Forum Member

Talking working out alone

What do you do to push your self when working out etc alone. (Not talking over kill workouts where you would won't a spotter)

I find it hard to get into mine when by myself. I find the radio helps some, but nothing like working with otheres. I seem to get burned out when alone then with others.. Im talking off hours at home.

Forum Member

I keep a journal of every lift I make. Week to week I challenge myself to push a little farther and lift a little more. Seems to help me.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

MembersZone Subscriber

I also find that i get bored fast when i work out in the gym alone, i was trying to keep a log but i couldnt really get the format down. Anyone have any insight or a format they use? I try to use the mp3 player as much as i can, if i start to get bored i go take a rest for a few mins then go back and hit it, sometimes walk outside and get some fresh air just to change the mood. Good Luck

Forum Member

Format of your journal or your workout
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    I keep a journal of every lift I make. Week to week I challenge myself to push a little farther and lift a little more. Seems to help me.
    Thanks for advice. I started using mp3 player, and with the right songs.... it helps a lot.

I think nozzlenut264 means the journal part. I also have trouble with this, and am not using one of any kind.

Forum Member

You can buy a pre-formatted "Body Minder" journal at most bookstores and GNC. It works great.

Forum Member

Default goals

I used to just go through a general gym workout, legs arms chest etc. Then I bought a weight vest. I took half the weight out of it so its now 25lbs. I made a workout that went like this

25-30 min on stair stepper, first 10sec at 50steps/min, then 3min at 60steps/min, then wherever it felt hard, anywhere from 80 to 100steps/min

then I get off the stepmill and head straight to pull ups, do three sets of ten. When I first started I could do five with the vest on, then did the rest without the vest.

Then I head over the the mat and do 4 sets of 10 pushups with the vest on.

Then head over grab a 40lb dumbell in each arm and do three laps back and forth from one side of the gym to the other, with 30 sec rest at the start each time.

then weight vest off, full body workout.

Once I am able to do 10 pull-ups in a row I add weight. Up to 35lbs now.

This works for me because the bar is set at 50 lbs, one I get there im not sure what will be next but that's going to be pretty hard anyway. Makes it a competition with yourself.

good luck.

Forum Member

We have some gym stuff at out fire station, it's not the greatest but it works. Some say "it's not the fanciest, but it's everything you need to keep in shape". I however pay for membership in the nicest biggest gym in town that happends to be just a few blocks from my house. They have nice equipment and there's always people around, it makes it easier for me to push myself. Also, I go to the instructed training passes; "Body Pump, Kick boxing, Yoga and much more" - If you can't make yourself do things, perhaps a shouting instructor can, at least it works for me.

Also, a great motivator are the annual physical tests we have to pass to be allowed to use SCBA equipment indoors (eg. smokediving). Also, I applied for a summer job at the full-time firehouse. Part of the application was a physical test that involved weightlifting, running, swimming and diving. I wanted that job! So I had been training pretty well for that. (The test was last week and I'm waiting to know if they pick me, I wasn't the best in the test but I should have pretty good certificates from my volunteer firefighting)
    Last edited by bum291; 04-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

Red face

Thanks for tips. I was going to get membership at a gym, but the drive is to long for me(to a good one). So i set up a home gym.. Some of of the guys come by, and we compete against each other like some high school kids... Talk about being sore the next door, but its all good. Its working out pretty well.

Stay safe
    Thomas

Cool

Mp3 is your best friend. Load that baby up with some good high energy rock and work out to the beat!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Just a comment on a workout "without a spotter" if you are used to doing certain movements with a spotter ie: bench press etc. lower the weight to about 50% of MAX and do more reps for a burn. Thats what Ive been doing alot more of reps and circuits.
    Also look for new movements may motivational. Get creative and make up a new workout. It is hard to stay motivated thought without some guys and or gals helping push you along.

Forum Member

im sure most of you guys are already on with departments, but I'm just prepping myself for the PAT with Chicago. My motivation is just visualizing that trainer screaming in my ear to push harder......................

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhome View Post
    I used to just go through a general gym workout, legs arms chest etc. Then I bought a weight vest. I took half the weight out of it so its now 25lbs. I made a workout that went like this

25-30 min on stair stepper, first 10sec at 50steps/min, then 3min at 60steps/min, then wherever it felt hard, anywhere from 80 to 100steps/min

then I get off the stepmill and head straight to pull ups, do three sets of ten. When I first started I could do five with the vest on, then did the rest without the vest.

Then I head over the the mat and do 4 sets of 10 pushups with the vest on.

Then head over grab a 40lb dumbell in each arm and do three laps back and forth from one side of the gym to the other, with 30 sec rest at the start each time.

then weight vest off, full body workout.

Once I am able to do 10 pull-ups in a row I add weight. Up to 35lbs now.

This works for me because the bar is set at 50 lbs, one I get there im not sure what will be next but that's going to be pretty hard anyway. Makes it a competition with yourself.

good luck.
    wow that is an amazing work out and honestly I think once you can do all reps with 50lb vest on that you should just keep doing it with the 50 lb vest, strength is good but if you go too much further you may build too much muscle and lose a lot of range of motion.

Forum Member

Everybody had some great ideas, but any reason why you do work out alone? If you're looking for help with long distance runs, you could hook up with Team in Training or a similar runners circle. Or for lifting - have you tried a local Meetup group or thought about starting your own? Could even do a CraigsList posting.

Forum Member

Default Try these three steps.

That is a great question! Try these three steps: How to achieve more when working out alone

Thread Information