Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good On Ya!

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Good On Ya!

About bloody time.

Keep Your Car Snow-Free ... Or Else

Councilman wants new law By JIM IOVINO

Updated 8:46 AM EST, Mon, Feb 2, 2009

Does this car look driveable to you?

WASHINGTON -- Are you one of the many drivers who cleans just enough snow and ice off your car just to make it onto the road and hope a strong gust of wind takes care of the rest?

While you think that Star Wars hyperdrive effect looks cool as you're cruising down Wisconsin Avenue, the snow and ice flying off your car can turn into meteors for other vehicles on the road.

That's dangerous, and it soon could be against the law in D.C. if Councilman Harry Thomas Jr. has his way.

Thomas will propose Tuesday that D.C. becomes the first jurisdiction in the U.S. to require that car and truck owners clear their vehicles of snow and ice before driving, according to the Washington Examiner.

“My concern is really is there an inherent hazard, when you see people pull out with huge sheets of ice on top of their cars where they haven’t taken time to properly prepare their vehicle for driving,” Thomas told The Examiner. “You’re behind people, trucks, and sheets of ice come flying at you. It’s something that could be avoided just by people taking a little more time and brushing their vehicle with a broom.”

The bill, if passed would take effect immediately, could give the option for lazy drivers to pay a fine or take a safety course. And the bill may be needed immediately, as well, as more snow is predicted for the area for Monday night and Tuesday. Click here for more details on the storm.

This should be in effect everywhere that snowfall is a potential (as minimum) or a regular winter event.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Exclamation

These were just SOME of the comments that went with the article.

Comments (33)
    Sort by: Most Recent | Oldest
    • Mari 52 minutes ago Bring this law to I-95 and the beltway, please! Nothing worse than driving along at 55-65 and here comes a huge chunk of snow and ice off the car/truck in front of you. There is no excuse for not cleaning off the roof of your car.
    •
    • Jim Monday, Feb 2 at 10:46 PM Who cares? Its just another one of a long list of driving infractions that will go un-enforced. The police won't pull you over unless you're drunk and driving backwards down the wrong side of the road. Its why we have so much death on our local highways - no one enforces the law.
    •
    • Geez Monday, Feb 2 at 10:29 PM So now school buses will all have to be ticketed and fined so the government will be fining itself! I bet Harry Thomas Jr. takes public transportation everywhere or he's just not too smart...hmm which is it?
    •
    • duh.... Monday, Feb 2 at 9:16 this is stupid
    •
    • Kevin Monday, Feb 2 at 8:43 PM Come on Barry, I see your point, but you don't have to exaggerate! Two windshields? How close are you driving behind people? Ever heard of the 3 second rule, especially in inclement weather? I do think people should clean their cars off as much as possible before driving because it affects other people. It should be in public service announcements not a law to bring in more revenue for DC. Plus, DC doesn’t have ANY places where you can go over 45mph anyway
    •
    • Martin Smith Monday, Feb 2 at 8:10 PM Yeah that's a great idea Keefy. Let's give idiots another reason not to pay attention to the road.
    •
    • snownoice Monday, Feb 2 at 7:45 PM While I understand the reason for the bill, you have people who don't even clear the sidewalks in front of their homes but you're going to fine drivers for not clearing the roofs of their vehicles? Who'll be writing the citations? The same people citing the homeowners? Yea right
    •
    • MUSTANG Monday, Feb 2 at 6:30 PM GET REAL THE LARGE TRUCKS AS WELL AS BIG YELLOW SCHOOL BUSES HAVE NO WAY TO GET UP ON THE TOP OF THEM IN THE MORNING TO GET THE SNOW AND ICE OFF (SORRY)
    •
    • Barry Monday, Feb 2 at 5:58 PM I agree. As a native Washingtonian, I can't tell you how many times I've been blinded at speeds up to 60 mph by huge sheets of snow and ice blowing off the roof of the car in front of me. I have also lost two windshields. Come on people - a broom or a brush and two minutes of your precious time may save several people behind you from body damage or death due to a pileup on the beltway. DO IT !!!!
    •
    • Denise to SM Monday, Feb 2 at 4:13 You have a point but it holds not water b/c Colorado, and Chicago, Buffalo and Boston, etc, for that matter, are much better equiped to handle snow and ice than DC and the surrounding areas - that's just a fact. Remember, we can have years in a row w/out much more than a snow flurry, while those cold, snowy regions get it for months out of the year. It all comes down to experience and this area is just not as acclimated as those regions. We also have a fairly transient population, so that also has an impact. Using Colorado, Boston, Chicago or Buffalo as an example is just like comparing apples and oranges - it's all snow, but it's still different. For the record, I loved Obama's criticism of the area and Sasha's comment about still playing on the playground during last week's snow day.

• Keefy Monday, Feb 2 at 4:10 PM The first law that should be passed is slower traffic must stay in the far right lane. Repeal the hands free law with cells. Because you see more police officers driving with phones than you do citizens.

• Denise Monday, Feb 2 at 4:07 PM Sounds like a good law to me, and it would be obvious who was in violation of it. Trucks woudl have the toughest time adhering to the law, but there must be some way to help them out. Also sounds like a gret time for an invention for those over-the-road truckdrivers to make their life in the snow and ice easier - hmmmmm. I'm all for it. My 12-yr old son and I were discussing this just the other day when we had some snow/ice sheets hurled at us from cars and trucks ahead of us
    Tony Monday, Feb 2 at 3:57 PM IT'S ABOUT TIME!
    • snow warrior Monday, Feb 2 at 3:52 PM JT, you're just full of excuses, huh? A broom or long brush works nicely for us short folks or for people with tall cars. I'm only 5'3 and manage to clean off the top of my car. Yes - elderly or short - you must clean off your car. If you can't do it, then get someone to do it for you or don't drive. This law is easily enforced - it's pretty obvious when you see somone driving who hasn't cleaned off their car. And if you are driving in the middle of a storm, ice and snow do not accumulate on your car because the car is warmed up, and the wind your car generates as it moves forward will blow the snow off. While sitting at a red light, I once saw an elderly gentleman driving with at least 6 inches of snow on the top of his car. In the middle of the intersection,the snow slid off the roof and landed right on his windshield. He's couldn't see squat. So, what does he do? He stops in the middle of the road, frozen in panic. It is dangerous and irresponsible to leave snow/ice on your car. Stop the excuses.
    •
    • Anonymous Monday, Feb 2 at 3:51 PM This may serve as a deterent but how are you going to enforce it or prove when someone violated the law?
    •
    • Anonymous Monday, Feb 2 at 3:17 PM I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first jurisdiction to make the law. I think it was the law in Pittsburgh and would bet other northern states have it as well.
    •
    • yes Monday, Feb 2 at 2:44 PM this comment is for jt. get up early and warm your car up and the ice will melt. trust me i have done it... IT WORKS!!! NO MORE EXCUSES.....
    •
    • Happenedtome Monday, Feb 2 at 2:44 PM I'd love to see this put into place. I had this happen to me last week. Yes I gave plenty of distance to the driver in front of me (and 1 lane over) but it didn't matter when a 2ft section of snow/ice flew 30ft in the air off of his/her car and smashed into my windshield. I was very lucky that it caused no damage. I could not change lanes, nor could I hit the brakes hard enough to avoid the ice as I would have been hit by the guy behind me. People need to take responsibility. If you are responsible enough to drive, you should be able to clean your car off as well, just as you would have to fix any other moving violation on your car. Have an SUV thats too big to clean off? Not my problem. I cleaned my wifes SUV off right after I cleaned my car so that niether of us would be putting someone elses life at risk. As far as expecting the elderly to do this, yes, if they are driving on the road, their car should be clean as well. They are also expected to have their sidewalks shoveled within 24hrs of snowfall according to my city law. Do I expect that the elderly couple across the street will be able to do this? No, thats why us neighbors help them out, so they don't hurt themselves. Thats what neighbors are supposed to be for
    •
    • yes Monday, Feb 2 at 2:36 PM it's about time. people are sooooooo lazy to clean the car or truck off. it is danger if the ice falls off the car onto another car. it happend to me and i almost got into accident...... please pass this.... it is a must.....
    •
    • eg Monday, Feb 2 at 2:28 PM If you can't maintain your car, then you shouldn't have it. That goes for maintenance and repairs as well as keeping it free of snow and ice bombs that launch from your car.
    • DC burbs Monday, Feb 2 at 2:03 Humans are creatures of habit, which is why we have this problem in this area - we don't get enough snow for us to be prepared and of the proper mindset. Second: The snow in this area is not the same as SNOW. It is unpredictable: What will be snow, ice, freezing rain? When will it be what? You will see! Ice is Ice! Our roads are always crowded and windy and hilly... You'll see if you stick around in this area. Lastly, this area has so many drivers from all types of areas -- ALL TYPES of weather, civility, habits. So, outsiders come here and 1. are unaware 2. are unprepared 3. are unconnected 4. are judgemental before they slide around on an overpass 5. are underprepared to slow down 6. are unprepared to clean off ice. No excuses: Slow Down -- Be Aware -- Be Prepared -- Slow Down -- Be Considerate. If it takes a law to get this down, so be it. Next law: drive under 50 when ice is on road. P.S. Non-essential means accountants, clerks, analysts, Much of the local workforce. Keep them off the roads when the roads are better suited to having them off the roads. I'm guessing you got to move into DC or near a metro stop, so you have no clue to adding 3 hrs. of travel time to your commute in
    •
    • JT Monday, Feb 2 at 1:45 PM Nice sentiments, but howwould a workable law be formulated and how would it be enforced? Does snow/ice accumulation while you're driving during a snow storm count? If it's ice on the roof of your car and the temperature is below freezing -- how do you get it off? The ice chippers that work on your glass windshields would do real number on your car's paint job -- not to mention causing a nice set of dents. Is a short elderly person really expected to remove the ice on the top of an SUV, while standing on an icy driveway, so they can make their doctor's appointment? I hope the city council will consider the ramifications of the bill they consider and not just listen a not-thought-out set of 30 sec sound bytes
    •
    • Blago Monday, Feb 2 at 12:53 PM I live in a neighborhood of 500k houses in Loudoun and most people dont even clear the walks and driveways. Not even the ones with the teenagers at home on snowdays. Wait, they are too busy to try to make it to level 14 in Halo 8 to do manual labor. And we wonder why it takes these kids 6-7 years to get a bachelors. Come on you all know that the only way things get accomplished in this country is by involving lawyers. So when I fall on my neighbors ice trying to get to my car that has to be cleaned off, by law, so I can go get my teenage son some bandaids for his blisters on his cheetos stained hands. I will sue EVERYONE, even Frito Lay for making thier snack foods so tasteful and addicting

MembersZone Subscriber

They tried to get an idiotic law passed up here. The green city council wanted to pass a bylaw prohibiting people from letting their cars idle more than 3 minutes. Keep in mind, they tried to pass this when the temp had not been above 0F for three weeks. It was sent back to administration for
    " Further Study"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    They tried to get an idiotic law passed up here. The green city council wanted to pass a bylaw prohibiting people from letting their cars idle more than 3 minutes. Keep in mind, they tried to pass this when the temp had not been above 0F for three weeks. It was sent back to administration for
    " Further Study"
    Kentucky has a law that says just that,except it's to prevent car theft.The thinking is that if you didn't leave your car idling while you ran into Huck's for some lottery tickets and a bag of Cheeto's,then the local thief wouldn't succumb to the temptation and steal your car.
    When I drove a short bus around Paducah Ky,and snow was in the forecast,I'd park with the windshield wipers halfway through the sweep.After shutting off the motor,I'd put a large piece of cardboard big enough to cover most of the windshield and leave it be.
    Because the buses were parked facing to the West,we'd always come in with snow covered windshields.
    Because of my preparations,I'd just have to remove the cardboard,fire the bus up and warm it up a little before heading on my route.By the time I'd driven two counties over to start my pick ups,both heaters would have caught up and the "little darlin's" wouldn't think it was cold on the bus.
    Everytime it snowed or iced over,I still was able to be the first bus on the road in the morning even though my route started later.Everyone else would be sitting around the garage twiddling thumbs and I would be heading out when the boss pulled in for his day of work.I might be a butt kisser but I try to be a competent butt kisser by doing my job as well as I can.

I had $1400 damage done to my vehicle in December from ice flying off of a box truck in December. This is considered an "act of God" by the insurance company......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    " Further Study"
    They have that law here as well. Problem is, it doesn't take into account remote car starters or people who lock their cars.

The cleaning snow and ice thing will never work. All one has to say is I cleaned it before I left the driveway, the snow and ice built up as I drove along. The real problems are the tractor trailers whose trailer has been setting out for a week with a heavy ice and snow build up. Snow flying off is not a problem at all.

But the best part of this is it's in D.C. a place where 1 inch of snow closes the place down. I've got a better idea. Warm the earth up so that they get no snow and the problem goes away.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 02-05-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    I had $1400 damage done to my vehicle in December from ice flying off of a box truck in December. This is considered an "act of God" by the insurance company......
    One of the Admin Assistants at the Embassy had a similar problem on N495 into Maryland. She was on her way home and a car in front "dropped" a load of ice and snow. Took out a headlight and cracked the windshield. She tried to get up close enough to read the tag number to report it, but as soon as the driver of the other car saw hers moving up, he/she buggered off at high speed. Dominique was not able to keep up because of traffic. MD insurance basically told her unless she got the tag number, there was nothing they could do. Luckily it was not more than just minor damage, relatively speaking of course.

Thread Information