Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default OCFA Hand Crew Firefighter (full time)

ABOUT THE POSITIONS:
    The Orange County Fire Authority will be hiring 22 full-time Hand Crew Firefighters. This Hand Crew Firefighter Program will consist of two squads of 11 members each and be operational seven days per week, ten hours per day, year round. This is a 4/10 work schedule.

Appointees to these positions will, under supervision, perform a full range of strenuous physical tasks relative to fire suppression, fire line construction, improvement, and rehabilitation to firelines and burn areas; mop up fire hotspots using hand tools to stop the fire spread; and related support functions.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/ocfa/default.cfm

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied last night after getting the job notification. They said only 500 will be able to take the test.

What are the chances of an out-of-stater getting on. I know only 100 make it past the written, and that's all on me. When I get to the interview, will they really look at an out-of-stater that has no wildland experience? Thanks.

Forum Member

Wow, they are sure hiring more people than Ventura County.

Forum Member

i dont wanna sound like an idiot but what exactly are the duties and responsibilities of a hand crew firefighter?

Permanently Removed

Read the job flyer. Should tell all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i dont wanna sound like an idiot but what exactly are the duties and responsibilities of a hand crew firefighter?
    Basically, you are a type II crew when there are fires, then a janitor and maintenance worker for the off season

* Assists in firefighting functions in the suppression of wildland fires and other emergency responses.
    * Performs a variety of heavy manual labor related to maintenance, construction, clean up, and/or other related areas; uses a variety of hand and power tools in performing fire prevention activities to include construction and maintenance of fuel breaks, roads, and trails.
    * Fireline construction to include shoveling, raking, pruning, chainsaw work and/or other related activities.
    * May be responsible to act as a lead worker.
    * Responds to alarms as a member of a fire suppression crew, and enters burning areas.
    * Participates in regular training activities, and fire prevention activities.
    * Participates in building, grounds and equipment maintenance; inspects, cleans and repairs related equipment; performs minor construction work; performs general housekeeping duties in fire station.
    * Operates and maintains a variety of equipment.
    * Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.

Forum Member

Lol...OCFA doesn't have winter. Try 4/10's from here until you find a differant job. It is a good chance to get into the org. Bust butt and show that you deserve a Struc job. It is a foot in the door.
    I'd reasearch who is running the crew. Hopefully not any of you. I'm wondering if they are hoping to pick up a crew boss in the mix. Wildland fire fighters until lately were the black sheep on the compounds till Struc departments realized we ment lots of Federal $$$$$. A lot of fed folks will be watching this crew with weary eyes. I'm crabby tonight. My apologies..Good luck to all that apply.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Seems like it may be similar to a Wildland/Fuels Reduction Crew, such as the one here:

http://www.tahoefire.com/?zone=/powe...ls20Management

Had some friends that did the Zephyr Crew several years ago and they loved it.

Forum Member

Yes..That is what it seems like. You can also check out Incline Fire has three 20 person crews. One I believe is trying to go Type 1 the other two are mainly local I.A./B.D. crews. I can't remeber the names of the crews. All local peaks in the area. You can google North Lake Tahoe Fire. Their website should pop up. This is differant than North Tahoe Fire. Keep that in mind.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

MembersZone Subscriber

When did the application period close? I don't see it on the site anymore. I applied for the job on Friday night, so I should be fine. However, I just got a letter in the mail today from Cal Fire. I have an interview at the Santa Clara Unit on March 3,4, or 5. The OCFA test was on Feb 28 I think so I would like to do this all in one trip.(I live in Milwaukee, WI) Just want to know if I get invited to the test before I make all these travel plans.

Forum Member

Anyone know where Orange County's camp is? I couldn't find any info on them.

Forum Member

camp? i dont think so..

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CanofWD40 View Post
    I might be wrong here, but they either respond out of sta. 57 or HQ in Irvine.

Forum Member

Its not a camp. They run a joint station out of Station 18 in Trabuco Canyon w/ a FS Engine

Forum Member

CALFFBOU&Ticonderoga, thank you. I'll check those places out. I thought they called their station a camp like Ventura County.

Permanently Removed

CALFFBOU&Ticonderoga, thank you. I'll check those places out. I thought they called their station a camp like Ventura County.
    If they had an actual camp, they would use that term. But I remember a crew running out of sta. 57.

Sounds like Ticonderoga did his homework- Sta. 18.

Forum Member

Yes he is a smart kid he can read a webpage. I'm hoping he decides to work for the green army.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Its not a camp. They run a joint station out of Station 18 in Trabuco Canyon w/ a FS Engine
    they are stations ROTC(headquarters) 15? 16, 18. 15? and 16 are in sliverado/modjeska canyon, 18 is of trabuco canyon road. headquarters is off jamboree east of the 5 freeway

15/16 are run by reserves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    they are stations ROTC(headquarters) 15? 16, 18. 15? and 16 are in sliverado/modjeska canyon, 18 is of trabuco canyon road. headquarters is off jamboree east of the 5 freeway

15/16 are run by reserves.
    That's canyon folk territory. Sketchy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Yes he is a smart kid he can read a webpage. I'm hoping he decides to work for the green army.

I graduated grade school.. I take crap from no one!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    That's canyon folk territory. Sketchy stuff.

it really is.. good thing youll either be at headquarters or 18's

Forum Member

Smile

You getting along in our hiring process? Avue got hosed up on the hiring end so hopefully it gets worked out this next week. You should show up on my list up here if you left the duty station I told you too. I'll send and email and let you know if you showed up. Since it is a huge part of getting hired is showing up on the list. If you don't hear from me by the end of the week. Pop me an email. I can at least give you an update.

Forum Member

You getting along in our hiring process? Avue got hosed up on the hiring end so hopefully it gets worked out this next week. You should show up on my list up here if you left the duty station I told you too. I'll send and email and let you know if you showed up. Since it is a huge part of getting hired is showing up on the list. If you don't hear from me by the end of the week. Pop me an email. I can at least give you an update.
    I have Blairsden on all the applications I have. Hopefully that will show up yes? And as far as hiring process, I had an interview with the Bear Divide hotshots on Friday, although that wasn't through Avue.

Forum Member

Stellar! You think you impressed them? Good crew..

Forum Member

Stellar! You think you impressed them? Good crew..
    Other than being somewhat thrown back by the amount of questions I was asked. Good. I don't qualify for their target grade though, but the Superintendent said he would see if I would fit the bill somehow.

Forum Member

Smile

Good! A crew may be in your future!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information