Forum Member

Angry There just aren't words for this....

Man goes on rampage with knife at Belgian daycare centre; 3 dead, 12 wounded

By Slobodan Lekic, The Associated Press

DENDERMONDE, Belgium - "A man went on a rampage at a Belgium daycare centre Friday, stabbing two young children and a female worker to death and slashing 10 other children all over their bodies, officials said.

Sobbing parents rushed to the scene and to hospitals, and medical workers in the town sprung into action, performing 10 operations to save the badly wounded children.

The attack caused widespread panic in the daycare centre, which serves up to 30 children on a residential street in this town 30 kilometres northwest of Brussels.

An act of great brutality has happened here against our weakest citizens," said Mayor Buyse Piet. "The whole city is united in support for the parents who are in deep grief."

Christian Du Four, a local prosecutor, and witnesses said the man rode his bike to the Fabeltjesland daycare centre, entered about 10 a.m. and immediately began slashing a knife around. The dead included two children - the eldest no more than three - and a woman working in the daycare centre.

Du Four said in the mayhem that ensued the attacker simply walked out and got back on his bicycle before being arrested in a nearby supermarket shortly after the attack.

Dr. Ignace Demeyer, director of the local hospital, said 10 children arrived at his hospital with very serious stab wounds, all required surgery, and all were now in stable condition.

"This was a particularly violet attack. All the kids had multiple stab wounds on their legs, arms and all over their bodies," he said.

He said two adults also required surgery and also were in stable condition.

Demeyer also said 21 children were at the daycare at the time of the attack, and nine were unharmed.

Du Four did not immediately identify the suspect, who was injured as police detained him and taken to a nearby hospital. Local residents told The Associated Press the suspect had a history of mental illness.

Du Four said police showed shaken parents digital photographs of the youngsters who had been taken to the hospital, asking them to identify their children.

"People are totally in shock," said Leene Du Bois, a spokeswoman for the regional government of Flanders. "Nobody would have imagined anyone could do so much harm. There is much grief."

She said the perpetrator had no connection to the daycare centre.

The city opened up a nearby community centre to provide psychological counselling to victims and witnesses of the stabbings.

Veerle Heeren, the social welfare minister for the regional Flemish government, said she would be investigating security measures at the centre."

Forum Member

Angry

I know a few words. Hang his ***** high.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Nasty news this morning.

I'm shocked the news about the decapitated student hasn't been posted yet.

Sick people out there, man.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Nasty news this morning.

I'm shocked the news about the decapitated student hasn't been posted yet.

Sick people out there, man.
    Actually, I read about the original story yesterday, but since its kind of a bit "close to home" - I have some friends who were medics on the shooting call at VTech and ... well you get the idea.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Here it is ....

Chinese student decapitated at Virginia Tech

AFPJanuary 22, 2009

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

A file photo of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.Photograph by: Brent Foster , National Post WASHINGTON - A female Chinese graduate student was decapitated by a fellow student in a campus cafe at Virginia Tech, the scene of the worst school shooting in US history in 2007, police said Thursday.

At approximately 7:00 pm Wednesday, Xin Yang, a 22-year-old graduate student from Beijing, was killed at an Au Bon Pain cafe on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, university officials said.

They added that emergency contact records suggest that Yang and the student who murdered her, Haiyang Zhu from Ningbo, China, knew each other. According to officials, witnesses said Zhu, 25, attacked Yang with a knife.

"There were seven witnesses in the cafe. There had been no argument, no shouting" when the young woman was attacked, said Virginia Tech spokesman Mark Owczarski, confirming that Yang had been decapitated.

The Collegiate Times, the university's newspaper, said police received a 911 emergency call minutes after the assault and the officer who arrived at the scene found Yang's head had been cut off. The murder weapon, a large kitchen knife, was found at the scene.

In a copy of a police affidavit published by the Collegiate Times, the officer said that when she arrived at the scene she found Zhu holding Yang's head in his hand.

"This is horrible and tragic. Especially when we know that Virginia Tech has got its share of hardship and horror," Owczarski said.

In April 2007, Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student born in South Korea, shot 32 fellow classmates and teachers to death before killing himself.

"Once again we are challenged as a community to offer support to one another as we process this recent event. Once again we will rise to the occasion," Virginia Tech president Charles Steger said in a statement, saying the university community was "shocked" by the murder.

In a condolence statement, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine said that the latest attack "has no doubt revived terrible memories for countless members of the Hokie family."

Zhu was charged with first-degree murder and was being held at a county jail. He had not had a record with university or local police, the school indicated.

Yang had arrived at Virginia Tech in early January to begin studies in accounting. Zhu was a PhD graduate student in agriculture and applied economics.

Copyright (c) AFP

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Oops, you hadn't posted when I started mine. Sorry Rick.

I can't imagine how difficult BOTH these incidents were for the responders.

How deranged (the words I really wanted to use contain the letters F'd U) must someone be to do that to small innocent children?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information