MembersZone Subscriber

Smile California FF 1 compared to Nevada FF 1

I heard that the Nevada FF 1 does not count for the California FF 1. Is that true? And if so what is the difference and how do I make the NV FF 1 count towards CA FF 1

Forum Member

Get in touch with the CA office for thier state standards and training and see if it would transfer. Niether come up in the list for NPQ accredited departments, so that doesn't seem like an option.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Permanently Removed

The California State Fire Marshal's Office (CSFM) does not have reciprpcity with any other state. You must either attend a CA fire academy or get your FF1 signed off by your employing CA department.

Click on this link and scroll down to page #104.

Your other link- www.osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/training.php

Reciprocity
    At this time, SFT does not offer reciprocity for certifications, including IFSAC and Pro Board, that were received in another state. In order to apply for SFT certification in California, you must meet all of the requirements listed in the SFT Procedures Manual. We recommend you contact the fire department requiring the certification to determine if they will accept your alternative certificates.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-03-2009 at 08:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ballplr1587 View Post
    I heard that the Nevada FF 1 does not count for the California FF 1. Is that true? And if so what is the difference and how do I make the NV FF 1 count towards CA FF 1
    Nevada follows NFPA standards for FF1 and FF2. California follows its own standard. I believe that California FF1 is similar to NFPA FF2, so if you can pick that up you are more likely to get the department to sign off on your training as meeting the California standard. You ay also be able to get it through a volunteer fire department.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Gnufsh View Post
    Nevada follows NFPA standards for FF1 and FF2. California follows its own standard. I believe that California FF1 is similar to NFPA FF2, so if you can pick that up you are more likely to get the department to sign off on your training as meeting the California standard. You ay also be able to get it through a volunteer fire department.
    You can not just come over to CA and get something "signed off". You need to perfrom the set standards. The best way is to complete a basic fire academy.

California does have its own standard, but I believe it meets and exceeds any current NFPA formats.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    You can not just come over to CA and get something "signed off". You need to perfrom the set standards. The best way is to complete a basic fire academy.

California does have its own standard, but I believe it meets and exceeds any current NFPA formats.
    Yes, the current CA FF1 exceeds NFPA FF1 (as I said, it is similar to NFPA FF2), which means it doesn't follow it (was not at all trying to say that it was worse, just different). As far as signed off, yes you have to meet certain standards, but it is up to the department to ensure that you meet the educational requirements (if I remember correctly), so if they review your training and decide that it meets the standards for CA FF1 they can "sign off" on it.You do still need 6 months paid experience or 1 year as a volunteer to get CA FF1 as well, it is not just an educational requirement. Not every department has or can afford its own academy, and if he does meet the standards, there is some leeway there (I believe, I am no expert).

That said, the best way is probably, as CALFFBOU states the academy. More training never hurt anyone. For the ultimate authority, contact the state fire marshall's office, and the departments you are interested in. Most have so many applicants that they will likely just require California FF1.

CALFFBOU, I think we are working off of different definitions of signed off. When I get a task book signed off, it means that I have met educational standards and actual performance standards (both agency and nwcg) and that those have been documented. So for me, getting "signed off" is not an easy task. I apologise for my ambiguity.

Remember, I am just a fed wildland and small volunteer department guy.

Permanently Removed

No problem. I just want to make it clear to the kids that you can not just move over to CA and get some paperwork pencil whipped. There is a lot more to it.

We have plenty of "Fireman Factories" out here were people can become "Firefighter 1 certified". You must FIRST get certified before you can get the FF1 signed off.

Even the small department mentioned could send or sponsor you to an academy. Everyone in CA pretty much goes through a basic FF1 academy. There is no back door or side stepping it.

Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks alot for all the input, it's exactly the information I was looking for. Just wondering why does California have their own set standards and also are there more states like Cali?

Permanently Removed

I dont know why the CSFM decided to make the FF1 standards higher than the rest of the states.

I know they just wanted them higher. Maybe to eliminate a flood of applicants or revolving door?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the relevant section of the State Fire Training Procedures Manual:
    (B) CERTIFICATION ESTABLISHED
    (1) Certification established January 1, 1976.
    I wonder when other state standards came about? If CA developed their requirements early on, there may not have been national standards to follow.

(C) CERTIFICATION GUIDELINES
    (1) Instruction (both of the following):
    (a) Participants shall, through a qualified instructor, complete the training as specified in
    the Fire Fighter I instructor guide plus any additional course requirements listed on
    the training record.
    1. This training is verified on the Fire Fighter I Training Record.
    a. This record must be kept on file in the department and should not be
    submitted to SFT.
    (2) Prerequisite.
    (a) None.
    (3) Experience [one (1) of the following two (2) options]:
    (a) Option 1.
    1. Have a minimum of six (6) months full-time, paid experience in a California
    fire department as a fire fighter performing suppression duties.
    (b) Option 2.
    1. Have a minimum of one (1) year volunteer or part-time, paid experience in a
    California fire department as a fire fighter performing suppression duties.
    The certificate that you get from an academy in CA certifies that you meet the educational requirements for FF1, but you cannot get your actual state FF1 certification without working in a CA department and meeting minimum experience requirements.

(D) APPLICATION
    After training is concluded and the experience requirement met, a complete application package
    that includes the following must be submitted to SFT:
    (1) A completed Fire Fighter I application for certification form.
    (a) The Fire Chief or his/her authorized representative must sign this application.
    ...and the "sign off"

(F) RECIPROCITY
    (1) The authority to set standards for and certify fire service personnel extends only to employed or volunteer fire service personnel in California.
    (a) Out-of-state fire fighters.
    1. A fire fighter from another state is eligible to become certified only after he or she serves in a fire department in California.
    a. At this time, the SBFS does not accept certification from any other state as being equivalent to certification in California.
    2. Training received outside of California may, at the department's discretion, be evaluated for equivalency and recorded on the Fire Fighter I Training Record.
    a. This review is conducted at the local level and not by SFT.
    (b) Military fire fighters.
    1. A military fire fighter is eligible to become certified only after he or she serves in a qualifying military fire department located in California.
    2. Training received outside of California may, at the department's discretion, be evaluated for equivalency and recorded on the Fire Fighter I Training Record.
    a. This review is conducted at the local level and not by SFT.
    Here is what I should have just dug up and posted in the first place.

Forum Member

Pardon me for reviving a "dead thread" but i want to make sure1) info is still current and 2) that i understnad it correctly.
    I am currently in AZ I am going through school and I will have ff I & II -EMT basic-Hazmat first respond-extrication-and some other certs done by the time I am ready to make a move.
    Since I will be I & II cert'd (through AZ they use the NFPA standards if understand everything correctly) will I have to go through another school when i go back to cali or would i be able to get everything done through the dept I go to? Also is this the same for EMT-hazmat-extrication-etc?

Thread Information