Forum Member

Default Auto Pulse and Power Lift Cot.

I've been hearing that some departments have had luck applying for an Auto Pulse and Power Lift Cots under the Safety Category for AFG grants. The thinking is that The Auto Pulse allows ambulance crew members to be seat belted while transporting instead of standing over the patient doing CPR. Obviously the powerlift cot is a back saver.
    Any thoughts on this? And would these items qualify for AFG grants even though they are more EMS related? EMS is part of our fire department here.
    Thanks for your advice and help. Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Forum Member

Talking

The stryker power cots have been awarded to several depts through AFG. Don't know of anyone getting funding for the Zoll Autopulse yet.

That said we were the first department in our state to purchase one 3 years ago and it does what the manufacturer claims. Consistent non stop compressions of a much better circulatory response than a human being can do. I sold it's purchase cost to my board of directors based on the safety aspect of us being seated and belted during codes, and the fact that we have long transport times. Upwards of 30-45 minutes depending on where we are in the district.
    I'll make a few phone calls to the folks I know at Zoll and see if they have any knowledge of AFG awards for the AP.

Shanksville PA just got awarded 5 power cots last week through AFG.

MembersZone Subscriber

At least $8.4 millon of the $19.6 million allocated for EMS equipment and training must go to FD's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    At least $8.4 millon of the $19.6 million allocated for EMS equipment and training must go to FD's.
    So your saying that the other 11.2 million can go to services that are EMS only, correct? Is EMS one of the standard categories on the regular AFG grant? So I would need to choose between the EMS and Safety category? I'm sorry I sound so stupid, but this all new to me. Thanks for your help everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    The stryker power cots have been awarded to several depts through AFG. Don't know of anyone getting funding for the Zoll Autopulse yet.

That said we were the first department in our state to purchase one 3 years ago and it does what the manufacturer claims. Consistent non stop compressions of a much better circulatory response than a human being can do. I sold it's purchase cost to my board of directors based on the safety aspect of us being seated and belted during codes, and the fact that we have long transport times. Upwards of 30-45 minutes depending on where we are in the district.
    I'll make a few phone calls to the folks I know at Zoll and see if they have any knowledge of AFG awards for the AP.

Shanksville PA just got awarded 5 power cots last week through AFG.
    Thanks! I'll be watching for your next post! I've never seen one work on a real person, but I've talked to people who have used them. They said that they look rather barbaric in use, but the results are worth it. Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tinner911 View Post
    So your saying that the other 11.2 million can go to services that are EMS only, correct? Is EMS one of the standard categories on the regular AFG grant? So I would need to choose between the EMS and Safety category? I'm sorry I sound so stupid, but this all new to me. Thanks for your help everyone.
    A good place to start getting answers is right from the guidance documents. Go to http://www.firegrantsupport.com/afg/guidance/ and look through the most recent, which will get you started on this years program. There may be changes, but usually they don't seem to be major changes.

If I remember right (someone will confirm or correct, I'm sure), EMS services that can apply through the AFG program are fire-based or "third service" providers. Hospital-based and private ambulances can't apply.

Also, you've got two basic categories: "Vehicle Acquisition" and "Operations and Safety". Operations and Safety includes equipment, PPE, training, health and wellness, and facility modifications.

And you are correct, the remaining $11.2 million can go to non-affiliated EMS. They're just required to give fire a minimum of $8.4 million to fire department EMS projects.

One of the things on our "list" of projects we're trying to decide on is AutoPulse machines and cardiac monitor/AEDs for our department, along with a couple of other things in the EMS category for our first responder program (EMS is a tax-based district in our area, seperate of the FD). If we go that route, we may even look at adding tuition for EMT school or ask for the props/materials to do our own EMT class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks! I'll be watching for your next post! I've never seen one work on a real person, but I've talked to people who have used them. They said that they look rather barbaric in use, but the results are worth it. Thanks again!
    I don't know about "barbaric", but they do work great in my opinion. They're pretty easy to use, too. You just put the pt. on the machine, pull the straps all the way out, hook them up, center it, and press a button.

If I remember right, it works more on pressurizing the entire chest cavity to compress the heart rather than compressing it between the sternum and spine, as CPR does. An ambulance service I used to work for got a couple to try out a few years ago. They had such good success that they bought 5, one for each of their units. When word got around, damn near every ambulance service around here bought them for their units. My career department is trying to get the city to budget them for our companies, even.

One thing that blew my mind is that it works so well that you can get good blood pressures with it's use. With CPR, I've only rarely even been able to feel a faint carotid pulse, let alone trying to auscultate a pressure.

Couple the AutoPulse with an Oxylator or other vent, and all the medic has to do is push drugs and watch the monitor. You can definitely get a lot more done with limited personnel.

Zoll has some info on this page if you're interested in reading more on it or watching some of the videos they have.
    Last edited by Catch22; 01-31-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added some info...

MembersZone Subscriber

The $11.2 million goes strictly to non-affiliated ems organizations (FD's are not eligible). Fire departments can apply for EMS (the $8.4 million) through the following.

Firefighting Equipment Acquisition:

AFG funds are available for equipment to enhance the safety or effectiveness of firefighting, rescue, and fire-based EMS functions.
    This is where we applied and awarded for new AED's. Same area for the cots etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our fire department received funding for 2 12 lead monitors and 2 Auto pulses a couple years back. You can reach me at bweil@nocfa.com if you have any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

The ambulance service I work for is wanting to purchase 4 power stretchers and 2 12 lead monitors for this would completely outfit our current ALS units with power cots and 12 lead capability. We are a private corperation but we are not owned by an individual, we are governed by a board of directors. We do receive property tax money that is used for payroll only. I was reading the 08 guidance and it appears that we are eligible, correct me if I'm wrong. My question is, Is there any EMS only agencies out there that have received this type of funding through AFG. We are the sole provider of EMS in our county.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    The ambulance service I work for is wanting to purchase 4 power stretchers and 2 12 lead monitors for this would completely outfit our current ALS units with power cots and 12 lead capability. We are a private corperation but we are not owned by an individual, we are governed by a board of directors. We do receive property tax money that is used for payroll only. I was reading the 08 guidance and it appears that we are eligible, correct me if I'm wrong. My question is, Is there any EMS only agencies out there that have received this type of funding through AFG. We are the sole provider of EMS in our county.
    pmed19 I know they are funding power cot we are in the process of get them we were just award five power cot about two weeks ago through the AFG grant. I also know a service in the Johnstown area 30 miles north of us received AFG for monitors. I don't know anyone that applied for both in one grant cycle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya, I'm not sure that we will ask for all of that. I have been successful with several AFG for FD's but never even tried for EMS. I know all about the cost benefit and laundry list stuff. We will be evaluating the total cost of the entire project before we choose what to ask for. Could you forward me your narrative firemedic_19@yahoo.com. I just wanted to make sure that these types of items were being approved. Thanks.

Forum Member

Is the service A 501c3 corporation? In other words a non profit corp. A service can be a not for profit corp ,and they may or not be a 501c3./4 this may determine whether or not you are eligible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I don't know about "barbaric", but they do work great in my opinion. They're pretty easy to use, too. You just put the pt. on the machine, pull the straps all the way out, hook them up, center it, and press a button.

If I remember right, it works more on pressurizing the entire chest cavity to compress the heart rather than compressing it between the sternum and spine, as CPR does. An ambulance service I used to work for got a couple to try out a few years ago. They had such good success that they bought 5, one for each of their units. When word got around, damn near every ambulance service around here bought them for their units. My career department is trying to get the city to budget them for our companies, even.

One thing that blew my mind is that it works so well that you can get good blood pressures with it's use. With CPR, I've only rarely even been able to feel a faint carotid pulse, let alone trying to auscultate a pressure.

Couple the AutoPulse with an Oxylator or other vent, and all the medic has to do is push drugs and watch the monitor. You can definitely get a lot more done with limited personnel.

Zoll has some info on this page if you're interested in reading more on it or watching some of the videos they have.
    You're correct Catch: When the AP is compressing it is squeezing the entire thoracic cavity and doing it far better than we can. The perfusion rate is at least double what manual CPR can provide. You can measure a BP and getting an IV is amazingly easy as the veins have circulation flowing through them. Arrived on scene to an 8 minute down time with bystander CPR being done. Obvious lack of oxygenation , blue lips and fingers. 3 minutes after installing the Autopulse we had a pink perfusing PT.

It can be considered a little barbaric when seeing it used for the first time. It is a little violent, but so is CPR. We went into the Emergency room one night working a code and while they were on the AP we had pink perfusing pt. Stopped it to reassess the pt and the heart would slip away into asystole.
    Some of the nurses were freaked out ,but the doc had seen it used before and was very impressed with it's ability to move blood.
    There have been several clinical studies done and the results have been mixed as to whether or not manual or mechanical compressions have a better long term outcome rate.

I'm probably dating myself, but many moons ago we had the "Thumper" CPR machine. Now that was barbaric looking and it ate a lot of oxygen.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you meet the following from the PG, then you should be eligible.

A “nonaffiliated EMS organization” is defined as a public or private nonprofit emergency medical services organization that provides direct emergency medical services, including medical transport, to a specific geographic area on a first-due basis but is not affiliated with a hospital and does not serve a geographic area where emergency medical services are adequately provided by a fire department.
    Yes, EMS only organizations have been awarded AFG grants.

Forum Member

So even if you are not tax exempt you can apply as a private for profit ambulance service?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    So even if you are not tax exempt you can apply as a private for profit ambulance service?
    Still have to be nonprofit.

Nonprofit Organization
    A tax-exempt organization that serves the public interest. In general, the purpose of this type of organization must be charitable, educational, scientific, religious or literary. It does not declare a profit and instead utilizes all revenue available after normal operating expenses in service to the public interest. This may be a 501(c)(3) or a 501(c)(4) designate.

Forum Member

Ok, that's what I thought. I just got asked about this and told them they had to be so wanted to make sure I was spreading the correct information. Thanks Andy

Forum Member

Ya, I'm not sure that we will ask for all of that. I have been successful with several AFG for FD's but never even tried for EMS. I know all about the cost benefit and laundry list stuff. We will be evaluating the total cost of the entire project before we choose what to ask for. Could you forward me your narrative firemedic_19@yahoo.com. I just wanted to make sure that these types of items were being approved. Thanks.
    I will get a copy of the power cot narrative to you as soon as I get the replacement cord for my laptop that information is on there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Power cot narrative

Daniels627,

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but could you forward a copy of your power cot narrative to me as well?

Thanks,

jhprice3@msn.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhprice3 View Post
    Daniels627,

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but could you forward a copy of your power cot narrative to me as well?

Thanks,

jhprice3@msn.com
    Check your email and let me know that you got what I forwarded you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got it, thank you.

Thread Information