1. #1
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default CA- Fire Engine, Vehicle Collide; One Dead...(video)

    This just in. Sounds like the Engineer was opposing traffic. Its important to remember when driving code 3 and we hit someone, the legal eyes are on us. Mostly likely, the civilian drivers experience the same observation- "I didnt see the fire truck."

    Here is the news link with video- Fox News.

    Mira Loma (myfoxla.com) - A Riverside County fire truck and another vehicle collided today in the Mira Loma area, fatally injuring the occupant of the smaller vehicle, authorities said.

    The accident was reported shortly after 5 a.m. at Etiwanda Avenue and Van Buren Boulevard, the California Highway Patrol reported.

    Riverside County fire Capt. Julie Hutchinson said one person in the passenger vehicle was killed and two firefighters suffered "moderate" injuries.

    The circumstances of the collision were under investigation. The fire truck was on its way to a call for service when the collision occurred, said fire Capt. Fernando Herrera.
    The Truck Company in this picture doesnt seem to be involved-

    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    bharer75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Coast Pride!
    Posts
    352

    Default

    oh wow! this is a big deal.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Got the email earlier. Bummer.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Glad the brothers were not seriousley injured.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Very tragic.

    I can't imagine what that engineer and officer are going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are with the civilians family and the brothers who were injured, as well as that Department as a whole.

    This is going to get very messy I presume.





    Message to all on Firehouse.com...........I would hope that we, as a group of active, retired, future fire service professionals, fire service buff/fans, and trades people, we would wait patiently for results of the investigation into this crash so we all can learn from it.

    Please do not use this opportunity to further individual agendas or to Monday Morning Quarterback.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    RFD1067's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Riverside Ca.
    Posts
    157

    Default

    The driver of that Engine is going to be put through hell, with the investigation alone. Personally he will be putting himself through hell. He will need alot of support from family and friends.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    138

    Default

    He must have been going at a pretty good pace

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    More info
    Pickup, fire truck collide in Mira Loma; one dead, three injured

    The three-man crew was wearing seat belts inside the cab. The firefighters were to be placed off-duty after being treated for their injuries, Riverside County Fire Capt. Fernando Herrera said.

    The firefighters' identities were not released.

    Traffic is required by law to stop and yield to emergency vehicles at intersections. The Fire Department's policy is for engines to always make a full stop at an intersection while responding with lights and sirens and wait to proceed once traffic is clear, Herrera said.

    Mosley said it has not been determined if the fire engine stopped at the intersection Wednesday morning.

    "We always have to follow protocol," Herrera said. "Regardless if there is a green light or not, we have to follow protocol."

    At some intersections, but not at the crash scene, firefighters have the ability to flash a light at a stoplight receiver and turn all other lights in the intersection to red. Even in those conditions, fire engines are still required to make a complete stop, Herrera said.
    Assuming the driver followed their SOP he should be in the clear. Looks like the other guy just blew the intersection. He was probably thinking to himself, I wonder why all of these cars are stopping for a green light.

  9. #9
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    More info
    Pickup, fire truck collide in Mira Loma; one dead, three injured



    Assuming the driver followed their SOP he should be in the clear. Looks like the other guy just blew the intersection. He was probably thinking to himself, I wonder why all of these cars are stopping for a green light.

    Ususally Opitcom doesnt work that way, but we may never know that the driver was thinking at the time. When you oppose traffic, its a HUGE gamble and most likely going to turn sour on the Driver.

    I have done it before and it is scarey.

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Ususally Opitcom doesnt work that way, but we may never know that the driver was thinking at the time. When you oppose traffic, its a HUGE gamble and most likely going to turn sour on the Driver.

    I have done it before and it is scarey.
    The driver of a brown Dodge Ram broadsided the fire engine shortly after 5 a.m. at Etiwanda Avenue and Van Buren Boulevard as the engine was moving through the intersection with lights and sirens on, California Highway Patrol Officer Sylvia Mosley said.
    Witnesses said all other eastbound traffic had stopped but the Dodge pickup continued forward through the intersection, colliding with the front passenger side of the engine, Mosley said. Authorities were unaware of any distractions or why the pickup continued through the intersection.
    From this I don't get that it was a head-on collision, rather the guy in the pickup came out of the side road.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    As always....why don't we wait and see what the investigation reveals and put ALL of those involved in our thoughts.

  12. #12
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    From this I don't get that it was a head-on collision, rather the guy in the pickup came out of the side road.
    Conflicting reports here? I thought the first video said he was traveling in the wrong direction of travel.

  13. #13
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Yes, the reports are very confusing. It says the PU hit the engine broadside but then says the whole drivers side was caved in form the impact.

    To answer your question jakesdad. There is something to be learned here. Waiting until the incident is nothing but a faded memory misses an excellent opportunity to prevent further incidents. And if we wait the year and a half to get the report many more could be hurt or injured while waiting.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Yes, the reports are very confusing. It says the PU hit the engine broadside but then says the whole drivers side was caved in form the impact.

    To answer your question jakesdad. There is something to be learned here. Waiting until the incident is nothing but a faded memory misses an excellent opportunity to prevent further incidents. And if we wait the year and a half to get the report many more could be hurt or injured while waiting.

    If the reports are conflicting and it is unclear what truly happened, then what are you actually learning here?

    Until an actual investigation is performed and released, then the rest is just mere speculation and hardly provides a lesson any more than making up a hypothetical accident.

    The lessons you purport to learn involving this accident may be completely debunked or based entirely on falsehoods.

    Or not.

    That is why an investigation is performed.

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    If the reports are conflicting and it is unclear what truly happened, then what are you actually learning here?

    Until an actual investigation is performed and released, then the rest is just mere speculation and hardly provides a lesson any more than making up a hypothetical accident.

    The lessons you purport to learn involving this accident may be completely debunked or based entirely on falsehoods.

    Or not.

    That is why an investigation is performed.
    Oh very simple. Don't assume that everyone in an intersection can see you and will stop. Realize that you aren't the only one on the road. Be alert at all times, especially when doing things that are non-conforming.

    You can learn these lessons without placing any kind of blame.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Oh very simple. Don't assume that everyone in an intersection can see you and will stop. Realize that you aren't the only one on the road. Be alert at all times, especially when doing things that are non-conforming.

    You can learn these lessons without placing any kind of blame.
    And you can learn these lessons without an accident occuring. And if you don't already know those lessons, you have no business driving anything.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    metro detroit
    Posts
    85

    Default Not the first... sadly won't be the last.

    Being an engine driver/operator I try to control everything that I can during detail time on the streets and especially during emergency response. Unfortunately I have seen way too many fenderbenders and near misses from us just responding to calls. I try to make my actions very obvious to other drivers on the streets by slowing down and being very deliberate in my actions during certain parts of the response route, a couple examples are during rush hour times and approaching intersections.

    The point I'm trying to make is this. It's up to each one of us that drive apparatus to make it a priority to get to an emergency as safely as possible, believe me I've seen drivers blow throw red lights at 10-15 mph assuming the traffic is stopped simply because it APPEARS to be stopped.

    I am going to go with the belief that the engine driver in the above incident was doing everything in his/her power to get to the incident safely. This was an accident and unfortunately they will continue to happen, as much as all of us wish they wouldn't.

  18. #18
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    I would like to throw in something whats NOT related to this incident.

    One of my pet peeves is when public safety personnel repond code 3 and one or more of their emergency lights is out of service. Sure they do a check in the morning, but sometimes some people blow off a bulb out or just wait until someone else gets to it. I think this is BS and this is why we sometimes have collsions. The public drivers just do not see the lights, apparatus or both.

    Sometimes in the middle of the day, I have had to get up on a roof and breakdown a lightbar just to replace one bulb. Its a long and boring job, but it has to be done. you can be sure the Investigators in this crash are going to look at every light and every bulb.

    Please make sure all of your lighting is working properly.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-08-2009 at 03:04 PM.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    DixieFire53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Gulfport MS
    Posts
    161

    Exclamation

    I Agree!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Message to all on Firehouse.com...........I would hope that we, as a group of active, retired, future fire service professionals, fire service buff/fans, and trades people, we would wait patiently for results of the investigation into this crash so we all can learn from it.

    Please do not use this opportunity to further individual agendas or to Monday Morning Quarterback.
    DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

  20. #20
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Message to all on Firehouse.com...........I would hope that we, as a group of active, retired, future fire service professionals, fire service buff/fans, and trades people, we would wait patiently for results of the investigation into this crash so we all can learn from it.

    Please do not use this opportunity to further individual agendas or to Monday Morning Quarterback.
    It's called Paralysis by Analysis.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    L-Town, SC
    Posts
    109

    Default

    A little off topic, but I have to say that is the first time I have ever seen a news reporter wearing any kind of high visibility garmet while on the scene of an incident.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    eastcoastFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    108

    Question

    Forgive my ignorance but I am from a department that uses plain text. I gather that code 3 means lights and sirens. I suppose some less progressive departments still use terminology like that. My question is what are code 1 and 2? and is there a code 4?

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    RFD1067's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Riverside Ca.
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastFF View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I am from a department that uses plain text. I gather that code 3 means lights and sirens. I suppose some less progressive departments still use terminology like that. My question is what are code 1 and 2? and is there a code 4?
    I have no idea what code 1 is but code 2 is normal driving, obeying all traffic laws, stopping at red lights etc. Code 3 is lights and siren and code 4 isn't about driving. Usually a cop term meaning everything is ok.

  24. #24
    Early Adopter
    cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFD1067 View Post
    I have no idea what code 1 is but code 2 is normal driving, obeying all traffic laws, stopping at red lights etc. Code 3 is lights and siren and code 4 isn't about driving. Usually a cop term meaning everything is ok.
    But wait... At the ambulance service I work for, Code 1 is lights and sirens... and so is Code 2, actually. Code 3 is with the normal flow of traffic.

  25. #25
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastFF View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I am from a department that uses plain text. I gather that code 3 means lights and sirens. I suppose some less progressive departments still use terminology like that. My question is what are code 1 and 2? and is there a code 4?
    Code 1- Routine driving.
    Code 2- Urgent. Expedite, but obey all traffic laws. No red light, siren.
    Code 3- Emergency. Proceed immediately using red light and siren.

    Pretty much all of California uses "clear text", but these three driving codes are a universal standard for radio traffic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. San Francisco multi-vehicle fire...Raw video.
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM
  2. Young Man Killed As Fire Truck, Car Collide
    By nozzelvfd in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
  3. Fire Truck, School Bus Collide
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 06:02 AM
  4. 1 Dead after Fire Truck and Cars Collide
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 01:42 PM
  5. 4 year old dead in fire truck incident
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register