Thread: afg/scba

MembersZone Subscriber

Default afg/scba

Brian/Kurt..anyone Can anyone list a few do's and don'ts for scba grant.
    Maybe top five of each. I have looked at all posts for years and this year we are going to put in for scba's.

Thanks for help ahead of time
    Curt

Forum Member

pretty simple actually....are your scba nfpa compliant? how old are they? do you have an scba for each seat of your fire apparatus? if the answer is no to those questions and your scba are 10-15+ years old, you should be successful.......while youre at it, apply for a cascade / air fill system also (if you don't have one), they go hand-in-hand......

Forum Member

Anybody know how I can get my eyes on the scba standard without paying an arm and a leg? Thanks

Forum Member

Still waiting for word on our 08 application for scba/fill station. Our scba are the heavy low pressure steel bottles and almost 20 years old. I hope the fact that we only had four structure fires in 08 won't hurt us. In my opinion, one should be enough. Fingers crossed.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking arm and a leg NFPA

You can view NFPA on line for free as much as you want, just go th their home page, search and review. If you do want a document in print (my suggestion for your grant book) get out the credit card and spend the $32 or $35 or whatever it is to downloawd the PDF. That's a really cheap investment even for 1 SCBA at $5,250 awarded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    You can view NFPA on line for free as much as you want, just go th their home page, search and review. If you do want a document in print (my suggestion for your grant book) get out the credit card and spend the $32 or $35 or whatever it is to downloawd the PDF. That's a really cheap investment even for 1 SCBA at $5,250 awarded.
    As was stated, you can view for FREE! You just can't cut and paste or anything else, just view.

Having it on-hand to work with is much better. If it's an "important" standard that you need to do a lot of work with, break-down and buy it. If you just need a once or twice reference, the "view" is a nice tool.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Don't forget to throw in a Quantitative Fit Testing Unit and a RIT Pack along with individual face pieces. I've been very successful with SCBA if you need help then shoot over an e-mail

Forum Member

Ryan, is there anything you haven't been successful with? Don't have any available firefighters to send down do you? I have deployed my generator unit, and our mass casualty/surge unit and now my chief and two more firefighters have deployed, and we are anticipating a second deployment next week with one more to follow after that. Luckily all of our water problems are good for right now, and we have all power back on. The western part of the state still has over 200K withour power, and they are saying mid march before its all back on. I thougth you guys would get all of the snow and ice, but Kurt must have flown over us or atleast close by.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our EMS Stike team out of Middle TN is headed home today and they are wanting ema related folk to head back up next week to assist with other things

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Ryan, is there anything you haven't been successful with? Don't have any available firefighters to send down do you? I have deployed my generator unit, and our mass casualty/surge unit and now my chief and two more firefighters have deployed, and we are anticipating a second deployment next week with one more to follow after that. Luckily all of our water problems are good for right now, and we have all power back on. The western part of the state still has over 200K withour power, and they are saying mid march before its all back on. I thougth you guys would get all of the snow and ice, but Kurt must have flown over us or atleast close by.
    Well as far as AFG goes, the only thing I've ever been turned down for has been a Fire Prevention Grant and that was my fault for putting it together in a hurry.

Sorry though, can't spare firefighters. Not when we are losing 7 positions through attrition and just lost our Deputy Director because of budget cuts.

Hey, if you guys are deploying, we have a fire in one of the housing projects right now. I'm sure they could use your help.

Glad to hear that you're doing ok. If you contact MABAS, make a special request for me and I'll see what I can do to break free.

Forum Member

I will trade you the fire for one 18 month old we are getting ready to decon from a meth house.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    As was stated, you can view for FREE! You just can't cut and paste or anything else, just view.

Having it on-hand to work with is much better. If it's an "important" standard that you need to do a lot of work with, break-down and buy it. If you just need a once or twice reference, the "view" is a nice tool.
    You can however use the "Print Screen" capability of your computer to capture text.

I agree with DFDCar1 though.....if you need it for a lot of reference...buy it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    I will trade you the fire for one 18 month old we are getting ready to decon from a meth house.
    I just had to decon my 18 month's old diaper...is that the same thing?

Forum Member

Thankfully, my four year olds have long passed that stage, but I have seen (smelled) a few that would have probably eaten through a level A suit in milliseconds.

WJ, we have a crew staged at the Greenville depot, I have not spoken with them tonight, but they were expecting tree assignment tomorrow. The surge trailer is at a special needs shelter in Ohio County which is not far from there, and the generator is running a water plant in Wolfe County which is actually not to far from us.

I think todays estimate had only around 200K without power, down from last weeks 700k. But hey we have shown the need for the trailers do exist, and they have been put to use for what they were bought for.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Search the magazine archives here and at Fire-Rescue Magazine & Fire Engineering. Someone has written an article explaining the changes. Or contact a vendor, they have briefs on them too. Most do anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just quick add on......we are using air packs that are around 10 years old and the brand is not made anymore. Will that help because of upgrade issues.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Won't help with the computer since that's not an option that can be marked as to no brand, but certainly valid argument in the narrative.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Won't help with the computer since that's not an option that can be marked as to no brand, but certainly valid argument in the narrative.
    Definitely in the narrative, but DHS is aware that the defunct company thing is an issue and there MAY be a consideration added in the computer scoring matrix. If by some chance that happens, we may or may not know in advance.

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Only for 97 edition packs, several folks have said they won't consider 2002 upgrades at all and the preference for 97 is upgrades over replacement if it is possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

True Brian, but they may be considering an exception on a defunct mfr whose products cannot be supported. The sense i got in our workshop was that it would most likely be okay in the narrative. From what i got out of the discussion, the program office has discussed the possibility of working that into the scoring matrix--but not sure if they could. She very clearly stated that if they consider that mfr for that reason, it would be the only reason for an exception to the 1997 standard.

You or Kurt may want to paw the ground with all the contacts y'all have, see if you can learn anything else for us.

Gotta go put on my Freddie Kruger outfit for our Valentines dinner!!

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I got the gist of it earlier out of a lot of people and upgrade is higher score on 97s unless call volume says they're worn out and narrative says they were bought in 97 or 98. They can't get involved in brand name preference so since it isn't the fault of those that can be upgraded that they did an engineering marvel or the fault of the department that bought the non-defunct manufacturer that someone else did buy them, I don't see how they can include that in the computer scoring and not bias the program towards or away from one brand or another. It is definitely more than valid as a narrative reason, used it several times myself. But not a computer issue as far as my worthless opinion goes with them deciding what to do. I just play the game.

Thread Information