Forum Member

Default Is 26 too old to be considering becoming career?

Hey everyone,

I am 26 years old, and have been an EMT since 2002. I have worked both in the field and in a hospital ER since then. I have recently become more involved in the fire department side of my volunteer agency, and am looking to pursue becoming a career FF.

My question is, at my age am I too old to be considered for a spot? I have a bit of medical experience, would that help any? Thanks for any information.

Forum Member

Default No

Nope... not too old... NEXT! (Of course... like everything else here... it can depend, mostly you just need to be under 30ish)

Forum Member

ActionGoose, we recently had a member of our reserve unit get hired on full-time with El Cerrito at 42 years-old, so don't ever let your age discourage you from pursuing your dream. Yes, every state and department is different, but it can be done. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    mostly you just need to be under 30ish)
    Hmmmmm. We see candidates all the time get hired in their late 30" and early forties. The oldest candidate we've seen get hired was age 47. He beat his son out on the same list for the job.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Hi!
    No, you are not too old! I'm 31 and am in a hiring process. My husband began the Tucson Fire Academy when he was 40 (turned 41 a month later). He had been in the Army for 21 years.
    As for the medical expereince, most paid departments require at least EMT-B.
    I say go for it

Permanently Removed

No!

Look at the people on the oral board. They are very experienced, seasoned, knowledgeable professionals. Now, with that in mind, what kind of qualities do you think they are looking for?

The best Candidate has life experiences. We want people who can not only tie their shoes, but put the right kind of fuel in the vehicles. (Dont laugh, its happened) But someone that can independently think, act, be mature and represent themselves and the agency as a Professional. With all of that in mind, we are looking for the most mature people.

Anyways- 26 is not too young. Bring everything that you can to the table. BUT I need to mention one more thing....Lots of Candidates will also hammer the board with the fact they are a family man too. Thatís great you have a family, but donít always expect or demand points for it. Raters on the other side of the board might not have a family and there is no bridge to build there.

Hope this all makes sense.

Forum Member

Default similar backgrounds

Hey my background is pretty similar to yours. I grew up doing volunteer ems and worked in a trauma center/ED for a couple years. EMS is a very hot topic for depts right now. Not as a catch phrase but if you are someone that truly enjoys it then they will see that in you and that will bode well for you. I then went into business for myself and then did sales for a couple years. So I was older when I fame back to emergency services, I just finished the academy for an urban FD and I turned 34 in the academy. There was another 34 YO and a 37 yo in the class as well. So there is no way your age should discourage you. Be aware though that there are certain departments that have an age limit. NY is pretty yound, DC is like 31 so look around and pick a department that fits what you want but also wants what you have.

MembersZone Subscriber

37, and chasing the dream. All good advice on this site but I would add that you make sure you stay in shape. Good luck!

Forum Member

The state that I live in will only allow a probationary fire fighter be of ages 18-36. Most new hires must be in that age range. The state won't even certify you if you are 37.

Although, it differs everywhere. You're fine if you are 26 man!

Forum Member

The number one thing out on that interview board is life experience as bou said. I had a great conversation with a FF today who set a 5 year goal when he was 35. and at 40 he was accepted to LACounty and OCFA.. just get a little tunnel vision going, and you need to be ready for the questions an that interview.. just start asking yourself random questions and come up with answers to them.. make an interview question bible.

MembersZone Subscriber

for most depts you will be fine.....

BTW i'm 25....
    Last edited by PropheticPoet83; 02-14-2009 at 06:21 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am 32 going through an academy right now. If you are to old or not is based on your capabilities? Physically, mentally, etc....................

For instance, are you physically capable of doing the job? Here recently I have been bumping into alot of people that want to become Firefighters. When I begin to talk about it being a physical job it doesn't register. They don't know the biggest killer of Firefighters is heart attacks. They want to simply get hired and grab a recliner. After completing the academy your knowledge, training, and physical fitness should continue to climb and improve. Wow, let me stop here, I've just been dumbfounded with alot of conversations here lately.

No, you are not to old to pursue a career in the Fire Service. Smooth Winds and Fair Seas........................
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

ActionGoose, you're making me feel old!

I'll be 31 when my academy starts and won't be the oldest guy there. I was 27 when I started chasing this thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like everyone else has said, that is not even close to too old. There are a few fire departments that require you to be under a certain age. There aren't many that I know of though that do that. FDNY and DCFD are the two big ones. However, even those you aren't too old for. DCFD is 34 or 35 and I think FDNY is 31. So you are perfectly fine.
    Last edited by clark918; 02-14-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Forum Member

Hi there. I was 2 months into my 30th birthday before I started the academy with the FDNY. Age was not a factor in my hiring as u have to be hired b4 your 31th bday or 35 w/ military time, i even had one guy who was 37 in the FDNY academy when i was training at the Rock! Just be prepared for some intensive training and alot of discipline!

Forum Member

Default You will be just fine

Just make sure your resume is A+ and you will be fine.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Are You Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am 26 years old, and have been an EMT since 2002. I have worked both in the field and in a hospital ER since then. I have recently become more involved in the fire department side of my volunteer agency, and am looking to pursue becoming a career FF.

My question is, at my age am I too old to be considered for a spot? I have a bit of medical experience, would that help any? Thanks for any information.
    I've never heard of 26 being too old to start ANY new career. In Fact, I think 26 is an ideal age to get hired somewhere. ActionGoose, did you ask anyone on the fire department side of your agency this same question? Because if you did, I think most of them would have gotten a good chuckle out of it.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Then I guess the 56 year old that got an appointment to Fairfax County Fire/Rescue would mean that you have a chance. He just retired last year @ 67 after spending his time in a busy house off Interstate 95. He came from a VFD in Orange County NY. Besides here in NYS it is about scoring high on the civil service test to have a chance.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Nope. I'm 36 and just finished my first year of probation a couple months ago. Left a good corporate job after 11 yrs.....

You're only as old as you feel.

Get some!

Too Old???? at 26? Come on now. Get with it and don't waste any time. We had a 50 year old in my rookie class. He was in great cardio shape but pretty weak strength wise. Old heads had a hard time accepting him. I would say 36 is a pretty good cut-off age. That is what our department has gone to.

FF-EMT

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    Then I guess the 56 year old that got an appointment to Fairfax County Fire/Rescue would mean that you have a chance. He just retired last year @ 67 after spending his time in a busy house off Interstate 95. He came from a VFD in Orange County NY. Besides here in NYS it is about scoring high on the civil service test to have a chance.
    56??? I'm only 49, think I still got a chance??
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

I would think that that may be so. I only know how things work here in my area. The career FD's in my area require at least an EMT cert to take the test but some have put the Paramedic cert as a requirement. Some use a residency preference while others require you to move to their city w/i a time period to keep the job.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, what would make you even think you were too old to apply at 26? I'm 25 now (soon to be 26) and that thought has never even crossed my mind. In fact you are an even stronger candidate because you have a resume with actual full-time work experience, versus an 18 y/o recent high school grad. Progressive departments will be looking for people with an advanced education (college and/or medic) and full time work experience, versus someone young and inexperienced, but may be in their peak years of athleticism. Eat healthy, stay fit, and you'll have no problem keeping up.

Thread Information