Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice Work

Forum Member

Default Nice Work

Anyone see this on the FH home page? Sounds like These guys made a pretty impressive save.

Chicago Firefighters Risk 60-Foot Fall to Save Church

Posted: 02-05-2009
    Updated: 02-05-2009 09:28:22 AM

Kara Spak, The Chicago Sun-Times; Contributing: Mitch Dudek
    Chicago Sun Times

Carrying 50 pounds of equipment, dragging hundreds of feet of heavy hose, firefighters crawled Wednesday morning along a foot-wide catwalk that hovered precariously between Holy Name Cathedral's roof and ceiling.

There was no light except for the fire's glow, so the firefighters used their training, senses -- and a healthy sense of fear -- to navigate around the building's beams and trusses.

Their quick, careful action in the minutes when most of the city was just beginning to stir saved Holy Name Cathedral on Wednesday.

"The boys saved the church," said Deputy Chief Tony Romano of the Chicago Fire Department's 1st District. "It was a heroic effort by all parties to save the church. Everyone chipped in to do their job."

While everyone chipped in, those who found themselves in the dangerous, elevated area known as a cockloft weren't looking for extra attention.

"They were crawling, running into wires. There were metal pieces everywhere, and the roughly made scaffolding was hard to maneuver," said a firefighter who was in the cockloft but asked not to be named. "It's like someone deliberately set up an obstacle course and said if you fail, you die."

Department spokesman Larry Langford said firefighters climbed two ladders and squeezed through two openings on the church's west end to get to the planks leading to the fire in the northeast section of the church roof.

They removed their air tanks to fit through the holes. The catwalk was an estimated 60 feet up, and the firefighters had to sit on the hose to control it, Langford said. "Once they charge the water line, it's like trying to wrestle a bear," he said.

The firefighters weren't tethered to anything because "there was no time," Langford said. Had anyone slipped, the church's ceiling was 8 to 12 feet below and the pews and marble floor another 50 feet below that.

"This is probably one of the better saves the Chicago Fire Department has done," he said. "Church fires that start in the roof attic usually come down and take the sanctuary with them."

Forum Member

wow, pretty impressive work.

Forum Member

I guess if I was looking for any discussion I should have included something about what kind of helmets they were wearing...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    "It's like someone deliberately set up an obstacle course and said if you fail, you die."

The firefighters weren't tethered to anything because "there was no time," Langford said. Had anyone slipped, the church's ceiling was 8 to 12 feet below and the pews and marble floor another 50 feet below that.
    heh, maybe this will rile some people up.
    risk life, to save life. don't risk life for buildings. anthony avilo said it much better in his book, Fireground Strategies, but I don't have it handy. someone probably remembers it though.

I don't think Chief Avillo would have lost this building. Theres a time to be aggressive. They sound gung ho, but they got the job done.

Helmets off to CFD. They took their packs off to get to the fire. Thats hardcore.
    FF/Paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    heh, maybe this will rile some people up.
    risk life, to save life. don't risk life for buildings. anthony avilo said it much better in his book, Fireground Strategies, but I don't have it handy. someone probably remembers it though.
    I'll I have to say is we are risking our lifeís every shift driving to each and every call. We are also sworn to protect property as well. It is part of our duty. Be smart and methodical about it. However, don't just write something off just because there isn't a life to be saved.

If we used that logic you would be using the same tactics LA uses in the marshes of single story buildings and kiss asses.

Forum Member

I posted this because it sounds like they did a great job in saving the church. Also because we all have churches in our districts and therefore are all on even ground when looking at this. This one artical covers so many topics that are brought up on these boards that I thought it would generate some talk - at the very least from the "Risk a little" crowd. I guess since they were successful with their aggressive tactics, no one wants to talk about it. It's always more fun to bash when a tragedy occurs...

Sounds like the firefighters of the Chicago FD did an outstanding job saving this building.

Now Iím not a Safety Suzy by any means, but after reading the posting several times, I have to wonder if the Chiefs or IC were aware what the situation was in the churchís roof area?

Where are you ChicagoFF? Were you there?

Sounds to me like the CFD boys did an OUTSTANDING job!

I agree that there is a time to be aggressive and whoever it was that made the call to enter the cockloft made the right call.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

I guess if I was looking for any discussion I should have included something about what kind of helmets they were wearing...
    Since youre the one wondering, maybe look into that and get back to us?

Forum Member

bet the Chiefs didn't know the details until after it was done. "Yea cheif, the catwalks narrow but it isn't too bad, we almost got it."

A tip o' the ol' cow for the CFD Brothers!

Excellent job!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Hmmm......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Since youre the one wondering, maybe look into that and get back to us?
    Is this a serious question and contribution to this thread?

I wasn't wondering, I know. That was a sarcastic comment at the lack of response to an article that could generate pages of discussion about tactics, church fires, various safety proceedures, entry/no entry decisions, etc. I posted it because every thread on this site about tangential aspects of this profession draws a large response, but not so much on topics that should be our main concern. Helmets, rigs, sirens, flashlights, paint schemes, "whats in your pockets", blah, blah, blah...

I posted it because every thread on this site about tangential aspects of this profession draws a large response, but not so much on topics that should be our main concern.

You're right; how many green lights did the first due companies blow thru to get there?

"They were crawling, running into wires. There were metal pieces everywhere, and the roughly made scaffolding was hard to maneuver," said a firefighter who was in the cockloft but asked not to be named. "It's like someone deliberately set up an obstacle course and said if you fail, you die."

...They removed their air tanks to fit through the holes. The catwalk was an estimated 60 feet up, and the firefighters had to sit on the hose to control it, Langford said. "Once they charge the water line, it's like trying to wrestle a bear," he said.
    This is called doing the job, and having confidence in your ability to do the job, right.
    In order to operate like this you need to know how to stretch and handle handlines, know your mask inside out and backward, know that other companies are going to secure utilities and support your operation.

These guys did a great job of customer service, and they removed the risk and hazard by putting the fire out. No fire, no problem.

"This is probably one of the better saves the Chicago Fire Department has done," he said. "Church fires that start in the roof attic usually come down and take the sanctuary with them."

Again, stories like this should be the norm, not the exception. Everyone did a great job in saving this church. Churches can get away on you real quick. I've always been taught that you get in and knock a church before it can get away from you. This means finding the seat, which can be tough, it also means bringing in the right amount of water.

Nice job Local 2.

Good job, CFD.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_163882.html

Some pics and a few videos of the fire.

that is impressive work.

Thread Information