Forum Member

Test is coming up! Good luck to all, donít screw yourself and go out partying the night before like so many of my friends have done before. I know itís fun to drink in Madison but show some self control.

Forum Member

Default *sniff, sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire08 View Post
    Iíll be taking this test for the second time now, last test I took was two years ago, made it all the way to the chiefs interview, hoping I can have a repeat performance and maybe get the job this time, GO Badgers
    Test is coming up! Good luck to all, donít screw yourself and go out partying the night before like so many of my friends have done before. I know itís fun to drink in Madison but show some self control.
    Don't ask me why, but something smells fishy with this guy.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Just talking from experience and trying to help other people out thatís all donít take offense

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Does it really matter??
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

I tested in the afternoon for the last hiring process, so now Iím testing in the morning. Testing groups are organized by whether your last name falls in the first or last half of the alphabet. Based on your last name, Madison must alternate the time when your test is offered between 7 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. for each process, which is fair.

Madison will send out letters with test results the week of March 6, so weíll have to be patient until then. To those who are going through this process for the first time, a big envelope means youíre invited to the PAT, and small envelope means ďBetter luck next time.Ē Hereís to getting a big envelope.

Crabs, are you getting back in the Madtown mix, or are you sticking with your hometown department in Packerland?

Forum Member

Some things go without saying, if it means something to you or if you want it bad enough. Still, if you want to go booze it, by all means, have at 'er! wink-wink! LOL!

Forum Member

That's cool. Where was your oral board interview held in the last process, manonfire08? I was just curious, because I hear that it's not always held in the same place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    That's cool. Where was your oral board interview held in the last process, manonfire08? I was just curious, because I hear that it's not always held in the same place.
    The oral board interview was at the Madison Area Technical College Commercial Avenue Education Center, 2125 Commercial Ave. They had multiple boards running at the same time, they moved fast the interviews where strictly timed 4 people every 15 minutes. The chiefís interview took place at the actual headquarters on 325 W Johnson St. Hope this helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightsAndSirens View Post
    Crabs, are you getting back in the Madtown mix, or are you sticking with your hometown department in Packerland?

I'm staying put.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Well, most of that test wasn't too bad. There were just a couple lines of questioning that I had a little difficulty figuring out where I stood exactly. I tried to be as consistent as possible. What did you guys think? Top 400 is the mark for which we're shooting. I always feel a little out of sorts after a big test or interview, so I guess the best thing to do now is probably just hit the gym and not worry about it too much.

Forum Member

I looked over the prep packet they had on the Madison Website in advance of the test, so there were no real suprises for me. I've taken 'personality inventory' tests before. Never cared for 'em. I just answered them truthfully and tried to not get too wrapped up in the questions. What happens, happens I guess. Yep, I'll also be continuing to train for the CPAT, as well.

I will say this, though...what's up with those handful of people that finished their exams within an hour? Wow...either they just 'guessed' their way through it, or said "Screw it! I'm not up to this."
    Last edited by Breech31; 02-02-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Breech31 View Post
    I looked over the prep packet they had on the Madison Website in advance of the test, so there were no real suprises for me. I've taken 'personality inventory' tests before. Never cared for 'em. I just answered them truthfully and tried to not get too wrapped up in the questions. What happens, happens I guess. Yep, I'll also be continuing to train for the CPAT, as well.

I will say this, though...what's up with those handful of people that finished their exams within an hour? Wow...either they just 'guessed' their way through it, or said "Screw it! I'm not up to this."
    I was the first one to finish this morning; I was done in 1.5 hours. The trick about these tests is not to get caught up reading all of the extra stuff. Read the question and go find the answer in the paragraph. Easy as that. The personality test you donít think about the question, answer it with what comes to your mind first! See you guys at the CPAT

Forum Member

Hey, whatever works for ya. I, myself, am a pretty slow test taker. I guess you could say that I like to "analyze data." On a fire scene, I can make quick decisions, but when taking tests, I always get done toward the end.

I remembered some of the questions from last time. Most of them were pretty straight forward, but there were definitely some that were just as ambiguous as before. You know how there are those five questions or so that you look back on and wonder if those will be the ones that could potentially fail you? I hate that!

Not that it's too important, but Madison doesn't use the CPAT. They use their own PAT, which is similar.

Forum Member

Hey do what works for you. I was surprised to see they didnít have any map questions, I remember last time I really had to "analyze the data" for those questions. I donít know when they ask questions like what was the lady doing when fire fighters first arrived on scene and with in the first three lines you have the answer, why waste your time and energy to read the other 4 paragraphs? Itís pointless. Know what they are asking for and get the information. The more information you cloud your head with the higher the opportunity to get questions wrong. At least thatís my theory not that it matters. And no they donít administer a nationally recognized CPAT test but it is still a candidate physical abilities test. Just semantics though no big deal.
    Last edited by manonfire08; 02-02-2009 at 11:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another one bites the dust...

One more written test down, and I am feeling good about it as usual. See you guys at the PAT.
    Last edited by APiernot; 02-03-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Forum Member

I was surprised to see they didnít have any map questions, I remember last time I really had to "analyze the data" for those questions.
    There weren't any map questions on the previous test from two years ago. I think I heard there were map questions before that. The last process was my first time applying, so I wouldn't know.

Forum Member

Talking Yeah, I'm THAT guy!

Quote Originally Posted by LightsAndSirens View Post
    Hey, whatever works for ya. I, myself, am a pretty slow test taker. I guess you could say that I like to "analyze data." On a fire scene, I can make quick decisions, but when taking tests, I always get done toward the end.

I remembered some of the questions from last time. Most of them were pretty straight forward, but there were definitely some that were just as ambiguous as before. You know how there are those five questions or so that you look back on and wonder if those will be the ones that could potentially fail you? I hate that!

Not that it's too important, but Madison doesn't use the CPAT. They use their own PAT, which is similar.
    I'm from the same school of thought as you, Lights. Besides, I'd hate to miss some vital 'tidbit' of info. Everything you need to know for any question on the test is on the sheet, so I feel the need to read it all. Even if I finished early, I'd go back over it, and use as much time as possible. Yeah, I'm THAT guy! LOL!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information