Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sleep Apnea

MembersZone Subscriber scottab96's Avatar

Default Sleep Apnea

Question..... Any paid guys out there have sleep apnea?

I was just diagnosed and was wondering if this would medically disqualify me for a full time job?

It shouldn't DQ you.
    FF/Paramedic

Gone.

I was diagnosed with it as well and my employer knew about it and they never got rid of me.

Over the years there have been a couple of FFs in my dept with SA. They would sleep using a CPAP machine.
    There were/are several others that I think are most likely "undiagnosed" SA sufferers. They can (and do) rattle the walls with their snoring.

So far as I know, it should not DQ you, but I would check with the individual departments you are trying for to get precise info.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

we have people at my current and previous dept with it. they wear the cpap machine.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    There were/are several others that I think are most likely "undiagnosed" SA sufferers. They can (and do) rattle the walls with their snoring.
    We could host a sleep therapist field day in our bunk rooms at night...

I'm a vollie but I had the problem several years ago and the best advise I can give you is to have the surgery.

Get it over with and you'll be surprised how much energy you have when you can sleep at night.

I had it done in 2000, repaired the deviated septum(?), took out my tonsils (OUCH) and my uvula. Wife says I still snore but not as much.

I had 2 sleep studies, they tried the cpap during the 2nd one but I couldn't sleep with it on so they recommended the surgery.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    I had it done in 2000, repaired the deviated septum(?), took out my tonsils (OUCH) and my uvula. Wife says I still snore but not as much.
    I've heard having your tonsils taken out as an adult is a good way to lose 30 pounds -- because you don't want to eat for three weeks because of the pain.

Mine flare up from to time and I've had a doctor tell me (more or less) that they look like they were rode hard and put up wet. But it would take one heck of an infection for me to want them taken out now.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    I've heard having your tonsils taken out as an adult is a good way to lose 30 pounds -- because you don't want to eat for three weeks because of the pain.
    I lost around 20 pounds afterward. Nothing but applesauce, jello and Carnation instant breakfast, all at room temperature, for two weeks. Couldn't take hot or cold and couldn't swallow anything firm. Had to let everything slide down the throat.

Doctor told me I would have, "a sore throat for a few days." She lied.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I lost around 20 pounds afterward. Nothing but applesauce, jello and Carnation instant breakfast, all at room temperature, for two weeks. Couldn't take hot or cold and couldn't swallow anything firm. Had to let everything slide down the throat.

and when I came back to duty, I some how had Captain's bars on my collar..... haha

I know of guys on the job with sleep apnea. I'm not sure if they were diagnosed before or after they got on the job though.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    and when I came back to duty, I some how had Captain's bars on my collar..... haha.
    That's just plain funny!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

The doc's said I had it and insisted on me buy the stuff to wear at night. I told him , "Yeah Right", I'm not doing it. That was 15 years ago and I am still here.

I had a one of my guys in the company had it. he had his mask and stuff by his bed. It took him 5 minutes or so to get it all on and adjusted so he could lay his head down. I told him that I expect him and the rest of the company to be on the truck when I got in the cab, as when the door shut, the truck was going to leave the house. he didn't miss a call!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I had a one of my guys in the company had it. he had his mask and stuff by his bed. It took him 5 minutes or so to get it all on and adjusted so he could lay his head down. I told him that I expect him and the rest of the company to be on the truck when I got in the cab, as when the door shut, the truck was going to leave the house. he didn't miss a call!
    Why would he be any different than anyone else on your company in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    Why would he be any different than anyone else on your company in that regard?

No other Coz, but I had seen him take more time to get out of the stuff than what was a short amount of time. We did have a chat about that in my office and he said that when he awakes it takes a minute to get his bearings. I told him that it does everyone but they get out the rack and gravitate to the truck too. He wasn't on the job when we had the gong banging all night!

LOL - I had older guys go to the head first and then to the truck. I guess if you gotta go, you gotta go!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I have been using a apap machine for aprox. 2 years, and never had a problem with getting it off in a reasonably fast time frame. It slides off easy and turns off with the push of a button. So I would guess it takes me 3-5 seconds longer.

We've got a couple, no problem with the dept.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Doctor told me I would have, "a sore throat for a few days." She lied.
    I had a UPPP back in '99. I had the sleep study, and stopped breathing 490+ times in the measured period. The doc mentioned CPAP, but as soon as he told me what it was, I said no way would I be able to sleep with one, so I'll take the surgery. I was back to eating pizza in 3 weeks . And it got me to quit smoking, since all I was doing was sleeping for the first 3 or 4 days I got home.

Andy
    Last edited by Murph64; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Thread Information