Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

The ability to transfer around with the USFS is pretty good.

Forum Member

Is it just kinda like walking up and saying i wanna go work in Idaho for a type 2 Crew?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Is it just kinda like walking up and saying i wanna go work in Idaho for a type 2 Crew?

Sorta, you still need to apply and compete for the job desired. And you can compete for jobs in the BLM & NPS. Often there is a "Transfer of Station" whereby ionce you accept a new job, the govt will pay to move you. However this isn't always available, so you have to read the announcements carefully. Plus it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if TOS is an option if they don't outright state yea or nay.
    Last edited by RxFire; 02-19-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Sometimes getting a promotion means moving...Pretty much nation wide mobility with a Fed career.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

So where are the Hot spots for the Federal Firefighter? Better yet whats the pay grade like?

Forum Member

As for hotspots, it depends on your view... SoCal makes the news alot, and has some great fires, but it comes with a cost... it's hard to live in SoCal on what the feds pay. Northeastern CA has lots of timber and sagebrush rangelands, and not as much urban interface as SoCal (again, locality dependent), and may be less expensive.

Unfortunately, CA as a whole is expensive to live in compared to some other states. I'm in the middle of nowhere Oregon, and love it... I have timber fires and sagebrush fires, and the cost of living is not skyhigh. I would go back to parts of CA if I could afford it, but the cost of living and other personal preferences will probably keep me out.

I would say you need to decide what area would fit your lifestyle and concentrate your efforts on getting there.

Here ( http://www.opm.gov/flsa/oca/09tables/html/RUS_h.aspis ) the 2009 hourly wage for the continental US (exlcuding areas of higher pay to reflect higher cost of living) and the annual salary for the same area http://www.opm.gov/flsa/oca/09tables/html/RUS.asp

IMO the annual salary tables are just a loose guide as to what you will earn, since in the feds there are various pay differentials that increase your wage, that the salary table can't capture. Not to mention that the salary table makes the assumption that you will work year round... when in reality you only work for 6 months, but still earn as much or more of the yearly salary in just 6 months.

Nice thing about the feds is there is more travel opportunity with details and fire assignments.

Good Luck
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

See the message above! Some other areas that might be enjoyable...Eastern Washington and Western Montana. Cali seems to be where the jobs and money is at.

RX
    With the housing collapse you can buy a nice 3 bedroom home for 150K. Two three bedroom homes on my street just sold for a 100 and 125 K. two - three year old construction at most. Lol..Hilarous except I am buried in my little 1 bd loft home.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

As far as previous traings and Certs. What makes some one a lil more Desirable? Is there any specific Certs that will bump you ahead of the game? And as far as PTB’s go what type of requirements are on them? I have quite a few of mine signed off from State, and local Fire Guru’s, (all of which are Qualified to sign)Will they still recognize them or will I have to start over, and go with all Federal Signatures?

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked on a Hotshot Crew from 2000 - 2007, 4 years full time. Documentation is key when going to a municipality, so keep good records of classes, certs and fire exp. If the dept you are interested in is involved in wildland fires then ENGB is the way to go. If not, focus more on how to use the fed experience for the interview process.

Forum Member

Depends on who you transfer in with...Hotshot crews will most likely bump you back to the bottom of the food chain as PTB's go. It actually really depends on the forest you decide to go to as to if you will get reciprocy from a municipal agency. I'm actually currently dealing with this problem for one of my employees.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information