Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Default How many does ur dept run/ What does your dept. use?

How many houses does your dept. have? How many runs do you do a year fire/ems. My dept has 19 houses with two more being built. Out of the 19 houses we run over 48,000-50,000 runs a year. We have 19 engines, 8 trucks,2 squads, 13 ALS ambos, 3 BLS ambos, 4 battalions, and 2 districts. (With our two new stations we will be adding 1 new truck company for a total of 9 which will be a single truck house. Also 1 more engine for a total of 20 engines). What type of PPE does ur dept use? We use Black Globe GX bunker gear, you can choose to be issed rubber, or leather Pro Warringtons or Rangers boots. We wear 1044s with bourkes or you can buy your own leather. I am asking these questions becuase I like to learn what other depts. use and how they operate. Thanks for you time stay safe brothers.
    Last edited by TruckSixFF; 02-01-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Permanently Removed

Junior- Sounds like youre pretty brainwashed already, do I even bother to answer?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Well...........

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Junior- Sounds like youre pretty brainwashed already, do I even bother to answer?

Sounds like a little direction is needed......... As in how to get home to the Juniors/Explorers Forums from here........

TruckSixFF, If indeed you are a new person starting out, Brush up on a few items relating to Grammer. "ur" is not a word. Based on how you used it, I would think you mean "Your". FORUMS are not Text message friendly, and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. The Electrons are Free, and we don't harm them by Spelling properly.

On the Other Hand............ My Troll Alert is going off...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Hwoods- I read these fourms almost every day. You keep me laughing...thanks

(W-6)

D-P-T

Forum Member

we run ~80,000 calls with 43 stations (5 vol stations, 2 of which have paid rescues in house). 41 engines, 25 als rescues (bls provided by private companies), 4 trucks, 2 air trucks, 7 battalions, 1 heavy rescue (all engines have hydraulic tools), 1 hazardous materials unit. we use morning pride gear with a built in harness/self-rescue system. we use warrington pro boots.
    http://hillsboroughcounty.org/firerescue/

MembersZone Subscriber

My troll radar is going off too.....

Trucksixff.....where you at then and how long you been on the job? You start first.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I work for a dept on the East Coast. I have been on for almost four year's now. I am sorry but I do not state which dept. I work for on these fourms, becuase I may dispay opinions on here that our not the opinions of my dept. If you care that much about the matter you can use the internet to find out.

(W-6)

D-P-T

Forum Member

"and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English."

I thought this was covered in NIMS training. My cousin is a English teacher. She said text messaging, has ruined this generations grammer. I am not suprised

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by madden01 View Post

I thought this was covered in NIMS training. My cousin is a English teacher. She said text messaging, has ruined this generations grammer. I am not suprised
    oh the irony...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    I work for a dept on the East Coast. I have been on for almost four year's now. I am sorry but I do not state which dept. I work for on these fourms, becuase I may dispay opinions on here that our not the opinions of my dept. If you care that much about the matter you can use the internet to find out.
    Fair enough then.
    How many houses does your dept. have? 1 station--3 engines, 1 tender, 1 heavy rescue, 1 brush truck, 1 boat, 1 support vehicle that pulls our special operations trailer, 1 EMS vehicle.

What type of PPE does ur dept use? Morning Pride with LaCrosse boots. A few have the Globe leather boots and I Have the Warrington Pro boots.

How many runs do you do a year fire/ems. For 2008 we had 758 calls. About 60% of those are EMS.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    How many runs do you do a year fire/ems.
    Of course, this always opens the question of what does your department consider a "run"? Some departments consider each individual incident a "run"...if you roll two engines, a truck, a rescue, and a chief's command car, it would still count as one run...some departments would count that as 5 "runs", which I personally disagree with because I think it artificially inflates your numbers. Sounds good if you're trying to convince your local politicos how busy you are, but I think it's misleading and deceptive. Just my opinion.

To answer the original question, we have three stations, although we're operating out of two for now because one was destroyed by Hurricane Gustav and has not been rebuilt yet. We have a total of 4 engines, a light duty rescue, and a mini-pumper. In '08 we ran 364 calls. We use a mix of various brands of gear depending on their age and what vendor we were using at the time. Mostly Securitex/Fire Gear, which I think no longer exists and has been bought up by Sperian.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 02-01-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

My cousin is a English teacher. She said text messaging, has ruined this generations grammer. I am not suprised
    Completely agree. I don't even like the text shorthand for text messaging, much less when it finds its way into "regular" writing. And advertising. Absolutely annoying.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I wonder if the spellcheck nazis bitching about this guys horrid spelling realize they all misspelled grammAr.

And as usual, the "time" guys checked in.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Did it hurt when you wrote this? Your cousin would be ashamed.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Did it hurt when you wrote this? Your cousin would be ashamed.
    They must be one of those "texters" their cousin was talking about.

Forum Member

That's why I am not a English teacher. My grammer has sucked well before text messaging was around. However I hate trying to decipher text codes like ur, lol, bff, btw,afaic, afaik. I will not knock somebody for grammer mistakes. I will for using acronyms though. These are just a few I have been told where in papers students have turned in. I see I wrote NIMS in there. I would hope everyone on here knows what that stands for but just in case I should heed my own advice NIMS stands for National Incident Management System.
    Last edited by madden01; 02-02-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Member

wow, it would take me a day to do this with my departments Size, Power, Smarts, Money and all the West Coast B.S.........

Forum Member

2 full time manned stations
    2 Volunteer stations
    5 tanker/tenders
    2 manned engines
    1 ladder
    4 brush trucks
    2 docked boats
    5 administrative vehicles
    1400 calls a year

Forum Member

6 Stations

145 Square Miles with another 35 under contract.

13,000 population

2 Engine-Tankers, 2 rescue Engines, 2 Engines
    1 Heavy Rescue
    1 Light Rescue
    2 Tankers
    1 Brush truck
    1 Quick Attack/Service
    1 Service
    2 Command/Utility

7th Station run under contract w/ 2 Engines, Brush truck, Mini-Pumper

1387 Runs

5 Paid members
    80 Volunteer members

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Mostly Securitex/Fire Gear, which I think no longer exists and has been bought up by Sperian.
    I'm not sure of all of the exact details, but as I understand it Securitex and FireGear are basically the same manufacturer - like Globe & Cairns for TOG. I think they were owned by the same parent company as Survivair and one other fire service brand which I can't remember right now. The three of them were "merged" together and re-branded under the new company name "Sperian Fire".

Maybe it was just coincedence, but it occurred pretty much in conjunction with Survivair's settlement regarding the 2 LODDs in St. Louis several years back and the allegation that a defect in the SCBA design was a contributing factor in the deaths.

Forum Member

~550 calls a year (Mostly Fire)

2 Stations (additions being built on both)

3 Engines (4th being built)
    2 Tankers
    1 Ladder
    1 Heavy Rescue
    1 Brush Truck
    1 Forest Rescue Unit
    1 Haz-Mat Trailer
    1 Command Truck

1 Staffed Engine
    80 Paid On Call Volunteers

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sorry but I do not state which dept. I work for on these fourms, becuase I may dispay opinions on here that our not the opinions of my dept. If you care that much about the matter you can use the internet to find out.
    You want to know all about us, but don't trust us enough to say which job you are on?

I would think its safe to safe almost everyone on these forums agree its implied that we do not speak on the behalf of our own orginazations.

So, my friend, no need to be paranoid...otherwise maybe you might want to follow your own advice and research the info online on your own.

Forum Member

2 Engines, 1 Truck, 1 Haz-mat, 4 Als Ambulance. Gear Depends On Vendor At Time And We Run 3600 Calls.

Forum Member

Feel free to us the internet to find out that I am on the Omaha Fire Dept. We've got 700 ff's that handle about 40,000 calls/yr and cover a popluation of somewhere around 500,000. We've got 24 stations and as far as our apparatus:

24 engines
    9 trucks
    15 ALS med units
    6 battalion chiefs
    2 Hazmat/Heavy Rescue/Dive team/RIC/High angle rescue/whatever else...

We use Janesville gear with Servus rubber boots and Cairns 660 metro helmets and I am not a big fan of any of them......

We have three (A,B,C) shifts, work every other day for 5 shifts then have 6 days off. Does the majority of everyone else have 3 shifts with some variance of that schedule?

Forum Member

We have 32-40 guys per turn depending on vacation, RH, sick leave etc we work 24 on 48 off. We have 7 engines, 2 ladder trucks (both platforms), 1 rescue (heavy rescue in some peoples terminology), 2 battalion chiefs.

We run around 3000 calls per year with 90% being fire or fire related calls. The only ems we do is lift assists for the extra large patients, mva's with entrapment, forcible entry for medics/police, and an occasional 1st response when the privates are going to be extra delayed. The city ems is run by privates.

Most of our trucks are Pierce, with a couple odd trucks from other manufacturers. As long as it gets me there safely and performs properly I don't worry about what brand of truck it is.

Take care brothers.

Thread Information