Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Explorers responding to calls

Does anyone have guidelines that require an explorer to have so much training until they are allowed to ride the trucks to a call?

Also does anybudy use essentials manuals for teaching explorers and then quiz them after they read the chapter or go over it as a group?

Our explorers are required to know where most of the tools are on the trucks and to have some basic knowledge of fire ground operations to ride-along, and we dont do the essentials thing your talking about
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by EXPCHIEF5E18 View Post
    Does anyone have guidelines that require an explorer to have so much training until they are allowed to ride the trucks to a call?

Also does anybudy use essentials manuals for teaching explorers and then quiz them after they read the chapter or go over it as a group?
    Contact: Fire Chief David Kimbrell, Hall County GA he has a excellent Explorer program.
    Look him up on Facebook. He can help you. email: hoke1234@aol.com
    Last edited by cubbie; 02-07-2009 at 09:56 PM.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

yes, email me for all the info of our RIDE ALONG certified training.

bharer75@gmail.com

We have a very extensive training program that is required to be completed before the explorer may ride along.

RFXplr326 has all of our updated info and I'm sure once he sees this he will contribute.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

PM me for info.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

The search function is your best buddy!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Smile Traning to respond to calls

Our juniors and explorers have to go through a little bit of traning and know where all the tools are on the trucks.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it

Forum Member

For my certification i was put through three written test, and three physical test. We had to know all four pieces of apparatus inside and out. As well as know how to take hydrants in all six surrounding towns for mutual aid and know there adapters as well as training once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    For my certification i was put through three written test, and three physical test. We had to know all four pieces of apparatus inside and out. As well as know how to take hydrants in all six surrounding towns for mutual aid and know there adapters as well as training once a week.
    the written and physical tests are fine, but were you put through skills testing? (they are more for practical applications) :P

We put our new explorers through the regular fire department probationary training program. This gives them all the baseline training and company operations background. Its puts all our kids on the same level as the firefighters and it takes the new-member training load off the regular explorer drills.

Obviously the explorers in the probationary training program have limits such not climbing over 6ft and not going on air.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well i shouldn't have said physical i meant to say skill basest tests. We did one test on hydrants and water supply, one on ropes, knots, forcible entry, and fire classification. The third test was on ladders and SCBA. As well as training with the entire department for 2 to 3 hours a week.

Forum Member

No required training for us, however the more training you have the more the company officer will let you do.

If you're looking for national guidelines there aren't any.

Forum Member

thats about the same way it is around here. My dept does not require me to have any training to respond ( although they are sending me for obvious reasons) but i can do very little on scene. I am mostly the Go Go gopher, i get tools, refill air bottles with other dept. cascade systems, unroll, and roll hoses on scene and at the station when we return. Nothing special but you learn alot by just standing back and watching what each individual firefighter is doing, you can even learn a few tricks of the trade so to speak by watching how everyone handles situations differently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    thats about the same way it is around here. My dept does not require me to have any training to respond ( although they are sending me for obvious reasons) but i can do very little on scene. I am mostly the Go Go gopher, i get tools, refill air bottles with other dept. cascade systems, unroll, and roll hoses on scene and at the station when we return. Nothing special but you learn alot by just standing back and watching what each individual firefighter is doing, you can even learn a few tricks of the trade so to speak by watching how everyone handles situations differently.
    What? They let you use the cascade.

Forum Member

negative, i was a human ferry, i ran bottles from the engine drop off point to the mobile cascade where someone from another dept was filling them. We do not have a mobile cascade system but one of our neighboring depts. has one. I could not have filled them myself if i wanted to, it wasnt ours to play with.

Although i have been taught how to fill bottles with the cascade system in our dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LTVFD5 View Post
    What? They let you use the cascade.
    We're allowed to use our department's cascade system under supervision with proper safety protection.
    One thing people forget frequently around here is that things are different everywhere you go...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    We're allowed to use our department's cascade system under supervision with proper safety protection.
    One thing people forget frequently around here is that things are different everywhere you go...
    if im not mistaken the cascade is what you fill B.A bottles with correct?
    like on the mobile air supply unit or heavy rescues?

Forum Member

yes, this cascade was in a sort of rehab truck, it was filled with water bottles, small food snacks, and lots of first aid gear for minor injuries. they also had extra helmets and masks and gloves for their dept.

Thread Information