Forum Member

Question No Officer: Who's in Charge

I am the captain of a very rural fire department in Northwest Ohio and we are currently undertaking the task of redoing are Standard operating procedures. Last night we started to review the chain of command as it pertains to our Fire Department and our Mutual Aid agreements. Being a volunteer department we are lucky enough to an officer on most calls, but in discussing the instances when an officer wasn't available? Who is in charge? Arguments were made in favor of the most senior member, the most senior Firecard holder or do you just leave it to the ones on the engine to hash it out? Needless to say an hour and a half later we had no real answer and was curious to what other department thought?

Remembering, the most senior member isn't exactly the most experienced.

Thanks for the help

Forum Member

If no officer is on the call, then we use the most senior apparatus driver. Does not have to be the person operating the apparatus at the time.

Forum Member

Sounds like some review of ICS 100, 200, 700, and 800 are in order along with NIMS. The first responder on scene that calls command is the Incident Commander.

MembersZone Subscriber

With no officer present, the most experienced firefighter rides the seat. That person takes command until an officer arrives. That officer may be from a mutual aid department if none are responding from our department.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    With no officer present, the most experienced firefighter rides the seat. That person takes command until an officer arrives. That officer may be from a mutual aid department if none are responding from our department.
    This is how they work it with Malahat, Mill Bay and Shawnigan Lake VFD's. Seems to have worked very well so far. It was always the most senior person in the first arriving vehicle, and then it may or may not get passed up, depending on the situation. A lot of times if the Chief or DC arrived a bit later, they would often leave command with whoever had it initially. The idea was to give command experience for the time when maybe neither could be there. Of course situation dictates.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We say whomever is in the officer's seat is the person in charge. This could be the most senior, or one of the newer guys, or someone with the most training. Regardless of who it is, if you sit there, you are in charge. People know that and whoever does not want that responsibility, they don't sit there.

If you want help with SOG's, send me an email and I send you a copy of ours. No sense of re-inventing the wheel right?
    dickeydo@charter.net
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

No sense of re-inventing the wheel right?
    Just borrow someone elses wheel. [quoted from Big Al, Medic (retired) Vienna, VA Jan 07.]
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-30-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    What he said.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Passenger seat of first apparatus assumes command (upon leaving the station). If needed due to incident complexity and/or the person in command doesn't feel they are capable of running the incident command may be transferred to a more experienced member or officer. Otherwise if they are confident and things go well, no reason to transfer command. Seems to me to be the only way to get newer members and less experienced people the time needed in the command role to feel comfortable and gain the experience needed to be proficient. They may be shadowed by a senior member or officer for guidance, but no sense in automatically tranferring command to an officer just because. Got to get some experience built for those folks as well, after all they will no doubt be senior members or officers in the future.
    Last edited by sdff1520; 01-30-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Believe it or not,I have been IC twice due to being the only guy to respond.Once when an ambulance was called to my trailer park,and all the officers figured I could handle guiding them to the right house and then knew to let the real responders handle it.The other time was when it was a wreck with no injuries.I handed off to the first county S.O. that arrived and left it at that.
    I did get help filling out the reports,though.
    Anyway,the usual practice on my old volunteer department was that if no officer responded to the initial tone(VERY rare),the senior guy was the driver and IC until an officer DID arrive to take over.
    There were some calls where newer members all eat up with carrying a pager that they also carried their radio so they could announce their response and updated locations.If it turned out to be an unfounded call,i.e. someone calling in a fresh lit off fireplace as a structure fire,the officers would go to the station just in case something did happen,sometimes passing the address,and let the nugget make all the radio calls and then let them know to come to the station for the report.
    It ws our version of snipe hunting.

Forum Member

Here's the chain of command that has been in effect since i first joined the fire service almost 35 years ago:

Fire Department Chain Of Command:

Effective 11/1/75

Chief Of The Department

1st Assistant Chief

2nd Assistant Chief

Deputy Chief

Captain of first arriving Engine Company.

Captain of first arriving ladder/fire patrol/rescue Company

1st Lieutenant of first arriving Engine Company

1st Lieutenant of first arriving ladder/fire patrol/rescue company

2nd Lieutenant of first arriving Engine Company

2nd Lieutenant of first arriving ladder/fire patrol/rescue company

First arriving Ex-Chief

First arriving Ex-Captain

First arriving Apparatus

Company Level Chain of Command:

Captain

1st Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

First Arriving Ex-Captain

Driver

District Staff Officers Chain of Command:

District Safety Officer

District Training Officer

District Records Officer

It's worked well for the department over the years and as such i don't think there's been any modifications made to it.

Thread Information