Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 6 san francisco firefighters injured at early morning fire

SAN FRANCISCO -- One firefighter was battling for his life early Thursday and five others were treated for lesser injuries suffered when they were overwhelmed by a blast of superheated air while fighting a three-alarm vacant home blaze.
    San Francisco Fire Department Lt. Ken Smith said the intensity of the blaze surprised arriving firefighters as they charged into the front of the home. The fire was hidden -- raging behind walls, in the attic and at the rear of the structure.
    “It was a tough fire for us,” Smith said. “The building is vacant… The fire had its leeway on us before we got here. It was already growing. It was already raging. It was already hot. Once the firefighters hit the front door they were face with a fierce battle.”
    At one point the conditions forced crews to retreat and caused a large portion of the structure's roof to collapse, sending the blast of superheated air through the structure.
    Smith said one male firefighter suffered from major gas and smoke inhalation and was in critical condition. The next 72 hours would determine if he would survive. Five others were hospitalized in stable condition suffering from minor burns, smoke inhalation and an injured knee.
    The injuries were sustained in the extremely hot and fast-moving blaze first reported at about 12:30 a.m. at a vacant two-story residence at 627 Felton St., Smith said,
    Before the fire was declared under control at 1:45 a.m., more than 180 fire department personnel battled aggressive flames, heavy smoke and extreme heat.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

My thoughts and prayer are with the brothers and families thereof...

Is that number "180 firefighters" correct?

Forum Member

My thoughts go out west to the SFFD.

Please update us on the condition of the member critically injured when you can.

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers are with the firefighter and his family. Things don't look very good at the moment, sounds like he has signifigant burns to his airway.

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers to the injured and to the families.

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers are with the SFFD, and the family and friends of the injured firefighters. May they all have a full and speedy recovery.

MembersZone Subscriber

yes ~180 ff's is correct

Hoping for a very speedy recovery.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I heard last the firefighter is in very very critical condition, with burns to the airway, the firefighter is at SF general, one of the top trauma centers in the country, may Chris Posey and the SFFD be in out thoughts and prayers
    Last edited by rawbff15; 02-06-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Posey is in critical but stable condition at the hospital. Thank you all for your support, thoughts, and prayers. The others injured in the fire have been released or will be released very soon from the hospital.

One thing I realized from this is that we sometimes may not think about all the others who were at the fire and rescue. There are lots of emotions floating around, especially second guessing and the feeling that one could have possibly done something else to prevent this. Keep them in your thougts as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I realized from this is that we sometimes may not think about all the others who were at the fire and rescue. There are lots of emotions floating around, especially second guessing and the feeling that one could have possibly done something else to prevent this. Keep them in your thougts as well.
    Thanks for the update. My thoughts and prayers are with Firefighter Posey and the SFFD. Please take care and stay safe and know that all of you are in my thoughts as you get through this.

Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers..

Thread Information