Thread: Ok now what?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ok now what?

Just found out today that I have an interview with Cal Fire. What do they ask in the interview and what else should I be prepared to do? Thanks ahead of time for your ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.fire.ca.gov/

Start reading. Learn as much as you can...

Forum Member

Default Interview

Congrats on the interview. Like the previous post mentioned look at the dept. website and get to know them like they are family. Also one thing I used well when I got hired and was coached on, was attempting to make station visits, by getting to know specific people at diff. stations you will have a much stronger answer when they ask the question, tell us about _____ Fire Dept. ? Also by sitting down with the guys/gals on shift you will learn a ton more about the inner workings of a dept. much more so than from a website. Plus remember you want to STAND OUT, not blend it. By using info off of a website than any joe schmo can access your not standing out your status quo. So try and make every effort to get to know the dept. on a personal level. Then start practicing those interview skills, hone up your resume, and make sure you have diverse questions so you stick out. Have you ever been through any fire service interviews before?
    CL

Permanently Removed

Start with the basics-

Why should we hire you, What have you done to prepare for this position, Tell us about you background, education, training.

CAL FIRE is big on wildland firefighting- how ready are you? Do you realize that they strike team all over and you could be aon a veg. fire for weeks?

Start with those and hit us back up for more after.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Start with the basics-

Why should we hire you, What have you done to prepare for this position, Tell us about you background, education, training.

CAL FIRE is big on wildland firefighting- how ready are you? Do you realize that they strike team all over and you could be aon a veg. fire for weeks?

Start with those and hit us back up for more after.
    This is what I've wanted to do as long as I can remember. As far as ready. Give it to me. And strike team for weeks. As long as I can eat and sleep send me where ever you need me to go. If this help you Bou my interview is up in Yreka Cali.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by BWTFD2 View Post
    This is what I've wanted to do as long as I can remember. As far as ready. Give it to me. And strike team for weeks. As long as I can eat and sleep send me where ever you need me to go. If this help you Bou my interview is up in Yreka Cali.
    OK, Yreka is remote and I am going to guess that you arenít located there?

Regardless, tell them what you just told me. You want to ST out for weeks. Make it clear that you do not have any child care or family issues. (If this is the case)

An unusual job like this just takes dedication with little to no speed bumps. If you can present to them you are an ideal candidate that can endure the long hours and dedication to the agency, then you might have a shot. Employers want "hassle free" employees. Meaning less wrenches thrown in their working machines.

Remind them you have no trouble traveling long distances to work. (This is very typical of the CAL FIRE FFs) Throw in you have reliable transportation and you can stay for extended work periods if needed. (Someone calls in sick, etc...)

So show them the dedication, the willingness and lack of drama and baggage on your end and you might do well.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-26-2009 at 02:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Give it to me.

Well I'll be moving there from Wi. So I can eat sleep and Sh*t all the fire and work they can give me! One more question do I wear a tye. I've been told yes and no. How formal are Cal-Fire interviews?

Permanently Removed

I would wear a suit, a nice business type of suit. No pins on the front. (Smokey, FDNY, hydrant)

Let me know if you need more help.

Thread Information