Forum Member

Default X Box in the fire station question..

So our department has three staffed stations, and we are kicking around the idea of each station getting an X-box 360 and playing station vs station teams. We like "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare".

Is this possible? Can one console support a 4-person team? Or will each player have to have their own console?

(PS- I am totally clueless about this stuff- thats why I am throwing it out to you fine people).

On a side note- Does anyone else do this with station vs station competitions?

Each console can support 4 players per. I believe Call of Duty can support up to 16 players online so you should be fine in that aspect. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to help you along in the process.

Forum Member

sounds like a great idea.......

Will your city approve it?

With politics these days you know the first time you have a structure fire that results in a total loss the city will say it's because you were to busy playing video games and it took to long to respond........ Politics are a sad thing these days.

But yes you should be able to play station Vs. station no problem

Forum Member

It should. With the 360 you are able to make player profiles for whoever wants to play. As long as you have 4 controlers, you can play 4 player. To play against other people, you got to pay for a year subscription for XBOX live. And have wireless internet. The PS3 comes with free online play, so if you don't want to pay for online play, that is the way to go.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

There is an xbox at at least 2 of our 3 stations. Just try and put it in a location that isn't so obvious if the public comes in.

As far as the city blaming a fire loss on the xbox...baloney. Do they blame fire losses on watching tv? Or being online? Or working out? Or sleeping? Or any other of the recreational or standby activities we do at the firehouse? If they do we haven't heard it on our job.

Forum Member

Yeah- our administration approved it, but it doesn't come out of public money. Our union is paying for the boxes.

It looks like each player on the team needs to have an Xbox account. We thought one account would allow us multi-plater from one console.

It doesn't look that way.

Lastly, throwing down the controller and hopping on our rigs would take less time than wiping three times (if you catch my drift )

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremedicSpud View Post
    Is this possible? Can one console support a 4-person team? Or will each player have to have their own console?
    Any of the multiplayer games are capable of split screen play, where you can have 2-4 players on 1 xbox. Just remember, not all games are multiplayer and not all multiplayer games support up to 4 split screen, some are only 2. The number of players per session online varies depending on the game too. All the information is available on the back of the games case if you're unsure or just check up on the games info online at a place like gamestop.

MembersZone Subscriber

It looks like each player on the team needs to have an Xbox account. We thought one account would allow us multi-plater from one console.
    It depends on the game. The 360 has "local" and "XboxLive" account types. Most games require the player to have an Xbox Live account, though some allow an Xbox Live account to have "guests" with them. The original Call of Duty did this. Myself and 3 friends could all play it online using my single account. I believe CoD4 changed that and required everyone to have a live account, but I'm not sure.

Certainly you can play local games without live accounts.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Ok, let me make sure I understand you correctly. Each of the four guys at one station must get their own Xbox Live account. Then using ONE console with four controllers, we can all play on the same team against another station who is using the same setup. Correct?

I'd love to see a firehouse X-box team play page

Forum Member

And have wireless internet.
    You don't need wireless if you're close enough to a wired conncection on the LAN to plug in.

Forum Member

Ok, let me make sure I understand you correctly. Each of the four guys at one station must get their own Xbox Live account. Then using ONE console with four controllers, we can all play on the same team against another station who is using the same setup. Correct?

I'd love to see a firehouse X-box team play page

You don't have to buy three accounts, just one subscription to XBOX live and you can have up to three guests. You just have to have whoever wants to play make their own user profile.

And ThNozzleman said you don't have to have wireless, but if a cord wont reach then you will need wireless.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

It all works. We've been doing it for a couple of years. Usually if there is nothing on the idiot box we go online.

Forum Member

Yeah- our administration approved it, but it doesn't come out of public money. Our union is paying for the boxes.
    So it comes out of your dues? Was that voted on at a regular meeting?

Forum Member

Well, technically no. I meant that union firefighters pay for the stuff if they want to use it.

On a side note, we just upgraded our dayrooms to have big flat-panel TV's and upgraded our cable/satellite packages for Hi-def.

Those items were voted upon by the union at a meeting.

Forum Member

The Local owns the Coke machines in all 3 of our stations. Purchases like flat panel tvs, premium channels from cable, BluRay dvd players and such come out of the profits made from the machines. If we need more money, we have a per capita assessment.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

My friend at a dept down the road takes one to his firehouse where they play against other houses. I can imagine the phone calls between crews bashing on each other.

A lot of guys in our dept bring thier xboxes, playstations, etc in to work, but I don't know of anyone who plays oline against oter houses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Once in awhile at my station (EMS) we bring in the x-box 360 or playstation 3 and we set up all the rock band stuff and rock out during our down time. I wouldn't imagine that there would be a problem with playing x-box while on duty. But then again there are places that you have to ask to go to the bathroom so who knows I would ask the higher up's if it was ok.

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually dont have alot of downtime to play XBox....around 4,000 runs last year...aggressive captains on the engine and ladder as well as the chief when it comes to training, building inspections, and equipment maint.

We are also the HazMat Task Force so we have all the training, upkeep w/that.

The only downtime we really have is after supper. Everyone sits around the TV for an hour or so before trying to catch a few Zs cuz we know it will usually be a busy night.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadofire2119 View Post
    Once in awhile at my station (EMS) we bring in the x-box 360 or playstation 3 and we set up all the rock band stuff and rock out during our down time. I wouldn't imagine that there would be a problem with playing x-box while on duty. But then again there are places that you have to ask to go to the bathroom so who knows I would ask the higher up's if it was ok.

We do the same at my fulltime job(EMS) but unfortunatley we gotta lock everything up so the volunteers dont mess with our stuff while we are out on runs... We are a combination department...Paid during the day hours and volunteer at night and well lets just say theres more eyes and ears on us than there is the vollys at night time. So we gotta becareful how we go about things during the daytime hours...as far as I'm concerned as long as our daily house duties are done and theres nothing else to do then why not! Sorry I got off topic a little bit...lol
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Well, we are having a hell of a time figuring this out. We have 2 X-BOX live accounts here at the station, and simply cannot get both players able to login COD4 on the same console.

We would love to able to have four guys here playing four guys at the other station.

GRRRRR.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NessyROS View Post
    Each console can support 4 players per. I believe Call of Duty can support up to 16 players online so you should be fine in that aspect. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to help you along in the process.
    I would love to PM you, or even email you, but it seems you have those features turned off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    We usually dont have alot of downtime to play XBox....around 4,000 runs last year...aggressive captains on the engine and ladder as well as the chief when it comes to training, building inspections, and equipment maint.

We are also the HazMat Task Force so we have all the training, upkeep w/that.

The only downtime we really have is after supper. Everyone sits around the TV for an hour or so before trying to catch a few Zs cuz we know it will usually be a busy night.
    I feel you bro. I'm not at the busiest house in the department but we train daily to keep up our skills and physical fitness. We have more downtime than I would like but we find ways to fill up the day. Who knows, maybe they'll be playing firefighter games to keep their skills up.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think u only have one x box live account sign in and the others sign in under guest. I play cod4 and world at war alot I will try it and see if it works later PM or email me and I will see what I can do.

Forum Member

Thank you- and PM sent!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=FiremedicSpud;1032947]Yeah- our administration approved it, but it doesn't come out of public money. Our union is paying for the boxes.

Great use of union dues.

Thread Information