Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Ppa

Default Ppa

Just wondering if any guys use the tatic of cutting a hole in the roof and using it as your opening for PPA (or even PPV). I had a guy tell me that they did that on a fire recently. His pretty close to exact words were, "We cut a hole in the roof, then turned the fan in." And I wasn't sure if that would help or what. My main thought was if you got vertical ventilation why would you also use the fan? So I was just wondering if anybody does this, and if so why?
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually us our PPA with a horizontal ventilation just prior to fan use and then attack but this website may give you a few answers. I got the impression during their lecture that these guys are not huge fans of vertical ventilation.

http://www.positivepressureattack.com/

Forum Member

The primary purpose of mechanical ventilation is to force the smoke from the building and to do so more quickly than natural ventilation. The presence of a hole in the roof doesn't specifically negate the need to utilize a fan.

As for us, we rarely vent the roof. Due to our low on-duty staffing, we find it more efficient to do horizontal ventilation. This is generally more than adequate for our needs and most of the time, we'd have the fire knocked down before the cut could be completed anyway.

Post vertical vent

we recently had a singlestory family dweeling with fire in the attic we sent a team in the attic one on the roof and one setting up our ppv. i was in the attic as soon as the hole was cut we started the ppv fan instantly we had great visibilty and were able to knock down much fster than if we hadn't vented now this was a rare occasion when we had enough personnel on scene to cover all assignments. but in any situation venting has worked wonders for us

MembersZone Subscriber CKirk922's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coliverhrfd View Post
    we recently had a singlestory family dweeling with fire in the attic we sent a team in the attic one on the roof and one setting up our ppv. i was in the attic as soon as the hole was cut we started the ppv fan...
    Brother, I wish to respectfully point out that one foundation of Positive Pressure vent (attack) is not to enter UNTIL you have the area pressurized by the fan. Getting in position ahead of the fan can lead to a host of real bad things; namely extreme rollovers and flashovers fed by the fan. www.vententersearch.com has a good video illustrating this point right now on their site (Adding Fuel to the Fire). In the last two years, there have been a bunch of videos like that one that make the same point. IF the fire gets between you and the intended vent point and you turn that fan on and pressurize the structure, then you can end up in a world of hurt. The recommended proceedure is to open the vent point, pressurize (fan), and move in from the fan opening extinguishing as you go. Make every effort to keep the fire "in front" of you.

Stay safe, go home alive.
    Last edited by fireeaterbob; 02-27-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireeaterbob View Post
    Brother, I wish to respectfully point out that one foundation of Positive Pressure vent (attack) is not to enter UNTIL you have the area pressurized by the fan. Getting in position ahead of the fan can lead to a host of real bad things; namely extreme rollovers and flashovers fed by the fan. www.vententersearch.com has a good video illustrating this point right now on their site (Adding Fuel to the Fire). In the last two years, there have been a bunch of videos like that one that make the same point. IF the fire gets between you and the intended vent point and you turn that fan on and pressurize the structure, then you can end up in a world of hurt. The recommended proceedure is to open the vent point, pressurize (fan), and move in from the fan opening extinguishing as you go. Make every effort to keep the fire "in front" of you.

Stay safe, go home alive.
    the fact that vertical ventilation was already started directly above AN ATTIC FIRE should entail that rollovers and flashovers could not happen. and in fire 1 fifth addition they tell you that vent should be started simultaneous to your attack use them together. you can not have a rollover situation with vertical vent directly above the fire it has somwhere to go and if vent helps with seeing conditions it will assist with knockdown

Thread Information