Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running Saws

Default Running Saws

How often do you run your saws and other tools? Once a week? Start of every shift? What is the reasoning behind when you do run your saws?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Squad1LT View Post
    How often do you run your saws and other tools? Once a week? Start of every shift? What is the reasoning behind when you do run your saws?
    Ladder Companies check the saws at the start of each tour (day and night)

FTM-PTB

Do they run extrication tools at ever shift also, or just saws?

You should run them at the beginning of each shift. Along with checking gas and the chain. The reason you run them, is to for one make sure they run period and two check for any problems, such as it won't stay in idle and other things along those lines. You should do this with every peice or equiptment that has to be started to use (including extracation tools). Better to find out while your in the house, rather than when your on scene.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

We run our saws at the start of every shift. Our roofman (or probie) on my truck company will grab the 2 k-12s (one with a wood blade for the roof, 1 with metal blade) and our ventmaster chain saw. The roofman will then set them in front of the firehouse on the sidewalk and start each one up. This is done to make sure our saws our in working order and we know that when we get to the roof or any other place to make a cut we have a working saw. Squad1LT. any chance u are on Chicago FD? If not where do u work? We also check the gas levals. We also do start the extrication tools up every shift, it takes about 5 mins during rig checks
    Last edited by TruckSixFF; 02-01-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

No I am not. I am on Decatur Fire Dept in IL

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

LT. what does your dept/crew do to check ur saws?
    Last edited by TruckSixFF; 02-01-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

My company runs our saws every shift that we are there. Dept says every Tues so only once a week. Ive been on a fire when the saw wouldn't start not the best situation when it is needed. What we do is run them for 5 minutes. Go ove the chain on the vent saw. Check fluids, fuel levels, etc...

What do you guys do?

Banned

When run all of our small engines once a week during truck check. This includes Jaws, portable pumps, saws, Ice Auger, and generators.

Forum Member

http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=407

Start anything with gas every tour, let it run for a bit then check fuel and reset everything to how YOUR dept does it. We pull the choke, lock the trigger and press the decompression button. On our pieces with HONDA motors we have been instructed by the shops to turn fuel OFF as it has a habit of passing the rings in the cylinder and contaminating the oil and putting the unit out of service as it will not run properly.

Every small engine we have gets run once a week for 15 minutes when we pull watch
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

The official policy is run them on Sunday. We have a number of guys that run the saws every day they are on.
    With that being said, we have Partner K950 saws. I don't care what the fancy crome guard says about being a fire/rescue saw, these saws are the same as the construction K950. (and their saws are used every day) If the saw is started daily make sure you run it long enough to allow it to warm up. I've seen plenty of guys start the saw rev it up a few times and shut it off. If your guys don't have the time to let it run for a few minutes then don't let them start it at all. About nothing is worse then starting a 2 cycle motor and shutting it off a few seconds later. With a little care the saw will start on the first or second pull, every time. A lot of the new oil for 2 cycle has stabil in it so sitting for a week will not hurt it. Just make sure the saw gets to opperating temp and stays there for a bit before shutting it off.

Forum Member

Default saw maintenance

I've been keeping tabs on a discussion on the local FOOLS' forum...some decent info.

http://www.swwafools.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=651

Forum Member

At the very least, saws get checked and run first day in (every 3 days). Some companies will check and run every day. We also strip and clean a saw after any use.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    You should do this with every peice or equiptment that has to be started to use (including extracation tools). Better to find out while your in the house, rather than when your on scene.
    I agree and disagree.

I agree with periodic thorough checks to make sure everything is on order and working correctly. Having said that, many people that I am aware of check the saw by pulling it out of the compartment, cranking it up, running it wide open for about 10 seconds while simultaneously turning it off, and getting back in the compartment about the same time the blade stops spinning. In my opinion, this does more harm than good.

Additionally, just because it works at the beginning of the tour doesn't mean that it will work the next time you try it - especially with the above described "checking" method.

Unfortunately, most daily checks are probably done more to make sure that the other shift is not trying to sneak something by you than any real benefit to the equipment.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Unfortunately, most daily checks are probably done more to make sure that the other shift is not trying to sneak something by you than any real benefit to the equipment.

I'll nominate that for "Quote Of The Week"............ Reminds me of a guy who used to put a few Mop Strings around Tires and Furniture so it would look like he mopped the floor.......

Back to the Topic: We do a Daily Check that includes running all Tools and Equipment. I agree that Motors should be run until properly warmed up, and Memphis34A is right on the money about Honda's Small Engines. We have PPV Fans, Generators, and Hurst Pumps, with Hondas and we keep the Fuel Shutoff Closed when the motor is not running.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Same here, everything gets run every day. Pumps go into gear and relief valve set, ladder truck gets set up, extrication tools get run and saws get run. Besides making sure everything gets run it works well getting everyone familier with all the equipment since we have many new people or people from the other firehouses. Call it anal retentative but most of us were just trained this way.

What else can I add to Memphis24 and HWoods?

Both are correct about running tools. We for years ran them on the day that was on the house schedule and not one ever fouled up on the fire scene. Running them for less than a minute hurts the engine. Truck Co drivers and tillerman checked everything each day, to include fuel leves on the truck. Once a week the entire crew pulled everything that ran off the truck and ran it for at least 15 minutes and then shut the fuel off to run the gas out of the carbs. The generators were ran and a load was put on the to be sure that they would preform as expected.

Having said this sometimes on the scene things would mess up and not work as they should.

We use to do a radio check each and every morning at 0800. I've seen this done them and within an hour we would make a call the the blased thing wouldn't work, usually because of a fuse or loose wire. Checking everything at a certian timedoesn't mean it will work later in the day!

We ran the pumps on Saturday as most of the time they ran each and every day at a job or two.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-02-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I just got off the phone with the company where we get our saws from and this is what he said. Once a week is good enough for running saws. You should get it warmed up enough where heat is coming off engine. Usually couple minutes shouldn't take 5 minutes. He said what is more important is every 6 weeks to get fresh fuel that is mixed. That having old gas is more of a concern.

Once a week here is the policy. Most truck crews start saws daily.

Thread Information