Forum Member

Default DC firefighter shoots 3 and kills himself

MATTHEW CELLA
    Story by The Washington Times

A D.C. firefighter shot his girlfriend, who is also a D.C. firefighter, and her parents before killing himself Wednesday afternoon, police and fire officials said.

The shooting occurred at about 4 p.m. at a home in the 6700 block of Hastings Drive in Seat Pleasant, Prince George's County police said. The girlfriend, who was not identified but said to be in her 20s, was taken to an area hospital in critical condition.

Officer Henry Tippett said the parents, both in their 60s, were expected to survive.

The shooter was pronounced dead at the scene.

Alan Etter, a fire department spokesman, acknowledged that two of the people involved in the shooting were fire department employees, but said he could not identify them.

"We are aware that two of our employees are involved in this tragedy," he said. "Obviously our condolences are with their families."

Police did not identify the shooter, but multiple D.C. fire department sources said the man was Dante A. Paire, 22. The sources said the shooting victims were Jessica L. Wimbish and her parents, Jennifer A. Wimbish and Aubrey K. Wimbish. Miss Wimbish, who started on the job in 2005, was assigned to the fire department's Truck 16 in Southeast.

According to Maryland court records, Miss Wimbish in November 2007 filed for a temporary restraining order against Mr. Paire. The case was dismissed days after it was filed "at the request of the petitioner," according to court papers.

Court records show another woman filed a restraining order against Mr. Paire on Jan. 6. He was scheduled to have a hearing on the order Wednesday morning in Prince George's County District Court.

D.C. fire department records indicate a woman by the same name as the woman who filed for the latter restraining order was listed as a wagon driver at Engine 20 in Tenleytown last year at the same time Mr. Paire served there. It was not clear Wednesday night whether Mr. Paire's former colleague was the one who filed for the restraining order.

Sources within the fire department said Mr. Paire was serving a suspension, and orders had been issued that he was not to be allowed on fire department property.

Mr. Paire was a 2005 graduate of the fire department's cadet program - a hiring program aimed at providing jobs for troubled city youth. He graduated from the program in September 2005 and was assigned to Engine 25 in Southeast. He was later assigned to Engine 20 in the Tenleytown neighborhood of Northwest and was serving there when he was suspended.

This proves two things:

1. By and large, women in a fire station is not a good thing.
    2. Neither is hiring people that are "troubled."

Controversial I know, but very true.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-05-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

This proves two things:

Controversial to say the least. But #1 is the thinking of a dinorsaur and we know what happened to them.

I will agree 100% on #2 though, hands down.

My condolences to those involved. No matter the reasons, this is a very bad thing.

Forum Member

Careful,some of us avoided the tar pits,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    This proves two things:

Let me get this straight.

A male commits an act of deadly domestic violence against his girlfriend and her family. He (apparently) met the woman at his place of employment.

(NOTE: You do realize that people begin romantic relationships at work every day, right?)

Both parties happen to be fire fighters.

And you blame the hiring of female fire fighters as the reason for this homicide?

Here's a news flash: Domestic violence against women-I don't care what their occupation is-is committed by a coward-I don't care what their occupation is. If this guy killed his g/f and shot her parents, he is and was nothing more than a coward, scumbag criminal. Period.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Early Adopter

This proves two things:
    Actually, this proves only one thing...
    1. By and large, thugs in the fire department are not a good thing.

Have your opinions on women in the firehouse if you want. That issue simply does not apply here. The issue of this story is exclusively that of Dante Paire, who was obviously a thug (for beating up women) and a coward (for how he tried to take others with him when he killed himself). This guy was up to no good with or without females in the firehouse.

On the topic of his cowardice, what's with this trend of killing everyone in the room while committing suicide. It seems like more people are doing it lately. Is it to get CNN coverage? Or are they just that greedy -- not wanting to live and not wanting anyone else to live also?

Forum Member

This proves two things:

I would of expected a little more from you. Honestly.

If these two people worked in an insurance office, would you also state that "by and large, women in an insurance office is not a good thing"?

If you want to state your opinions about "women in the fire service", then I suggest you start a thread about "women in the fire service" that doesn't begin with a fellow firefighter and her parents being shot.

My condolences to her and her family.

Permanently Removed

Its too bad someone, anyone didnt see the signs and tried to get them help prior.

And Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a great tool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    And you blame the hiring of female fire fighters as the reason for this homicide?
    No, but you can't deny that if neither of the two things mentioned occured, the woman and her parents would most likely not be injured today.

Here's a news flash: Domestic violence against women-I don't care what their occupation is-is committed by a coward-I don't care what their occupation is. If this guy killed his g/f and shot her parents, he is and was nothing more than a coward, scumbag criminal. Period.
    Agreed. I did not state is was the only two things. Many factors contributed to this and you are dead on with your summary above, but it doesn't change the outcome. The job, most likely due to succumbing to political and social pressures put two people, most likely neither of which being the best candidates in a 24 hour environment where they at one time chose to be intimate, a bad decision on both parts and it went from bad to worse.

I apologize only for not putting this in my orginal post:

Condolences to all of the innocent partied involved.

We had a similar situation here about 7 or 8 years ago where a "troubled" employee suppoedly thought that his spouse was sleeping with another firefighter. He killed her and set the house on fire. He then ambushed a Sheriff's Deputy and Engine company that responded to the fire killing the Deputy, the Engine's Lieutenant, and a firefighter before finally being shot himself.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-05-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, but you can't deny that if neither of the two things mentioned occured, the woman and her parents would most likely not be injured today.
    I keep waiting for the post where you tell us all that you were just playing us. If you are serious, there is something seriously wrong with you.

What you are saying is kind of like "If the PANYNJ didn't build the WTC, 343 FF would be alive today".

The girl would be alive and her parents would not be injured if a man did not commit a pattern of domestic violence against a woman. The girl would be alive and her parents would not be injured if a man did not ignore a restraining order. This is domestic violence, not a labor issue.

Permanently Removed

This proves two things:

How can you guys counter this??? His thoughts are based on tradition and thats the house rule here.

Ok, calm down. I wasnt serious.

Forum Member

This is domestic violence, not a labor issue.
    Its domestic violence as the result of a women being placed in a firehouse along with a "troubled" employee.

Did you read the story?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Its too bad someone, anyone didnt see the signs and tried to get them help prior.

Actually, I heard he was already being watched by the department for threatening an officer at some other point. I think I heard that on TWD. Don't quote me on that though since it's just a rumor I heard.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Wow, just wow...Welcome to 2009. Take out their occupations, and it's just another day in MD or this country for that matter...

Looks like someone had some anger management issues and at least he can't plead insanity or not guilty now.

Anyway, here's another article relating to the incident:

D.C. Firefighter Shoots Woman, Her Parents, Then Kills Himself
    Wounded Ex-Fiancee Also a D.C. Firefighter, Authorities Say

By Aaron C. Davis and Elissa Silverman
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Thursday, February 5, 2009; B08

A D.C. firefighter shot his former fiancee, also a D.C. firefighter, and her parents in their Prince George's County home yesterday and then killed himself, law enforcement sources said.

The woman, identified as Jessica Wimbish, was hospitalized in critical condition, as was her mother, officials said. Her father was seriously wounded.

The gunman, Dante Paire, was pronounced dead at the scene in the 6700 block of Hastings Drive, just east of Seat Pleasant. County police were dispatched there shortly after 4 p.m. in response to reports of gunfire, said Officer Larry Johnson, a police spokesman.

Paire shot Wimbish, 25, in the stomach and chest, somehow missing a 2-year-old girl who was sitting on her lap, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. One source said the girl is Wimbish's daughter; it was not clear who her father is.

Paire, believed to be in his 20s, then shot Wimbish's mother, Jennifer Wimbish, multiple times in the upper body as she and her husband fled, the source said. The husband was struck in the leg. His name could not be learned last night.

Police are investigating whether a man and a woman who argued earlier in the day at an Applebee's in Forestville were Paire and Jessica Wimbish. Employees called 911, saying the man left the restaurant in a Silver Lexus and providing a partial license plate number, sources said. A vehicle matching that description was found at the scene of the shooting.

In the parking lot outside the restaurant, the argument became physical. At one point, the man threw a cellphone on the ground, an employee said.

"He destroyed the phone, throwing it down, and then he slapped the girl," the employee said, speaking on condition of anonymity because his supervisors had not authorized him to speak about the incident.

Bystanders called 911, he said. The man lifted his shirt to flash a badge on his belt and cursed at the customers and employees. " 'Mind your own business,' " he said, according to the employee.

According to a D.C. fire department source, a notice was recently sent to District firehouses that Paire was not allowed on fire department property. The notice had a picture of Paire, who was last assigned to Engine 20 in Tenleytown. It was not clear why Paire was banned from department property.

Last night, D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Alan Etter said he would not identify the victims and gunman until their names have been officially released.

"We've been advised that two of our employees have been involved in what I can only describe as a horrendous tragedy," Etter said. "We pledge to support the families in any way we can."

Staff writer Theola Labbé- DeBose and researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-05-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo....
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you read the story?
    Yes I did.

Do you have a grasp on reality? No you don't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Wow, just wow...Welcome to 2009. Take out their occupations, and it's just another day in MD or this country for that matter...

Looks like someone had some anger management issues and at least he can't plead insanity or not guilty now. ...

According to a D.C. fire department source, a notice was recently sent to District firehouses that Paire was not allowed on fire department property. The notice had a picture of Paire, who was last assigned to Engine 20 in Tenleytown. It was not clear why Paire was banned from department property.Last night, D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Alan Etter said he would not identify the victims and gunman until their names have been officially released.

"We've been advised that two of our employees have been involved in what I can only describe as a horrendous tragedy," Etter said. "We pledge to support the families in any way we can."

Staff writer Theola Labbé- DeBose and researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.
    Geez, what does a guy have to do in order to be "banned" from all property in a full-time FD (and still remain employed by said dept.)?

"Anger management issues"? I'll say!
    No good deed goes unpunished

Forum Member

Agreed. I did not state is was the only two things. Many factors contributed to this and you are dead on with your summary above, but it doesn't change the outcome. The job, most likely due to succumbing to political and social pressures put two people, most likely neither of which being the best candidates in a 24 hour environment where they at one time chose to be intimate, a bad decision on both parts and it went from bad to worse.

I apologize only for not putting this in my orginal post:

Condolences to all of the innocent partied involved.

We had a similar situation here about 7 or 8 years ago where a "troubled" employee suppoedly thought that his spouse was sleeping with another firefighter. He killed her and set the house on fire. He then ambushed a Sheriff's Deputy and Engine company that responded to the fire killing the Deputy, the Engine's Lieutenant, and a firefighter before finally being shot himself.

Unless you know the firefighter that was shot firefighter, maybe you should not try to completely discredit the manner in which she was hired.

Additionally, the situation you described happening 7 or 8 years ago isn't any more tragic simply because the firefighters that were shot were males.

Do you have this much disdain for women in general, or just in the firehouse?

If nothing else, show some respect for a firefighter befallen by tragedy regardless of their sex.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well............

This is in my Backyard, sort of, but I don't know any of those involved. However, my Condolences, and my prayers that the survivors heal quickly. I would think that we all should stop for a moment and reflect on how lucky we are to be where we are today, and how thankful we are that we are not beset with problems that create situations such as this. Then, we should quietly and respectfully move on.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Social expirements don't work

So this young man was placed into a program for troubled youths and then fast-tracked into a career of a firefighter. Isn't that special. How many qualified, well-balanced candidates did he pass on the list to get hired.

Any fire department absolutely cannot out-perform a bad hire. At some point in their career, they will do something that erases all of the style points the department tried to achieve when they hired someone who wasn't the best candidate.

This is not Little League, where no how bad you suck, you still get to go to Right Field for two innings. If you hire marginal employees, you will compromise your department. The old "Garbage in-Garbage out" theory in practice.

I'm sorry that this young female firefighter and her parents had to pay the price for social engineering.

Forum Member

I'm sorry that this young female firefighter and her parents had to pay the price for social engineering.
    The fact that this happened to two firefighters is irrelevant. They could have been Burger King employees and it wouldn't have changed anything about the situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    The fact that this happened to two firefighters is irrelevant. They could have been Burger King employees and it wouldn't have changed anything about the situation.
    True.. but the story wouldn't be the lead on the 6:00 news and would probably be buried on page 2 in the local section of "The Daily Fishwrap".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    That is true. But being that this is a firefighter's forum and not a “Home of the Whopper” forum, we are commenting on it.

My point is that the fire service usually does not have a shortage of applicants, and we owe it to ourselves and to our citizens to hire stable, competent personnel. If the department recognizes that one of the employees is not stable, then try to help them. If that does not work, thank them for their time and show them the way to the door.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Absolutely........

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    True.. but the story wouldn't be the lead on the 6:00 news and would probably be buried on page 2 in the local section of "The Daily Fishwrap".

Exactly right, Chief. And there are also three "Fire" families torn apart by this: Those who worked with her, Those who worked with him, and those who responded on the Call. Over the years, I've ran a few calls that involved a Brother from somewhere else, as well as a couple that I knew, and I know that sick feeling you get pulling up at the Scene and seeing an IAFF or other FD insignia on a Car or Pickup window................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This proves two things:

You sir are dead wrong in your thinking of women in the fire service. Get with the times.

It is a very tragic thing. We should not hire troubled people that way.

The only silver lining in the whole thing is that the trouble maker is dead, hopefully all three victims will survive.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post

You can't help those who don't want to be helped
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Banned

Women in the fire service isn't the problem here at all.

The problem is allowing a troubled youth into the fire service. Then again, where are they supposed to go to better themselves. I'm sure a comprehensive background check and psychological exam was performed. This stuff will happen, but you don't need these kinds of people in the fire service or in law enforcement.

The one thing it does prove is that you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. Or maybe this one, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Thread Information