Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost Benefit

MembersZone Subscriber
    20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

Catch22

In my narrative I have considered using only the better of the 2 numbers. My concern is getting past the computer. Do I have a good enough shot at it? We have a population of 767 and our average call volume is around 77.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rjcont View Post
    Catch22

In my narrative I have considered using only the better of the 2 numbers. My concern is getting past the computer. Do I have a good enough shot at it? We have a population of 767 and our average call volume is around 77.
    Are you a municipal department? The reason I ask is that you have a rather solid number for a population (not "about xxx"). If you have some rural area, are you making sure to count your population there?

Make sure you're capalizing on your runs, as well as your coverage area and population. I don't know how you tally runs, but I know some of our departments around here that do themselves a disservice on the way they classify runs. They don't count flu fires as a "structure fire". They'll disregard on an MVC if advised no injuries en route, classifying it as a "cancelled en route" instead of downgrading and assisting with traffic control or checking for fluid spills and counting it as an MVC.

The same thing can happen if guys aren't completing run reports, which is a problem I've had in the past. Since the opening of our 911 center last year, I get a monthly print-off of our calls so I can make sure we have an accurate count. I've found as many as 12 calls in a month where I had no run reports for calls I didn't know occurred (because I was at work or out of pager range that day), some of which were fire runs.

I'm not talking about tweeking or padding stats, mind you. Just make sure you're getting the credit where it should be. Sometimes little things can make a difference.

As far as what kind of population and run numbers it takes to beat the computer, I honestly don't know. I have seen smaller departments than you get awarded, though.

MembersZone Subscriber
    20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

I have my operations and safety for PPE all done except for crossing the t's and dotting the I's so the research is done and the #'s are solid. With help from Kurt Bradley and all the reading I have done here I think we have a good shot. Right now I am laid up with hand sugery and have the next 4 to 6 weeks with nothing to do but research the next project on our list. So at this point I am putting #'s together and trying to figure our chances for a Brush/Quick attack. I have everything in front of me but the actuall truck cost and am thinking I have about a 50% chance if we make it past the computer. That's good enough for me to try, You do not know if fema will award untill you ask.

Without the info here and Kurt's seminar I would have been lost.

Thank's to everbody!!

Forum Member

Using the common formula, cost divided by the product of population served multiplied by usable service life, where cost is $250,000, population is 10,767 residents, and service life is 25 years. This equates to an average cost of $0.92 per person.

Is this too deep for my narrative??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Menlo715 View Post
    Using the common formula, cost divided by the product of population served multiplied by usable service life, where cost is $250,000, population is 10,767 residents, and service life is 25 years. This equates to an average cost of $0.92 per person.

Is this too deep for my narrative??
    It's really personal preference on how you address the above in the narrative.

I have never shown a formula, but do something like this.

The cost of the pumper project is $250,000 with a service life of 25 years equates to 92¢ per person.

You may want to show the formula instead of words, it will be easier to visualize.

Using the common formula, cost of project/(population x service life)....

Forum Member

Default I would go visual

List it as 92 pennies with a little pocket lint.

Forum Member

Thanks again onebuble

Forum Member

buble.....bugle.

too much typing today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Menlo715 View Post
    buble.....bugle.

too much typing today.
    I hear you...getting writers cramp myself.

Sometimes depending on the cost per person, I try to give the PR a visual reference to the cost.

.......42¢ per person; the cost of a postage stamp.

Forum Member

'Onebuble' I like that! LOL

Thread Information