MembersZone Subscriber

Default High Tension Cable Barrier Systems

I'm looking for examples of SOG's for High Tension Cable Barrier Systems.
    Todd D.Meyer
    Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One
    tmeyer@piercefire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Don't touch! :-)

We just received 7 miles of HTCB System on our lovely stretch of Interstate last year. We have not formalized our SOP concerning it yet; however, we have spoken with the DOT several times about it and should be training this spring with the maker/installer of the system.

From everything that we've discussed with the DOT, general rule of thumb...DO NOT touch the thing. Make every effort to extricate with the cable as is. If that's not possible, we have to call the DOT out the release the tension on the cable. Also, when working around an accident scene with HTCB, make sure to check for cable damage before you start extrication operations. If there is cable damage, you'll have to assume it could give away, so call the DOT immediately. And obviously, NEVER cut the cable.

This is what we've been told. I might reccommend going to the maker/installer of the system in your area and ask if the have a generic SOP or written guidelines regarding operations around their system.

MembersZone Subscriber

In MIssouri our cables are torqued to min spec of 5000 psi. Our SOP from the University of Missouri Fire & Resque Training is to never cut these cables as well. Keep us posted. Alan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
    In MIssouri our cables are torqued to min spec of 5000 psi. Our SOP from the University of Missouri Fire & Resque Training is to never cut these cables as well. Keep us posted. Alan
    Alan, do you happen to know if MoDOT's emergency response units carry the equipment to release the tension on the cables? I've noticed they're getting a lot more of the ERU's out there and they're pretty quick to respond when we request them.

We've had a few incidents involving the cables, but most of the time they're not extrication accidents, so it's not a huge issue. The ones that REALLY make me nervous are the vehicle fires (one that sticks out is a tractor wrapped up and burning with a pick-up next to it, also burning) when they're wrapped up in the cable. I may have spent more time worried that they'd heat up enough to weaken it to the point of breaking than I did paying attention to my crew fighting the fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Helpful web site

MembersZone Subscriber

When they installed the system here, the company did training for us.
    Cutting is a last resort, but can be done if necessary. We were advised in most cases it shouldnt be necessary.

Well the cables have been in for just over a year and we have not yet needed to cut a cable. The system works as they said it would.

Our biggest issue has been crossovers. We can no longer cross over in places we could in the past. So, dispatch needs to be more vigilant about getting the lane of travel and where the incident is in relation to interchanges and the crossovers that remain.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22, I finally got an answer from the folks in JC about the high tention systems in Missouri. Two systems high and low tention. Inthe email reply to our conversation it was stated that MoDOTs stance is that they will release the tension for you please call their response lines. Also mentioned several times was to Never Cut the Cables either system. Also stated to please contact your local MoDOT office and get to know whom you should contact in the event of an emergency. He stated the highway patrol could call the emergency respnse vehicles for the fire and ems personnel. Good luck, Alan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
    Catch22, I finally got an answer from the folks in JC about the high tention systems in Missouri. Two systems high and low tention. Inthe email reply to our conversation it was stated that MoDOTs stance is that they will release the tension for you please call their response lines. Also mentioned several times was to Never Cut the Cables either system. Also stated to please contact your local MoDOT office and get to know whom you should contact in the event of an emergency. He stated the highway patrol could call the emergency respnse vehicles for the fire and ems personnel. Good luck, Alan
    Alan, I appreciate that info. I got your email, as well. We've been able to work with MoDOT pretty well in the past few years and they've been very quick to respond to our interstate runs.

This topic just happened to make me think about the cables and if they can release them if needed. I'm getting ready to have to refresh the guys at my career department on traffic control and vehicle extrication, to I thought it'd be a good time to find out.

Thanks!

Forum Member

We actually had the need to cut one of these barriers a week ago, we walked about 60 feet ahead of the collision and made the cut without incident.

This was the Gibraltar barrier system 3 cable rail, bottom cable was laying on the ground not in the way, middle cable was severed when the vehicles collided head on and was embedded in both vehicles, and we cut the top cable which was stretched tight across the driver door blocking access to the patient.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information