MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wildland Academy

Is it possible to get hired as a seasonal firefighter without the academy? I'm a firefighter in the Milwaukee Metro area. I have quite a few certs, but not much should transfer except for EMT. I was looking to moving out to San Francisco in May with a friend and thought that working a seasonal job with Cal Fire would be nice. Is it possible without the academy and being out of state? Thanks.

Forum Member

Yes, but only in units that offer a 67 hour (over 100 hours in reality) academy. These include Mendo, LNU, Humboldt, to name a few. Talk to people in these units to make sure they are running academies. Outside this, it is very hard to find an academy that is not part of a full FF1 academy. Ben Davis Training Center in riverside offers one, and there is one in Yreka and San Luis Obispo I believe. If you are serious about moving here and getting hired, make an effort to call around and get this under your belt, it will pay off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Is it possible to get hired as a seasonal firefighter without the academy? I'm a firefighter in the Milwaukee Metro area. I have quite a few certs, but not much should transfer except for EMT. I was looking to moving out to San Francisco in May with a friend and thought that working a seasonal job with Cal Fire would be nice. Is it possible without the academy and being out of state? Thanks.
    http://www.fire.ca.gov/about/about_c...otection.php#1

Being a Bay Area native, I would recommend locking-down a job out here before making the full move commitment because it's the second most expensive place in the country to live (per capita).

Good luck if you do apply, but understand that the Cal Fire seasonal positions are sought-after by thousands in-state (myself included) as it is a great job and once you get hired one season, you are automatically eligible for rehire the next season.

Finally, make sure you read the differences between applying to the Northern and Southern Units. The deadline is 1/30/2009, which is next Friday (last business day of January).

Forum Member

0h i forgot, marin county fire dept also hires seasonals, and get way fewer apps from what i hear. This is just north of san fran. Dont know much about it but they do have their own academy for new hires. Check out their website i guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply.

I know the job doesn't require anything, but is it still realistically possible without the academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I know the job doesn't require anything, but is it still realistically possible without the academy?
    From what I've "heard", the Southern Units require the CDF 67-Hour Red Card due to the large number of applicants they get. However, I do know the Northern Units do not require it to apply. Since Cal Fire puts you through their academy once hired, I don't think it is a deal-breaker if you don't have the Red Card, especially if you have other fire experience (paid, reserve/volunteer, etc)

You may also want to check out the Nevada Division of Forestry openings that CALFFBOU posted in the employment forum. The Reno/Sparks region is only about a four hour drive from the Bay Area and is a straight shot out highway 80. If you're not doing the drive every day (which you won't be), it's not that bad in the summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Without the 67 hour wildland academy or any California certs, I would think it would be quite difficult. The forest service/blm should be easier, but won't pay as well.

Thread Information