Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default weird/scary construction

structure fire last night at the below pictured dwelling. flames through the roof upon arrival, particularly on sides A-D and B. initial reports of possible victim, approx 3 mins later bystander stated she was on phone with homeowner and there is no one inside. (kind of moot anyway, this thing was rippin') the odd/dangerous thing about this structure was that there was a swimming pool right in the middle of the house (see raised section of roof). that section was not visible upon arrival, as it had already burned. had this been a smaller fire, the attack team would have been in for quite a surprise, at best.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    structure fire last night at the below pictured dwelling. flames through the roof upon arrival, particularly on sides A-D and B. initial reports of possible victim, approx 3 mins later bystander stated she was on phone with homeowner and there is no one inside. (kind of moot anyway, this thing was rippin') the odd/dangerous thing about this structure was that there was a swimming pool right in the middle of the house (see raised section of roof). that section was not visible upon arrival, as it had already burned. had this been a smaller fire, the attack team would have been in for quite a surprise, at best.
    Kind of explains why you should know about any special hazards in your first response area doesn't it? Actually if you were following normal search procedures it shouldn't have been a big deal anyway as far as a hazard goes.

Forum Member

I suppose, though it's a single family residence that can't be seen from the road, built in the 70's, so I don't know how you expect to find out. it's also in the first response of a volunteer station (with a paid rescue which is why I was there). the vols tend to do even less area familiarization than most, though again, I don't know how you seem so confident about knowing every "special hazard" in your first due unless it's incredibly rural. not to mention virtually everyone gets roved around the county so much, that having someone who knows the area really well can be hit or miss. using normal search procedures probably would be fine, though you may lose a haligan over the edge of the pool if you happened to not be gripping it tightly enough at the time. and there's always those imperfect people who walk when it would probably be better to crawl...heck, I've even heard of some fools falling through roofs!
    anyway, there's a myriad of situations and problems that could happen with such an unusual structure, and I was really just putting it out there for information's sake, particularly addressing the fire if it weren't already fully involved. hopefully there are others that can benefit from the info, or relate some positive comments instead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Kind of explains why you should know about any special hazards in your first response area doesn't it? Actually if you were following normal search procedures it shouldn't have been a big deal anyway as far as a hazard goes.
    And exactly how do you propose the fire department finds out about renovations, alterations, additions either legal or illegal within a private dwelling?

And following normal search procedures doesn't ensure anything other than following normal search procedures.

A swimming pool located in the middle of a private dwelling is certainly an unexpected hazard. For everyone except for you I suppose.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    And exactly how do you propose the fire department finds out about renovations, alterations, additions either legal or illegal within a private dwelling?

And following normal search procedures doesn't ensure anything other than following normal search procedures.

A swimming pool located in the middle of a private dwelling is certainly an unexpected hazard. For everyone except for you I suppose.

Excellent post and I couldn't agree with you more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

I'm curious how you'd be able to get into everyone's house to scope it out. Knowing your district is important, but for private dwellings if you aren't there on a non-fire call before hand or can't see it from the outside, probably won't have a clue it's there until you call into it.

I'm not sure about you, but if I was crawling around in zero visibility and found a big hole in the floor, it'd confuse the heck out of me.

Plus does the homeowner keep the pool chemicals (i.e. Chlorine) at home? Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post

Exactly, very well said.

We all know if you follow all SOGís, SOPís and all safety procedures no one would ever be injured in the fire service.

As far as falling in the pool some on my department (as well as a few posters here on FH) wouldnít even get their feet damp as they truly believe they can walk on water

Good post reebokHCFR

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My thoughts here as well!!!! Another by the book ff huh?

I know some big city guys who fell in a indoor pool. They fight a good amount of fire. All it would take is both arms going over and the rest will follow. It is a special building consideration. The chemical thing metioned earlier is also pretty important. Bulldog share the wealth. Tell us how your department knows the ins and outs of all structures.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    OK, if these guys agreed on it you may as well have heard it from a burning bush. Sorry fellas, I couldn't help it.

I don't know how you could have gotten a heads up on this unless you (as a dept) went there on another call such as a medical and got the word out. I don't see any hints that would tell you there's a pool in the middle of it. Of course if we're looking at the house from this angle I'm driving the rig entirely too fast.

One good thing for your guys is that if that raised roof had burned away there's a good chance that the pool area was well vented so you would have a chance to realize you were on a pool deck, then actually see the pool. I'm sure nobody was looking for this. If you are where I think you are, you're south of me and nobody has a basement around me, the water table is too high.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure how you could find out if a private residence has this type of setup. Maybe something to put out there during the night out dog and pony show or something. A flyer with a list of special considerations in your home such as a handicapped, indoor pool, petting zoo, roller coaster... whatever, and a way to contact the home owners for details through email maybe???

You could plan for something like this tactically if you have a Days Inn or other motel nearby that has an indoor pool.

As far as walking on water... there has to be a class on this somewhere.

Be safe, R2

Forum Member

Nothing like going for a dip!

Many years ago the Jehova Witnesses bought and renovated an abandoned movie theater in my city. While going on a walk through the guide showed us a pool they installed for baptisms in the main hall. It's only 3ft deep and "usually covered over". Just shows you how you can find all kinds of stuff.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

a buddy of mine had a structure fire at an octagon shaped house before

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah...........

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I'm not sure about you, but if I was crawling around in zero visibility and found a big hole in the floor, it'd confuse the heck out of me.

Me Too. Especially if it was full of Water........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by RandaLL78NY View Post
    a buddy of mine had a structure fire at an octagon shaped house before
    And this one time, at band camp..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Me Too. Especially if it was full of Water........
    Try sounding THAT floor!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

I know this is "perfect world" stuff that doesn't happen everywhere, but this is where your fire inspector and building inspectors need to talk to each other. When folks build these houses and citizens do legal renovations to their property it requires a building permit and that generally leads to at least one visit from a member of the building department. I would like to think that if the two inspection teams get along with each other they give heads up on this stuff. Like I said, this doesn't happen everywhere and in some cases these additions get done without a permit etc. but you've gotta make an effort to find these things out one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by firehick View Post
    I know this is "perfect world" stuff that doesn't happen everywhere, but this is where your fire inspector and building inspectors need to talk to each other. When folks build these houses and citizens do legal renovations to their property it requires a building permit and that generally leads to at least one visit from a member of the building department. I would like to think that if the two inspection teams get along with each other they give heads up on this stuff. Like I said, this doesn't happen everywhere and in some cases these additions get done without a permit etc. but you've gotta make an effort to find these things out one way or another.
    You sure are asking a lot!

Most places this doesn't happen. I wish it happened more often and I have tried to educate our building inspector but he is just clueless.

Then again, you have to have the public get building permits too.

What I try and do is take a drive around town and watch the new construction and check it out for myself. If I think something is noteworthy, i will have a training on it. My town is small enough to do this though.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information