Forum Member

Default Snow covered inground pool

Our dept was dispatched to a chimney fire ( no fire ) and first on scene was a police officer. The officer walked around the the back of the house and fell into an inground pool that had -6- inches of snow on the top. Luckily he was able to catch himself before going all the way in. There was nothing to indicate a pool ( safety fence, diving board, etc...). Just thought it would be a good idea to share this.

Forum Member

Just goes to show the simplest thing can get us killed. We are completely safe because we are outside the fire building. Think agian.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I"ve heard of sounding the roof...but never the back yard!

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably parked the cruiser right in the way also!!! hahaha

Forum Member

If it was the Chief it wouldn't have mattered because they can walk on water.

Border Patrol

First fire I went to as a probie, I did the exact same thing while helping carry a ladder to the rear of the house.

Luckily the cover held and I stayed dry.

At first I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the ground was so spongy
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    If it was the Chief it wouldn't have mattered because they can walk on water.
    hahahha soooo true

Forum Member

We had a house fire one time, very simular situation, except in the summer time, and it involved an Asst Chief of a mutual aid company. Mansion on fire, well involved. Out back there was a pool, surrounded by stone decking. Eventually the pool overflowed from the run-off of the firefighting water. The stone decking was soon awash with the run-off. Between there being little light, and the water having turned dark from the sooty run off; had you not been operating in the rear of the dwelling, you never would have known the pool was there. So here comes mutual aid Asst Chief, who thinks he is just walking across a patio with an inch or two of water, and is wondering why everyone is hollering at him to STOP!!!!!! Yes, he got wet. The only injury he received was to his pride.

Moral of the story- look out everywhere for potential problems. This was before the advent of safety officers- perhaps if that fire had occurred now, the pool would have been cordoned off with yellow tape.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Asst Chief of a mutual aid company...at least he made it to the pool!

A bit off topic, but pretty close

A few months ago i was pullin hose around the DC corner of a fully involved residential fire in a rural area. As i walked around the corner my right leg was instantly waist deep in the ground. After quickly extracting myself i noticed brown liquid on my gear. Well upon inspection i noticed a depression in the ground were the septic tank had deteriorated and started to sag. Unfortunately i had failed to realize what the shallow depression was from until it was too late.

MembersZone Subscriber

My brother years ago at a rural house fire, walk over a septic tank and fell right through up to his pits..... funny because he wasnt hurt, and after a good wash with an attack line, he didnt smell too bad!

Forum Member

Was he looking for donuts or something??

Most cities, towns and counties have rules that say you have to have a fence around the pool. Here where I live you do!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Was he looking for donuts or something??

Most cities, towns and counties have rules that say you have to have a fence around the pool. Here where I live you do!!
    There was a fence, but it was on the property line. I couldn't tell you about the donuts.

Thread Information