Thread: Phx?

Forum Member

Default Phx?

Looks like Phoenix isn't hiring this year, anyone got some insight on that.. or am I reading their website wrong?

Forum Member

they're economy sucks and are on a two year freeze. the city is laying off people in many departments

FossilMedic

Your reading comprehension skills are working:

The next Phoenix Firefighter Recruit Test is scheduled for early 2010.

Currently, The Phoenix Fire Department is not conducting interviews for Firefighter Recruit. For those that interviewed in September 2008 we are anticipating final selection interviews to begin in the summer of 2009.

All applicants currently on the 2008 eligibilty list will remain on the list and be notified when preliminary interview selections begin.

Read Chief Kahn's column from the December 2008 Arizona Republic:

City's potential firefighters shouldn't be discouraged

http://phoenix.gov/FIRE/chiefjan2009.html

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, would anyone happen to know if their going to use the same study guide that they used in 2008, for their 2010 recruitment. If so, by any chance would anyone be willing to send me a copy. I know that they only distribute study guides at time of application filing. Would like to get a jump start on the process. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

How many does phoenix usually hire each year?

Do they have residency?

Do they give preference to paramedics?

Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Quote Originally Posted by smokinfire21 View Post
    How many does phoenix usually hire each year?

Do they have residency?

Do they give preference to paramedics?
    Do you have a phone that works? Do your own homework before coming on here and asking questions that any Fire Dept. HR/info person could answer for you with a simple phone call. Just an FYI.....and for the record.....

A lot.
    No
    Depends if they're hiring for FF/EMT or FF/Medic
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Right now, as far as I know, nothing is set in stone as far as when the next academy is starting. I have heard january, I have heard april... you know how that goes. I've heard anyone who had passed their first interview last year will get a second interview for the next academy. Everyone else will have to retest (early 2010). A new academy is under construction and almost complete, it's pretty amazing... all state of the art stuff. The next academy will be held there.

There are new stations under construction (those apporved before the budget cuts), and something like 70 members are retiring this summer, so we will be hiring sooner than later.

Phoenix used to hold 4 academies per year of 30-50 ff's, but just 3 in 2008 and 0 this year. I would expect the numbers to be low in 2010, but who knows. As mentioned before, the economy is hurtin' pretty bad.

No residency required. No preference to medics as far as extra points go, but the interview board can select candidates based on experience, etc. When I went through the academy in 2007 there was 1 medic out of 30something ff's. Phoenix has held back to back paramedic classes lately (24 ff's each class), with 2 more starting this year, so hiring medics isn't a priority at this point.

Let me know if you guys have more questions, I'll try to give you the right answer!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rbbehemoth View Post
    Right now, as far as I know, nothing is set in stone as far as when the next academy is starting. I have heard january, I have heard april... you know how that goes. I've heard anyone who had passed their first interview last year will get a second interview for the next academy. Everyone else will have to retest (early 2010). A new academy is under construction and almost complete, it's pretty amazing... all state of the art stuff. The next academy will be held there.

There are new stations under construction (those apporved before the budget cuts), and something like 70 members are retiring this summer, so we will be hiring sooner than later.

Phoenix used to hold 4 academies per year of 30-50 ff's, but just 3 in 2008 and 0 this year. I would expect the numbers to be low in 2010, but who knows. As mentioned before, the economy is hurtin' pretty bad.

No residency required. No preference to medics as far as extra points go, but the interview board can select candidates based on experience, etc. When I went through the academy in 2007 there was 1 medic out of 30something ff's. Phoenix has held back to back paramedic classes lately (24 ff's each class), with 2 more starting this year, so hiring medics isn't a priority at this point.

Let me know if you guys have more questions, I'll try to give you the right answer!
    Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to head down there in 2010. Is their any way of getting a hold of the study guide for the written exam prior to application filing in 2010 or would you happen to know anyone who may have the study guide from the last recruitment who would be willing to send me a copy. Just want to get a jump start on the competition. This is a little off subject, but I have read that they purchased 9 Pierce Quantum pumpers and 2 Pierce Velocity rear mounts. Are they changing manufacturers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachis4wheeling View Post
    Do you have a phone that works? Do your own homework before coming on here and asking questions that any Fire Dept. HR/info person could answer for you with a simple phone call. Just an FYI.....and for the record.....

A lot.
    No
    Depends if they're hiring for FF/EMT or FF/Medic
    I think this guy forgot why we are all on here!!! Maybe you should take your crap attitude somewhere else.

I thought this was a place for people to ask questions from others who have more knowledge or different experiences than the rest of us. This is a common question that every forum has in it.

Please think about stupid stuff before you say it!!

MembersZone Subscriber

NNFRA-

Yes phoenix will be changing to pierce. The new orders are replacing older engines and ladders. Unless I'm mistaken, originally the 2 ladders were going to be added to areas of the city with large gaps in ladder coverage, but due to the budget there wasn't enough money to staff them. Phoenix has 14 ladders, and 3 squads, which can perform ladder functions minus the ladder.... don't get veteran ladder guys started on that topic With a city over 500 square miles more ladders are needed

I haven't come across an old study guide, but to be honest you probably don't even need to worry about it yet, there is no guarantee the test will be given early 2010. I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by smokinfire21 View Post
    I think this guy forgot why we are all on here!!! Maybe you should take your crap attitude somewhere else.

I thought this was a place for people to ask questions from others who have more knowledge or different experiences than the rest of us. This is a common question that every forum has in it.

Please think about stupid stuff before you say it!!
    Zach... has no room to get an attitude with anyone. He is just upset because he got canned for lying. This form is for anyone with any questions. No questions is a stupid question. I dont know much about the phx process, but I think it would be better to ask questions on the form and get some answers before you bug the HR dept. If you dont get any solid answers on the post then I would suggest calling. Their job is to answer any questions, so just make a list and call once if you feel and get all of your anwsers with one call.

Good Luck..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rbbehemoth View Post
    NNFRA-

Yes phoenix will be changing to pierce. The new orders are replacing older engines and ladders. Unless I'm mistaken, originally the 2 ladders were going to be added to areas of the city with large gaps in ladder coverage, but due to the budget there wasn't enough money to staff them. Phoenix has 14 ladders, and 3 squads, which can perform ladder functions minus the ladder.... don't get veteran ladder guys started on that topic With a city over 500 square miles more ladders are needed

I haven't come across an old study guide, but to be honest you probably don't even need to worry about it yet, there is no guarantee the test will be given early 2010. I'll keep you posted as I hear more.
    Hey bud,

I sent you a Private message. Got a question for you.

Forum Member

Phoenix will not be testing in 2010.

Forum Member

Now i heard from a pretty reliable source, that they /would/ be testing. Do you have any other inside information we should know about?

Forum Member

I was told by friends of mine in the dept that they recieved an email that stated there wouldn't be a test given in 2010.

Forum Member

Here is the email i got from the recruitment service, i'll call my connection down there today and see what he has to say.. i'm related to him, so he should lie to me that much. As you can see per the recruiter, they will be testing in 2010:

We would like to express our appreciation for you interest in pursuring a career with the City of Phoenix Fire Department. Currently, we do not anticipate that we will be accepting applications, testing, interviewing or hiring for the postion of Firefighter Recruit in 2009. However, we will update our web page and notify those who have put their name on our mailing list. Those on the mailing list will receive updated information regarding future recruitment opportunities and any future testing/selection processes. So please keep your information current. Below is the link to subscribe to the mail list (go to Public Safety/ Phoenix Fire Recruitment News):

http://phoenix.gov/subscribe.html

Below is our usually process:

Firefighter Recruitment

Applications for Firefighter Recruit are accepted once a year, during a one-week period, ONLY during this
    5 day period. Visit our website at www.phoenix.gov/fire/recruit.html
    "download "Sample Recruitment Packet"

TESTING for 2008 is over, (as new dates become available they will be posted on the website so check back periodically) but here is a sample of what the process looks like:

Applications can only be downloaded through the City of Phoenix website:

Application Downloaded: During designated week only! http://www.phoenix.gov/JOBS/jobsidx.html
    If you are having problems you can call the City's Application Office at (602) 262-6277.

Applications can ONLY be downloaded during the 5 day recruitment period

Application Period: Tentative for Early/Mid 2010 - Will be for a 5 day recruitment ONLY !!!!!
    Written Test: Usually one month after recruitment period - One day ONLY !!!!

To qualify to begin the testing process an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
    1. Must be at least 18 years of age by end date of application period.
    2. High School Diploma or GED preferred (Ability to read and comprehend written material at the grade 14 level).
    3. Must possess the mental, physical and medical health to adequately perform the duties of a firefighter.
    4. Must have or be able to obtain a valid Arizona Driverís License (operator, class D) and have maintained
    a good driving record (fewer than 8 points the previous 3 years).

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Dept employees all recieved an email a few weeks ago stating the recruitment proccess is "postponed indefinately". It sounds like there will be no academy in 2010.

Forum Member

Well, just talked to my contact down there.. he's a pretty close relative, so he should be telling me the truth. He stated the 'postponed indef' email was referring to the Oct cycle of hiring, and that during a recent Union Blitz, they were assured that hiring would take place during the next year, to help replace the retirees. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Forum Member

From what I've heard the next academy will be near the end of 2010 and will consist of current redshirts and candidates selected from the current list. Once this is complete Phoenix will hold a written test sometime in 2011.

Thread Information