Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: Smart Move

  1. #61
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Now Bou,why would I want to do that and ruin a perfectly good rant?Hehe T.c.


  2. #62
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Not going to get into another crap throwing contest with you George. I've vowed never to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

    Might as well join the club with the rest of the people George hates. (Its a California thing)
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-05-2009 at 02:57 PM.

  3. #63
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Might as well join the club with the rest of the people George hates. (Its a California thing)
    If you think for a moment that I "hate" anyone because of an Internet forum, you have a distorted view of me. I don't care, but you do.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  4. #64
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,535

    Default

    How is it that New Orleans has vagrants/transients but Bossier parrish has none? Geographically is it that much travel distance? T.C

    It's about a 7-hour drive from northwest LA to New Orleans.
    It's worlds apart.

    New Orleans has many homeless. Our area has none.

    George ....

    These laws regarding us not having the legal authority to extinguish a fire if the owner says we can't have been on the books for excess of 50 years, and not one fire department has been sued yet.

    I'm no legal expert either but something tells me in that time, some insurance company would have tried to collect.

    It's very simple. We have no legal authority to extinguish the fire if the homeowner says we can't. Therefore we have no duty to act. That is what the law says. That is what every fire department in the state does that operates in a parish without burning ordinances. The attorney general says we are protected because we do not have the legal right to act. And not one insurance company has collected a dime from any fire department who has followed the law in that case in 50 years.

    I think we're pretty safe. And I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

  5. #65
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Bones: The building marking system that Massachusetts has was developed after the Worcester Cold Storage Fire.. we all know what happened there.

    The only complaints we have had in my community is neighbors commenting on how when we "mark a building" decreases their property value.

    My answer is take it up with the owners who allowed the property being marked to turn into an eyesore. The lives of our personnel supercedes the value of the properties adjacent to the marked building.

    Some of these properties are owned by some very large banks as a result of foreclosure. We have legislation pending review by the City Solicitor and approval of the City Council that would require the banks who foreclose on a property to properly winterize (the vast majority of our "water coming out of the house" calls are a result of pipes freezing) and secure the property. Failure to do so would result in fines on a daily basis.

    Marking a building isn't done willy-nilly. The FD goes to inspect the property with Code enforcement and we then determine whether the building needs to be marked at all, marked for "limited interior ops" or marked with "no interior operations" signage.

    We have 10 marked buildings in town. Considering the fact that there are 13,000+ structures in town, that isn't much at all.
    Gonzo, I don't doubt your states policy and how it works. I don't hold that same faith for a certain area in LA.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  6. #66
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    If you think for a moment that I "hate" anyone because of an Internet forum, you have a distorted view of me. I don't care, but you do.
    My views of you are based on your actions and how you treat people in here. Unfortunatly, its been pretty poor over the last few months.

  7. #67
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    My views of you are based on your actions and how you treat people in here. Unfortunatly, its been pretty poor over the last few months.
    He treats people in here poorly?!? Go back to your name calling and making fun of children. Maybe you can find a kid in a wheelchair and really have a good laugh.

  8. #68
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    He treats people in here poorly?!? Go back to your name calling and making fun of children. Maybe you can find a kid in a wheelchair and really have a good laugh.
    Thank you. You beat me to it.

    And, for the record, I do not hate anyone here.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  9. #69
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    He treats people in here poorly?!? Go back to your name calling and making fun of children. Maybe you can find a kid in a wheelchair and really have a good laugh.
    Again- I find it pretty funny that a member in here can follow another around and harass them for months. That same member can constantly dish it out, but then cant take it and publicly EXPLOITS his son and tugs on the heart strings of the public asking people to feel sorry for him. He did NOT have to tell everyone about his son, be he chose to go public. Dont dish it out if you cant take it.

    As for George, you seem to go after and **** off a lot of members in here. Why your targets are selectivly on the West Coast, I dont know. But its clear, you dont have a lot of (West Coast) friends in here.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-06-2009 at 12:50 PM.

  10. #70
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Again- I find it pretty funny that a member in here can follow another around and harass them for months. That same member can constantly dish it out, but then cant take it and publicly EXPLOITS his son and tugs on the heart strings of the public asking people to feel sorry for him. He did NOT have to tell everyone about his son, be he chose to go public. Dont dish it out if you cant take it.

    As for George, you seem to go after and **** off a lot of members in here. Why your targets are selectivly on the West Coast, I dont know. But its clear, you dont have a lot of (West Coast) friends in here.
    I had a long reply, but this thread is not about me. Carry on.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  11. #71
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,575

    Default

    Dont dish it out if you cant take it.
    My fellow forum members...

    There are occasions where it takes the better man or woman to walk away.

    As Stan Lee of Marvel Comics says so eloquently...

    E'nuff said!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  12. #72
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Dont dish it out if you cant take it.

    Seems to me there is only one still squawking. And no, I'm not "clowning" you out, you did that to yourself.

  13. #73
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I'm curious about this whole "burn your own house down" thing.
    If someone burns off a pile of comp shingles, they can get hammered by the EPA. That's a Federal thing, not local. They get rather ****y about plumes of smoke. Has nothing to do with local statutes.
    When we have a training burn, we have to get about 20 things checked off, like a letter of asbestos status/abatement.
    We need a letter from Public Works, the different Utilities, the PD (traffic), all stating that the burn with have minimal impact on the area, and that the necessary things have been taken care of (meter pulled, gas shut off at street, etc).
    But in LA, people can just light off a pile of whatever they want, including a house with asbestos siding, comp shingles,an active gas line, and next to a hospital?
    And were supposed to believe that no one is gonna have a problem with that?
    I'm thinking something doesn't make sense there, even if Napoleon is in charge.

  14. #74
    Early Adopter cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipper123 View Post
    But in LA, people can just light off a pile of whatever they want, including a house with asbestos siding, comp shingles,an active gas line, and next to a hospital? And were supposed to believe that no one is gonna have a problem with that? I'm thinking something doesn't make sense there, even if Napoleon is in charge.
    You were probably correct until you hit the gas line. At that point, someone else has an interest in the fire -- the gas company. The bit about being next door to a hospital is mostly irrelevant, too, because all of his claims have been about unincorporated areas of the parish (i.e. rural), where I imagine there are few hospitals.

    I'll admit that LaFireEducator says a lot of flaky things on these boards... However, unless you've spent any considerable amount of time in Louisiana (a trip to Mardi Gras does not count), it's hard to understand how different that state is. There is a completely different mindset about a lot of things -- different even from neighboring states. None of what he has said sounds too far off the mark for me (I lived in LA for four years).

  15. #75
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    You were probably correct until you hit the gas line. At that point, someone else has an interest in the fire -- the gas company. The bit about being next door to a hospital is mostly irrelevant, too, because all of his claims have been about unincorporated areas of the parish (i.e. rural), where I imagine there are few hospitals.

    I'll admit that LaFireEducator says a lot of flaky things on these boards... However, unless you've spent any considerable amount of time in Louisiana (a trip to Mardi Gras does not count), it's hard to understand how different that state is.
    Didn't DC Comics have a Superman series about an alternate universe called Bizzaro World? It sounds like it fits Looziana to a T!

    There is a completely different mindset about a lot of things -- different even from neighboring states. None of what he has said sounds too far off the mark for me (I lived in LA for four years).
    You had the common sense to escape.. like the title of this thread...smart move!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  16. #76
    Early Adopter cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Didn't DC Comics have a Superman series about an alternate universe called Bizzaro World? It sounds like it fits Looziana to a T!
    There for a while, Texas ran tourism ads with the slogan "it's like a whole other country" or something similar... Louisiana probably has a more rightful claim to the slogan.

  17. #77
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    How is the burn your property law affected when the property is financed by a bank or other financial institution? Does the bank own the property or the person?

  18. #78
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Seems to me there is only one still squawking. And no, I'm not "clowning" you out, you did that to yourself.
    Not really when YOU guys keep bringing it back up. See post #67. Let it go.

  19. #79
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post

    I'll admit that LaFireEducator says a lot of flaky things on these boards... However, unless you've spent any considerable amount of time in Louisiana (a trip to Mardi Gras does not count), it's hard to understand how different that state is. There is a completely different mindset about a lot of things -- different even from neighboring states. None of what he has said sounds too far off the mark for me (I lived in LA for four years).
    If everyone would read that post then this discussion would die. Very simple concept people.

    BUT, no matter how much you tell someone, some people refuse to believe there is any way to do things except thier own, and that they are always 100% right. Get over yourselves already.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. wouldnt it be smart....
    By nnjfire in forum Hurricane Katrina & Rita Forums
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 06:14 PM
  2. Are you as smart as you think you are?
    By backdraft663 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
  3. to move or not to move that is the question
    By Brian787 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 07:51 PM
  4. Nobody said he was smart
    By Steamer in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 04:28 PM
  5. This ole' boy is a smart one, he is...
    By Engine2medic2 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts