Forum Member

Default Question for departments that use 2" hose in the Pacific NW

Hey all,

I'm trying to find 200 feet or so of used/surplus 2" attack line with 1.5" NH couplings. I hate to say it, but cost is a major factor. The hose will only be used for demonstration/evaluation purposes in a non-fire setting, so stuff that is headed for the dumpster that I can have for free is OK as long as it will hold water. I am located in the Portland metro area, and will come pick it up at your location and convenience.

Just a little background for those who are wondering what the deal is. I am a career member of a small combo department. We run a grand total of 4 career members on-duty 24/7, with an additional career member on-duty during weekdays. We rely on about 18 volunteers, 4 chief officers, and a whole lot of mutual aid for back up when we have a job. Just to make it even more fun, we also transport. So if the medic is out on a run, it is just the Captain and A/O on the engine. John Wayne time baby!

Right now our engines are set up with the traditional 1.75"/2.5" attack lines using 100 psi Elkhart automatics. Because of our pathetic manpower situation, we rarely use 2.5" hose as an interior attack line because of the weight and high nozzle reaction. Now before anyone says anything about solid bore nozzles, let me say that our higher ups have said absolutely "NO WAY" to them. They will only allow us to use fog tips. There is also Resistance to bumping up the pressure on the 1.75" lines. We run 120 psi on the pump at all fires, and it is likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

We do have one low pressure TFT auto though (50-200 gpm @ 75 psi), and I am trying to get the powers that be to let us put a 200' 2" attack line with a low pressure tip on each engine. Ideally I'd like to put a TFT Metro 2 with the 250 gpm @ 50 psi baffle on the line, but right now I just need to prove "Proof of concept" with what we have. The bottom line is that I have little to no money to spend on this project, so I'm in "Beg, borrow, & steal" mode.

So there you have it. If you can help me out, please PM me with details.

Thanks

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Logistically I can't help you with hose but my volly FD has been using 2 inch hose for over a decade. If I can help you with any information PM me and let me know.

Forum Member

Thanks FyredUp, PM sent!

Forum Member

try linegear.com they have deals on stuff like that periodically

Forum Member

Tacoma Fire has 2" lines on their apartment packs.
    Might have some old stuff around.
    Try calling the HQ at 253 591 5733 M-F business hours.
    Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might request test/evaluate samples from your local vendors. Assuming you're serious and think can get idea sold (funded). One section of hose is not a big investment for a mfg if you're serious.

Look at 4 brands and you have 200ft of hose to test/eval.

And if you get the idea sold BUY the test sample from the winning brand. Return the others.

Thread Information