Thread: Testing Ideas

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing Ideas

I currently live in Illinois, certified paramedic, looking to Challenge the Florida paramedic exam in a few months, I have tried looking for some type of study guide to look over before hand, but have been unsuccesfull, can anyone help a fellow medic out by possibly telling me what to study, or possibly find a study guide, Im sure the protocols are different in Florida then Illinois, as each region in Illinois is different also. The help will be deeply appreciated.

Forum Member

Are you National Registry? You will need that before you can challenge Florida. Also, the protocols will vary county by county. Florida is a good place and we need more of you guys as the State is still at a shortage as im sure the rest of the Country is still.
    Last edited by firemedic80; 01-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not have the national regristry, on the application that I printed off from the Florida health site, there were 4 options 1- taken the paramedic class in Florida, 2- certified in another state, there was an additiononal spot on the application for a rep. from that state to fill out for proof, 3-national reg. and 4- military.
    Last edited by firemedix156; 01-25-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Forum Member

paramedic programs are regulated by the DOT and are the same nationwide. this is generally speaking of course, but the material you are taught in illinois should be very similar, if not the exact same, that you would be taught in florida.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ems/EMT-P/
    also, according to that application, you are correct about not needing national registry certification.
    I would recommend any general study guide which can be found at any online bookstore, and rambling thoughts which can be found here:
    http://connect.jems.com/profile/RamblingThoughts

MembersZone Subscriber

There is at least one company that gives a FL paramedic exam prep course. It's a weekend deal. They give a handful of practice tests and talk about how the exam itself is set up (worded, common pitfalls, etc). It won't teach you how to be a FL medic but it's great to see what to expect in the way of question wording (ever taken a class that had questions worded one way then the state test was worded differently? it can throw you.) Also it is a great tool for you to see where you need to concentrate your studying. For example, every medic student has cardiology pounded into their heads and they know it well but they insist on spending most of their time studying it because it's "important" meanwhile they forgot every legal issue, or skip abdominal emergencies and that burns them. I took the class in 2001 and it helped me a lot. Someone stationed with me took it recently and had the same opinion that I had so apparently they've kept the quality up. I don't have the company name on me and I'm not sure if it is a TOS violation, but you can probably google it.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you guys great info, I am really looking forward to taking this test, the area that I live in here in Illinois is really going to s@#t, my wife and I have familiy down in the Ocala area and wanting to get out of this area. so thanks for the info and if anyone has more it will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

if you don't mind me asking, what is your short and long (if different) plan when you get down here? (as far as working for a company/dept)

MembersZone Subscriber

reebokHCFR sent you a pm

Forum Member

Forum Member

not familiar with that one personally, but I have this one and it's pretty good. most schools around here switched from the brady text to the mosby text a few years ago, so a study guide by mosby may also be worth looking in to.
    http://www.amazon.com/EMT-Paramedic-.../dp/0131128698

Forum Member

Try this guys class, I'm told it is very good and he has been doing it for a long time. I have taken many of his other classes and the instructors are very knowledgeable and teach you what you really need to know. Not to scare you off but the ratio of unemployed FF/PM to jobs is around 90:1, at least down here in S.Fla. Good luck.

http://www.medicaltraining.cc/examprep.html
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information