Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    OK - Now time for a TECHNICAL question on pagers as an AFG Grant Item:

I'm working, for now, based on the 2008 guidance, where I found a statement in the first paragraph of Appendix 1 which states "Equipment requested under AFG must meet all mandatory regulatory requirements, as well as any national and/or DHS-adopted standards in order to be eligible for purchase with grant funds."

In researching my pager possibilities, I found that there are pagers that are APCO "P-25" compliant; but none of which are low-band. Our County operates an extensive low-band paging system, and for me to meet the "interoperability" requirement, our new and replacement pagers would also have to be part of this low-band system.

Has the P-25 issue been previously discussed as it applies to paging systems? Which would take precidence - the P25 or the interoperability?

Am I raising a concern out of something that isn't an issue?
    There are no requirements for P-25 radio equipment from FEMA but your communications equipment has to be in-line with your State's interoperability plan. You can check with your States' point of contact to make sure. There are a lot of discussions relating to this topic (not specific to pagers).

OK - Now time for a TECHNICAL question on pagers as an AFG Grant Item:

In researching my pager possibilities, I found that there are pagers that are APCO "P-25" compliant; but none of which are low-band. Our County operates an extensive low-band paging system, and for me to meet the "interoperability" requirement, our new and replacement pagers would also have to be part of this low-band system.
    I am not aware of ANY P25 pagers, I would love to see some - what did
    you find?

There is a bunch of head scratching right now at FEMA and at a couple of state levels about pagers. They are not an interoperability device - so the prevailng opinion is they will not be treated as a two way radio would be treated, ie, P25 or even state plan requirements.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I am not aware of ANY P25 pagers, I would love to see some - what did you find?

There is a bunch of head scratching right now at FEMA and at a couple of state levels about pagers. They are not an interoperability device - so the prevailng opinion is they will not be treated as a two way radio would be treated, ie, P25 or even state plan requirements.
    I'm not a radio technoid, but ours told me that there were some high-end, hi-band P25 pagers available. I don't know, it's all FM (freekin' magic) to me!

We have a "degree" of interoperability built into our paging system in that while the County provides primary dispatch for almost all 42, many of the departments that operate a base station have tone encoder capability for activating everyone else's pagers in the event that the County system is down. Trouble is, that it's all low-band... 1940's technology...
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Up to this point pagers are the only comm device I will put in a grant that does not seem to trigger the 4th State review and they are routinely funded in all configurations.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

So what happens when you are the only career department in the area and all the volunteers around you already did a regional project and we were not part of it. Can we still do a commo grant since regional isn't an option for us? Is it P-25 that says that you have to be digitial instead of analog? Anyone have any experience with digital and how well it works?

Forum Member

Not2L84U2 - why not do your own grant to further "build-out" the regional grant that occurred around you? If you could easily communicate with those around you, it would demonstrate "interagency interoperability", any towers or repeaters that you add would likely "fill" any dead or poor reception areas in the interface areas, and because the backbone of the system already exists, it would likely cost you less than a "new" system.

George S. Patton

Not2L84U2 - why not do your own grant to further "build-out" the regional grant that occurred around you? If you could easily communicate with those around you, it would demonstrate "interagency interoperability", any towers or repeaters that you add would likely "fill" any dead or poor reception areas in the interface areas, and because the backbone of the system already exists, it would likely cost you less than a "new" system.
    Thought about that, but it's just not feasible to "add on" to their system. We run 3000 calls per year and to add their radio traffic to ours would just be a bigger cluster than what it already is

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    Thought about that, but it's just not feasible to "add on" to their system. We run 3000 calls per year and to add their radio traffic to ours would just be a bigger cluster than what it already is
    Then my suggestion (for what it's worth) would be to ask for what you need, make sure that it's P25 compliant, but show some type of interoperability connection between the two systems.

Best of luck with your project!

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

DFDCar1 send me an e mail and I will share my succseeful grant that had pagers in it. ampaul@centurytel.net

Thread Information