Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mask Glasses

Forum Member

Default Mask Glasses

Hey all. My fire instructor said that they sell some kind of safety glasses that are prescriptions and you can wear them in your mask. I'm not talking about the kind that clip into your mask. These are just normal glasses that have a flat strap and they also can be used for safety glasses?

Anyone know where I can get a pair of these, and how much

Thanks

Forum Member

This is probably what he is talking about.
    http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tam...6&M5.ctx=30386
    I have seen guys with these.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Did the same instructor also happen to advise you that NFPA and OSHA regulations no longer allow you to have any penetrations of the facepiece, including those flat rubber straps?

I have this fight on here about once a year with one or two other posters who are adament that they think they should be allowed to use the rubber strap glasses. They accuse me of being a safety susie for insisting that the proper, manufacturer approved and supplied mask spectacle kit is used. And my answer to them is always the same- what are they going to do if they receive a respiratory injury due to seal failure caused by the innappropriate use of an accessory- and their workmans comp claim is denied (which can, has and will continue to happen!!!!!!)

There are 3 reasons why you have NO REASON not to obtain the approved spec kits-
    1. Readily available through the supplier of the SCBA which you are wearing
    2. In most states, your employer (and this includes Volunteer Depts) are required to supply them if you are required to wear SCBA
    3. Approved by the Mfr of the SCBA.

The same guys that cry about not being able to use the rubber strap glasses like to cry that "well if the US Military approves of them for use with Chem or Bio masks (like the M-40) it should be good enough for firefighting!" GUESS WHAT!!!!????? The rubber strappy glasses are no longer approved (and havn't been for well over 6 or 7 years now) for use with the M-40 and all other CBRN masks used by our armed forces. Query to those same guys if they choose to revisit this topic: Do you REALLY want to take the chance, this day in age, no matter how small a face seal penetration, with CB agents such as Anthrax- who's spores are among the smallest known to man?
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-29-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Proof of Rubber Straps being approved

Name:  Hansen Brothers.bmp
Views: 272
Size:  58.6 KB

Here is your proof Randy, if they are good enough for the Hansen Brothers they are good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    blah blah blah safety susie blah blah
    I don't need corrective lenses, I just use the glasses with the rubber straps 'cause I think they make me look cool. I tell all my buddies to do it, too. As a matter of fact, I passed out a couple of dozen as Christmas gifts.

Doesn't that just drive you bat*****?

P.S.-

7 hours to reply? you're slipping.

Calabash, if you're on an actual fire dept., and your instructor is an actual firefighter, maybe you should listen to him instead of an internet oilman.

Hey Clancy, I missed you old buddy......Here we are a few years later, and you STILL havn't answered my question.....Care to take a stab at it now, or are you going to continue to ignore it for consistency and old times sake?

Default Nonsense

The only time you need your face piece is when you are in smoke. Glasses don't help you see through smoke.

FORGET the glasses.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The only time you need your face piece is when you are in smoke. Glasses don't help you see through smoke. FORGET the glasses.
    Sorry, but not all smoke conditions are 0% visibility. If there is something -- anything -- to see, I want to be able to see it. Therefore, I wear the spec kit with my Scott mask.

And lets not forget Haz Mat incidents, CO meter activations, etc etc etc.

Come on,you just woke Robert up.Give him a minute to adjust to his surroundings. There now,what Buff said. T.C.

I think this is what he was talking about. Most SCBA manufacturers make a kit to fit on the inside of your mask for perscription glasses. Here are a couple links:

http://www.industrialvisioncorp.com/...msa816137.html
    http://www.industrialvisioncorp.com/...its/index.html
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I don't have to wear them... yet but I know a few people who do. One guy loved his another couldn't stand them and doesn't use them anymore. I believe a few companies do the glasses inserts, might be worth checking out each one before plunking down cash. Like I said I don't know to much about them. This was just brought up to me in idle conversation

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The only time you need your face piece is when you are in smoke. Glasses don't help you see through smoke.

FORGET the glasses.
    You're being too absolutist, brohim. As a previously blind as a bat wearing eye patches, there were times when my rec specs (strap jammed neatly beneath the nose cup--take that NFPA!) helped me see the wee bit one can see under many conditions inside.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Thread Information