MembersZone Subscriber

Default New NFPA turnout standards and AFG

With the new standard coming down the line stating that turnout gear must be disposed of exactly 10 years after date of manufacture, is there any word as to whether or not FEMA will change their requirements and replace 10 year old turnouts?

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought they were already using a 10-year limit on replacing gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 10yr standard is not the only new NFPA "issue" that pertains to FG gear.

Standard now says are to inspect the gear at least annually. This includes the moisture barrier.

Yr 1,2,3 this is visual. To do this you need a liner "inspection port" so you can see both sides of the MB. You paid extra to order this feature on your new gear? OR are you going to cut the stitching holding the MB and Thernal liner together. Then resew after inspection. Every year?

In yr 4-10 you are to perform a permiability test on the MB. Unless you're going to get trained on the (and the paperwork drill) and buy the equipment required you'll need to send gear back to the mfg (or a service firm). And must have "detail" cleaning before test.

So UPS to and from, clean, test. Call it $100-120/set and gear is gone for a week. EVERY year. How's that gong to work for you?

FG equipment requires compliance with NFPA.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    The 10yr standard is not the only new NFPA "issue" that pertains to FG gear.

Standard now says are to inspect the gear at least annually. This includes the moisture barrier.

Yr 1,2,3 this is visual. To do this you need a liner "inspection port" so you can see both sides of the MB. You paid extra to order this feature on your new gear? OR are you going to cut the stitching holding the MB and Thernal liner together. Then resew after inspection. Every year?

In yr 4-10 you are to perform a permiability test on the MB. Unless you're going to get trained on the (and the paperwork drill) and buy the equipment required you'll need to send gear back to the mfg (or a service firm). And must have "detail" cleaning before test.

So UPS to and from, clean, test. Call it $100-120/set and gear is gone for a week. EVERY year. How's that gong to work for you?

FG equipment requires compliance with NFPA.
    I just went through a class to be able to do this. The class was only about 4 hours long and it really isn't that bad. I had thought he told me that year 1 & 2 was only visual but at year 3 you had to do the hydrostatic test.

The hydrostatic test is NOT hard at all. The hardest part about it is taking the time to tear the gear apart to do it. You just have to have a hydrostatic tester to do the test. With a simple pump, some pvc, and a pressure gauge you can make one yourself. I have one picture of the unit I am trying to reference but I am trying to get my hands on more pics as well.

If you contact most manufacturers, they will probably come out and put this class on for you at no cost as long as you get 10-20 of your buddies together to make it wort their while. The way I understand it as well is that even if you are trained by a Cairns rep then you can still do the servicing on any gear product.

Forum Member

Not2L84U2, could you email me the information that you have on this. We are looking at new turnouts this year and it would help me sell it to the town if I could justify saving them money by becoming licensed to inspect. I understand the class part, but hydro test is the biggest thing that I want info on.

blandfordfd@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Forum Member

I stand corrected, the hydrostatic testing starts after year 3 not on it.

Thread Information