Forum Member

Default Rescue tool grant

We are going for new rescue tools this year. Right now we have one complete set of rescue tools, new airbag system and 2 AED's. In addition to a new set of rescue tools I would like to get a porti-combi set for another engine. Are we better off focusing our grant on replacing the existing set of tools insteading of adding another set of tools to the grant. Our need is to replace the existing set of tools. Can we also request 2 AED's and a TIC or should we just focus on the rescue tools. Any insight would be great thanks.

Forum Member

Stay away from the shopping cart approach. If your existing tools do not work or have limitations then try and replace them. If your second engine is tied up at a scene, and there is an accident across town,with an extend mutual aid response time you can certainly make an argument for two sets,plus two of the same sets are easier for personnel to train and learn on.

Forum Member

You also need to look at the number of vehicle extrications you are performing per year. It is going to ask that in the application and if your number is low then it is hard to justify. If your need is for a TIC then maybe that should be the venue to persue or if for AEDs then go after AEDs as a project

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    You also need to look at the number of vehicle extrications you are performing per year. It is going to ask that in the application and if your number is low then it is hard to justify. If your need is for a TIC then maybe that should be the venue to persue or if for AEDs then go after AEDs as a project
    So if we only do about 10 actual extrications a year this would not warrant a request for new tools?

We do have a need to replace a 10 year old TIC and to purchase one for our other engine. Could we put the TIC with other equipment like supply or attack hose?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    So if we have an average of 10-12 actual extrications a year, then we would be hard to justify a rescue tool grant?

Your departments statistics, mutual aid agreements, and equipment replacement plan should guide your grant project. These are not the only things, but as far as equipment, they need addressed. Also, have you had to spend money on your rescue tools to refurb them, are they operating at less than factory specs, are there safety factors being compromised, are they nickle and diming your budget? These are the kinds of questions you need to answer because the peer reviewers will be asking them to themselves when they read your grant. Also, as with the other replies, keep your grant focused on what is the most pressing need you have in regard to providing the best service for your community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ulrichc View Post
    Your departments statistics, mutual aid agreements, and equipment replacement plan should guide your grant project. These are not the only things, but as far as equipment, they need addressed. Also, have you had to spend money on your rescue tools to refurb them, are they operating at less than factory specs, are there safety factors being compromised, are they nickle and diming your budget? These are the kinds of questions you need to answer because the peer reviewers will be asking them to themselves when they read your grant. Also, as with the other replies, keep your grant focused on what is the most pressing need you have in regard to providing the best service for your community.
    Our rescue tools have been refurbed before about 5 years ago, the last thing we did a couple of years ago is replace the engine on the generator. I guess I did not clarify our need, our rescue tools are over 20 years old and have since been out of service since beginning of 2008. They are too cost prohibitive for the department to replace. I just found out last week that my dept equipment budget is being slashed 25% this year. Right now we rely on mutual aid for any extrication that is needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mwnhfd1 View Post
    Our rescue tools have been refurbed before about 5 years ago, the last thing we did a couple of years ago is replace the engine on the generator. I guess I did not clarify our need, our rescue tools are over 20 years old and have since been out of service since beginning of 2008. They are too cost prohibitive for the department to replace. I just found out last week that my dept equipment budget is being slashed 25% this year. Right now we rely on mutual aid for any extrication that is needed.
    If this is the departments greatest need you need to go for it. What you have listed is good ammo for the narrative. I helped work on an application that was awarded this year. The department was funded for a complete set of HRT, air bags, rams and a combi tool. They did about 150 accidents a year with about 13 extrications.

Remember think outside the box, HRT's can have more applications for use than just car accidents.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was able to get awarded a grant recently for new extrication tools. We were in about the same situation as you. The biggest thing will be to write a compelling narrative and you should have no problem.

Forum Member

I would love to hear what the funding levels are for a complete set of Rescue Tools and what is to be included with the set. I do have estimated replacement costs, and I want to see how "out of whack" they are. Anyone have reductions on this equipment??? Thank you in advance.

Kelly

Forum Member

My narrative was for the same equipment as you are looking for. I made it till the last round of DJ's. I believe that we were denied for the lack of actual extrications. Luckly we were able to replace the tools with our private fund raising money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    I would love to hear what the funding levels are for a complete set of Rescue Tools and what is to be included with the set. I do have estimated replacement costs, and I want to see how "out of whack" they are. Anyone have reductions on this equipment??? Thank you in advance.

Kelly
    The above was reduced to just over $55,000 from $70,000. Found no breakdown for the individual pieces, priced as a complete system.

This is the pricing I have recieved for an HRT to replace ours.

Pump: $8,605
    Cutter: $5,423
    Spreader: $5,917
    Large Ram: $4,500
    2-32' hydraulic hoses: $1,644

Total: $26,089

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone willing to share a narrative? djc64@juno.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep an eye an CEDAP grant, it is the tool and system they provide and not your wish. But if you have a old tool and REALLY need a new one and think you can justify it you would take the one they provide as it is better than the one you currently have. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Thank you for the information Bugle. That is very helpful. As far as CEDAP, we will not qualify since we have been awarded an AFG the past two years. Thanks again.

Kelly

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    If this is the departments greatest need you need to go for it. What you have listed is good ammo for the narrative. I helped work on an application that was awarded this year. The department was funded for a complete set of HRT, air bags, rams and a combi tool. They did about 150 accidents a year with about 13 extrications.

Remember think outside the box, HRT's can have more applications for use than just car accidents.
    Onebugle can you email me this narrative to mworsman@yahoo.com. I would greatly appreciate it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wischief View Post
    I was able to get awarded a grant recently for new extrication tools. We were in about the same situation as you. The biggest thing will be to write a compelling narrative and you should have no problem.
    Wischief can you email me your narrative to mworsman@yahoo.com. I would greatly appreciate it!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mwnhfd1 View Post
    Onebugle can you email me this narrative to mworsman@yahoo.com. I would greatly appreciate it
    I would if I could, but I can't; it does not belong to me. Sorry. What you posted for issues is similar to the one I worked on. You need to expand on them and explain with some detail.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were awarded $35,643 which included the following:

Spreader
    Cutter
    Ram
    Ram Support
    Hydraulic Pump
    Hoses
    Air Bags
    Cribbing
    Vehicle Stabilization Struts

MembersZone Subscriber

celsokid and mwnhfd1, I have e-mailed a copy of our successful narrative, that was awarded in 2008.

Thanks,

Gary

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireemtp View Post
    celsokid and mwnhfd1, I have e-mailed a copy of our successful narrative, that was awarded in 2008.

Thanks,

Gary
    I wouldnt mind seeing a couple narratives also. If anyone is willing, please send to imafireman@yahoo.com Thanks a bunch.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Combi Tool

Please Help my ignorance! Looks like I will get my truck company equipment grant in which I asked for a hrt combi tool. AFG cut my request to 5100 dollars for that specific item. What can I get for that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Elwood, did you ask for just the tool or a pump and hose also? Otherwise I would think you could find just the combo tool for close to that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default tool

I checked and I requested a combination powered tool to include cutter and spreader. I wonder if they will let me purchase a reconditioned tool?

Thread Information