Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If that is military behavior...I'm glad I'm not in the military.

Thank God the Secret Service is so wonderful.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Everyone in the Inaugural Parade with specifically instructed not to make ANY gestures towards the President, this was not made by any protocal officer, but rather the Secret Service. Sounds stupid but this guy put his life in danger by making that little gesture.
    If this is truly the case, the Secret Service should have also instructed the President to not wave, smile, or gesture to anyone in the parade so he could have looked like a ***** as well.

Additionally, if a nod and a very slight wave is a national security risk, they should have further instructed the drum major to keep his hands by his sides at all times, not swinging back and forth to the beat of the march where it could be construed as some kind of threat to the President.

If what this man did was out of line and "risked his own life", they should have canceled the F'ing parade and all future public appearances of the President.

I agree with Chief Harve's first post.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    If that is military behavior...I'm glad I'm not in the military.

Thank God the Secret Service is so wonderful.

If the fire service is not loosely based on the military in regards to rank structure and discipline,why bother with rank?
    On my old vollie department we could get away with telling the Chief or Captain that"Rich,I got the jaws pump going now." or "Willie,where you want the U-truck parked for lights?" but I always thought paid departments were different unless the officer wanted his guys to front name him with something other than his rank.
    Back to the original topic,UNLESS the guy was in the lead and was supposed to be the one rendering honors to the new President,he wasn't supposed to wave,nod or even blink in "tap code" but maintain his position and stay in step and tune.
    It wouldn't look good for a tuba player to belch any sour notes while passing the reviewing stand.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Everyone in the Inaugural Parade with specifically instructed not to make ANY gestures towards the President, this was not made by any protocal officer, but rather the Secret Service. Sounds stupid but this guy put his life in danger by making that little gesture.
    First of all, if everyone in the parade was told not to wave at the president... then why was he waving at them? One has to expect that at least one or two people who are waved at by the leader of free world will wave back at him.

Besides, there's no way the secret service was going to shoot every person along the parade route that waved at the president -- and there were thousands of those. So I'm guessing they weren't going to take out a drum major for his half wave / half salute / wink gesture. Especially since the people in the parade were probably screened better than the people along the route.

So, forgive me, but as strange as the Secret Service might be, I'm not buying the idea that he "put his life in danger."

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I was Videotaping the apparatus lineup from the Hosebed of Glenn Dale's Engine and a U.S.Park Police Lt. came RUNNING up to tell me to fold up the Tripod that I was using.
    Tripods are a big no-no around the White House, which makes sense... If someone is going to disguise a weapon as a camera, they want you to at least have an unsteady aim.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Personally, I also agree that the whole fiasco is exactly that, a fiasco. It takes a lot of experienced parade discipline to NOT wave and smile/nod at people who have lined up to watch You march past. For most of us, that is not really a problem. Even I am guilty of small waves to the smaller kids, especially if they know me and actually see/recognize me.

When the "Boss" waves at you, its usually an automatic response to acknowledge the, for lack of better words, "salute".

Privately, I think (again from a certain amount of experience) that the Secret Service are just a bit too full of themselves. Like Cosmosis said, if they were so uptight about the whole Do Not Wave thing, then there should be several 1000s of folks in detention pending investigation by the SS.

Should have followed the rules of the parade and his unit.

This isn't about a fire department, this is more about being a part of a band. Never having been in band, it seems that there is a high level of structure and discipline (all that marching in step kind of thing). He let his band-mates down.

If he wanted to wave to the president, he could have joined the other million people watching it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Tripods are a big no-no around the White House, which makes sense... If someone is going to disguise a weapon as a camera, they want you to at least have an unsteady aim.[/QUO
    Never thought of that. Thats very interesting.

I do not know how to feel about this either,
    I filled in for flag duty once or twice in the Army and know the hell you would pay for pulling a stunt like that in formation. However love him or hate him he is the Commander in Chief. If he acknowledges you invidually it could be taken as a sign of disrespect not to reciprocate. Maybe salute rather than wave? I agree though I think there was something behind the scenes nobody is being told bad blood that may have been festering or something to cause the suspension.

were all para-militaristic government workers. but were not the military..right?

It is a fact that parade participants were instructed by the USSS to not make any gestures toward the reviewing stand while marching by. A few groups did have performances in front of the viewing stand so obviously there were exceptions.

John Coleman was suspended from the band, and then resigned. He did not lose his paying job. I feel sorry for him to a point, but he also did not follow the rules that his organization operates under.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    However, marching past the reviewing stand clockwise is very unusual. In all the parades I've been involved in, we have always marched counter-clockwise, to give the "eyes-right". Very odd, but hey. It was "His" parade!
    Force of habit, Obama's used to being on the left...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

One time at Band Camp ....I was suspended for waving at a Chipmunk.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    One time at Band Camp ....I was suspended for waving at a Chipmunk.
    Like you were just waving at the Chipmunk....
    Richard Gere in "A fire Office and a Gentleman"
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information