Forum Member

Post Explorer Rank Systems

Me and another guy in my explorer post want to get our post up and running good more than it is now. We are coming up with diffrent ideas to present to the guy who runs our post. One of our ideas was to start having ranks in explorers but were not sure on how we are going to do this. So I wanted to ask you guys if your post uses ranks and how it works? Give me some other ideas on ranks for explorers.

Thanks

Forum Member

You can have chiefs, assistant chiefs, captains, and lieutenants.
    Our Post started out having a chief and an assistant chief in '92. Sometime in between then and when I joined in 2005, we switched to a captain and a lieutenant, or 2 or 3 Lts dependant upon post size.
    Our post runs smoothly. When I got on there was 12. We got up to 15 at one point and now were down to 8. When we had 15 kids, we had a captain (who was RFRDxplorer), and 2 lts (one was myself). The capt. wrote a new SOG and had it approved by the post body that the post body would be divided into training groups with 2 or 3 explorers under each explorer officer. For that, we used our Post Number and put a name of an apparatus by it - Engine 790, Rescue 790, and Truck 790 - If we had to add another unit, it probably would have been Medic 790. This made it easy for drills and events spliting the post up evenly because we have set these up fairly. Before Jake took over as captain, we lost time at drills because the officers before him would sit down and waste a half hour spliting everyone up into even groups. Now, these groups are put in place 2 weeks after the new officers are put in and approved by the post body.

This is our standing SOG regarding officers. (ignore the color edit marks - we are in the process of re-writing.)
    http://www.box.net/shared/9327qlbtqi
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thumbs up SLFD ranks

In my post we have 2 Engine Capt. One EMS Capt. 1 President, 1 secretary, 1 treasure it works very well.

Forum Member

Our Fire department contains 7 Explorers at the Moment.
    Our rankings are as follows
    Ch-1 (Chief)
    Ch-2 (assistant chief)
    Ch-3 (Chaptin)
    Simpal but usefull
    The reason we have a low ranking system is that Our post is in a very small town that extends alittle over a mile long...I think it might be a good way to start off the ranking system

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MFDexplorer View Post
    Our Fire department contains 7 Explorers at the Moment.
    Our rankings are as follows
    Ch-1 (Chief)
    Ch-2 (assistant chief)
    Ch-3 (Chaptin)
    Simpal but usefull
    The reason we have a low ranking system is that Our post is in a very small town that extends alittle over a mile long...I think it might be a good way to start off the ranking system
    No hijack intended... but I noticed Morenci, MI. PLlease PM me your post contact info (an advisor email and phone number would be great) and we'll add you guys to our contact list for events - I'm from Rossford. I'll also send you some info on the Mock Disaster in Monroe (which is May 23rd) and a couple of explorer musters this summer - including ours which is set for the weekend of July 11th.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

For our Explorer Board, which is members of the fire department, it's President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.

However, for the Explorers, we currently just have one Lieutenant. The way we're working is we start out with one Lieutenant once we have 5 members, they become a squad, once we get another 5, we make another lieutenant, then those two can have a "Run Off" one night for who will become the captain, and then we decide who becomes the lieutenant to replace them.

I personally think that's a better idea (Chief, Assistant Chief, Captain, Lieutenants), since that's what most actual fire departments work off of, and your explorers will get the idea of how a real chain of command works.

Sorry if it doesn't make much sense. Little sleep and flu meds do that to you... :P
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

Forum Member

Default Officers

In my Explorer post in NY, We have the following,

Line Officers
    Chief
    Asst Chief

Social Officers
    President
    V.President
    Sec.
    Treasurer

The Line officers run drills and calls for the explorers and the social officers run the social events.

The reason for only 2 officers is because of the NIMS ratio of 1 officer to 3-8 people. We only have 7 explorers so one or two line officers can have a good control on the situation.

Forum Member

what ranks you have depends on the size of your post.

My post only has 20-25 members. Im currently the captain, I appointed a lieutenant and an FAO, which acts as a second lt.

Only create secretary, president and all that other bs if you really need to.. or else its just dumb and a waste of time to even worry about it.

Thread Information