Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question FM Response Policy - Lights / No Lights?

Just fishing to get a feel for how other agencies work...

Do you guys run Code 3 / Hot / lights & siren, what ever it's called where you are? If so, under what circumstances?

99.999% of the time we do not and go "routine". We only go "priority" if it is a confirmed suspected IED or IID, a burn patient is about to be transported from the scene to a burn center, and if Command has reason to believe it is an intentional fire. The last one is kinda a joke because Command can think anything they want but they never tell us.

Also, only the closest FM may proceed priority and his / her partner, who is more distant, must proceed routine.

Obviously we, the Investigators, think this policy is short sighted and unnecessarily ties our hands in cases where time is not your friend. I'm just interested in how other agencies are operating in this regard.

I work for a state agency and it is officerís discretion on running hot or not. I only really respond hot for the following;
    1. Subjects trapped (I have had brief interviews with subjects as they are wheeled to the ambulance, subjects have subsequently been tubed or passed away prior to another interview)
    2. If the fire department or others are calling for police response at the scene (fight, disorderly etc)

Obviously I have the luxury of not having my hands tied and agree that is a problem. However I always think I have to justify why I am running hot if involved in an accident.

I work for a state agency and we have no specific policy, it is officerís discretion. I only really respond hot for the following;
    1. Subjects trapped (I have had brief interviews with subjects as they are wheeled to the ambulance, subjects have subsequently been tubed or passed away prior to another interview)
    2. If the fire department or others are calling for police response at the scene (fight, disorderly etc)

Obviously I have the luxury of not having my hands tied and agree that is a problem. However I always think I have to justify why I am running hot if involved in an accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has no written policy to address this matter. During the day time we supplement the local volunteers so we run L&S since man power is often at a premium. After hours I will typically only run L&S for calls with burned or injured victims or confirmed entrapment (this also includes FF's). Otherwise its normal Sunday driving for me. Call outs with the police department is going to depend on the nature of the incident.

I recommend always erring on the side of caution. If you have to think about flipping on the lights and siren, don't use them. Explaining to the police why you were responding L&S and hit someone/something is going to be a hard sale to start with.

Forum Member

Post Investigations

I'm part of a county wide team. We respond "routine" since we are not part of the suppression efforts.

Thread Information