Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question warning lights for vol chief

I am the chief for a rural fire dept and I respond in my vehicle most of the time, is it legal for me to have warning lights on my vehicle.

Forum Member

Wink ???

What does your other local dept have......i know alot of cheif vehicles get voted on to be a command vehicle. they get lights and sirens and they drive straight to scenes....

but everyone is different

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

This question has been asked so many times, in so many ways, and the answer is always the same...It depends where you live. Laws regarding use of emergency lights are not the same across the nation, check your state and local statutes.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

You will have to check your state laws on emergency vehicles. In Washington State some rural fire departments allow volunteers to have a green light on the front. But in order to have red lights and a siren, your vehicle must meet certian giudelines for emergance responce. All the fire apparatus must have a state certification sticker in the windshield.

Forum Member

Other than the fact that the laws are different everywhere and that has already been addressed, I have another concern about this post. I am just curious as to how anyone can become a fire chief and not know what he is allowed to do. If you are the chief, you need to be well versed in everything related to rules and regulations. If not, you are going to get yourself or your guys in a jackpot when they do/or don't do something that they were supposed to.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Check your state laws but i bet you have to have lights that are located at the highest point on your vehicle and visible 360 degrees. Then you probably have to have a siren. I believe a personal vehicles are supposed to be treated just like anyother emergency vehicle.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    I am just curious as to how anyone can become a fire chief and not know what he is allowed to do. If you are the chief, you need to be well versed in everything related to rules and regulations.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Other than the fact that the laws are different everywhere and that has already been addressed, I have another concern about this post. I am just curious as to how anyone can become a fire chief and not know what he is allowed to do. If you are the chief, you need to be well versed in everything related to rules and regulations. If not, you are going to get yourself or your guys in a jackpot when they do/or don't do something that they were supposed to.
    You would think that to be the case, but when it comes to this question logic doesn't apply.

Emergency lights on POVs are illegal in Alabama, yet many chiefs, mayors, firefighters, and most of the public are totally unaware - or they choose to be blissfully ignorant.

Forum Member

Get them to buy you a chiefs car or truck. Thats one of the benefits of being a chief around here, no gas for the six years you go through the chiefs line from 2nd asst. to full chief. Many depts in the northeast are always getting rid of them, so buy a used one if they cant afford new.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty interesting that this happens

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I am just curious as to how anyone can become a fire chief and not know what he is allowed to do. .
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering that myself...What was the policy when you were coming up through the ranks?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by mrgriss View Post
    I am the chief for a rural fire dept and I respond in my vehicle most of the time, is it legal for me to have warning lights on my vehicle.
    How does a chief not know the answer to that question?
    FF/Paramedic

Sorry just missed JB's post.
    FF/Paramedic

Another hook line and sinker troll bait thread.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Another hook line and sinker troll bait thread.
    YUP! It sure is!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

in our department, FF's use blue lights and any of the three chiefs can have red lights and light bars as well as sirens.

Thread Information