Default Need help from professionals. A home protection question

First I am new to this forum and thank all of those who serve to protect us.

I have a 22 acre rural homesite that is a mountain with a 2500sf ranch style home on the top. I have 50ft cleared (no trees) all around the home. The weeds have been cleared to 75+ around the home. I have a 2 inch buried water line that surrounds my home and the mountain top. There are 7 variously spaced stand offs that each have a 1 1/2 threaded brass fittings & gate valve attached for hose connection. This is kind of my homemade fire infrastructure. The house is stucco on concrete slab with a comp. roof and made of SIPs (structural insulated panels). There is no attic or roof vents on the home. The system is fed by a 2500 water tank (400 ft away)and a 3HP electric water pump. I also have generator back-up for the pump.

Now that you know a little about the homesite here are my questions.

How important would it be for me install and have available a way for your truck to pressurize my underground water pipe system?

Would you rather run a line from my tank 400 ft away and use your own distribution?

I currenty have a gate valve on the water tank that has a large 3.5 inch male hose thread on it. Is this ok?

Would it be a good idea to install some type of sprinkler system on my roof?

My propane tank is a 100 gallon and sits against the house. Should I have a sprinkler set-up to keep it cool?

Thanks

Forum Member

While you would probably get some really good suggestions from people here, I think it would be more appropriate if you contacted your local fire department about this. The equipment and capabilities of departments vary widely. For instance, my department uses 1.5" and 2.5" hose; we don't have 3.5" couplings on anything. Your local department may or may not have the adapters needed to hook up to your system. BEFORE an emergency occurs is the time to sort this out.

I wish more people in rural areas (like mine) would put this much thought into what is required to protect properties in the event of fire. It would make our job easier and make it safer for the property owners. Kudos to you for putting this much effort into your planning!

Forum Member

Gotta second Poorboy. I can tell ya right now the my Engine's will be able to hook up to 1.5, and 1 inch National Hose, and Pipe thread. Other than that Can't help you too much with hooking up to your system.

2500 Gals. and a system that you can move water into with your own set-up is awesome. Becasue if things get to hairy, and we have to leave, we can leave that water going. Kudos, there.

Any type of hole that we can get draft hose into that big tank will be amazing too.

Propane tanks have a vent that will allow the gas to vent if it becomes to hot, preventing a BLEVE.

In a Nutshell any type of a Water set-up that we can turn on and leave on, is a good idea. Set your sprinklers up any way you want to keep water going on what is important to you.

Look Into the fire-wise programs, Contact your local FD, and if you do have a home protection set-up in place, use it or leave it readly avaliable to us.

Forum Member

Talk to the local fire department/BLM/Forest Service. I come out of Cali and the largest brass I carry is a 4" to 2.5" reducer. Then I carry some pretty standard 2.5" stuff. 3.5 might be a bit frustrating. What is the refill time on your tank? Sounds like a pretty interesting system. Kudos for being on top of things. Look into the local rules and regs., but if your propane tank is right next to your house. You may want to move it away. Look into fire safe/wise councils. They are killer help!
    Last edited by FortechFEO; 02-02-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Talk to the local fire department/BLM/Forest Service. I come out of Cali and the largest brass I carry is a 4" to 2.5" reducer. Then I carry some pretty standard 2.5" stuff. 3.5 might be a bit frustrating. What is the refill time on your tank? Sounds like a pretty interesting system. Kudos for being on top of things. Look into the local rules and regs., but if your propane tank is right next to your house. You may want to move it away. Look into fire safe/wise councils. They are killer help!
    The largest I have seen on a fs engine in Region 4 (Nevada, Utah, part of Idaho) is 2.5," and usually we only carry 2.5" NH (although I carry an NPSH 2.5" fitting on my engine).

Forum Member

FortechFEO is right, consider moving the propane tank. If fire does reach the tank it will add to your problems. If it starts to off gas and the fumes find their way into the house all your good work will go boom.

Forum Member

Default protection

Not mentioned so far is some form of earth embankment to deflect heat and provide a sheltered area if required. The top of a rise can lead to temperatures in excess of 2000f depending on the wind and fuel loading lower down. Cheapest and simplest bunker is a buried container.

Check the location of the blow off valve on the propane tank. It should blow away from the house. Sometimes these are not installed the way they should be.

Interesting topic as I sit on top of my sand hill surrounded by trees waiting for a day of extreme fire danger to arrive tomorrow. Two weeks ago we lost over 200 souls and yet no one has done any cleaning up ahead of tomorrow including myself. I do have a cleared area to fall back to and a MF 135 with a 400ltr spray unit sitting 6 feet away ready to go if required.
    Last edited by wombat; 03-02-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: edit
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sled4fun View Post
    First I am new to this forum and thank all of those who serve to protect us.

I have a 22 acre rural homesite that is a mountain with a 2500sf ranch style home on the top. I have 50ft cleared (no trees) all around the home. The weeds have been cleared to 75+ around the home. I have a 2 inch buried water line that surrounds my home and the mountain top. There are 7 variously spaced stand offs that each have a 1 1/2 threaded brass fittings & gate valve attached for hose connection. This is kind of my homemade fire infrastructure. The house is stucco on concrete slab with a comp. roof and made of SIPs (structural insulated panels). There is no attic or roof vents on the home. The system is fed by a 2500 water tank (400 ft away)and a 3HP electric water pump. I also have generator back-up for the pump.

Now that you know a little about the homesite here are my questions.

How important would it be for me install and have available a way for your truck to pressurize my underground water pipe system?

Would you rather run a line from my tank 400 ft away and use your own distribution?

I currenty have a gate valve on the water tank that has a large 3.5 inch male hose thread on it. Is this ok?

Would it be a good idea to install some type of sprinkler system on my roof?

My propane tank is a 100 gallon and sits against the house. Should I have a sprinkler set-up to keep it cool?

Thanks
    Lots of Good things in your message. If you don't mind me asking, What part of the world are you in?? Reason I'm asking, your Questions certainly deserve answers, but there are different circumstances that apply, depending on where you are. For instance, a Cleared area that you describe above might not be enough in Southern California, but it is quite adequate here in Maryland. Fuel Loadings in the surrounding terrain are important as well. In regard to the Propane Tank, here in my neck of the woods, they are Required to be buried if installed after a certain date. (I think about 6 or 7 years ago) There are some other things as well.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information