MembersZone Subscriber

Default Last Chance Filter

Hey everyone, I am looking for information on the last chance filter. Has anyone used it, does it work well, are there any problems? Any and all information would be great. Thanks Folks!

The early bird may get the worm..........but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Forum Member

Default No certs

Last year, in IAFC, I spoke to the persons working the booth for Last Chance. I asked the personnel at the booth about what certifications they had obtained for their product. If I was marketing a firefighter life saving device for the fire service, I would like to have at least one cert or endorsement from IAFF, IAFC, OSHA, NIOSH, NFPA, or some other alphabet organization. The person working the booth didn't seem to know of any certs.

I then went down to the IAFF booth and asked them about the Last Chance filters. They were aware of the product, but they did not endorse the filter and they didn't know of any firefighter based organization that did.

I understand that the filter is a true last chance, and if I was trapped in an IDLH atmosphere with no air left, I wouldn't be real concerned about endorsements. But it scares me that this company doesn't have one endorsement from one of the leading or recognized fire service organizations. If the IAFF or NFPA or such would test and endorse the product, I would feel much better about them.

Last Chance asked if my organization would be interested in testing or demo-ing the filters. Since my organization (a very large southwest FD) doesn't employ any industrial engineers, I guess we could select firefighters that we are not real crazy about and run through the burn building at the academy. Short of that, we have to rely on scientific organizations to test and endorse for us. I'll wait to purchase them until Last Chance does that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bomberodevil View Post
    Last year, in IAFC, I spoke to the persons working the booth for Last Chance. I asked the personnel at the booth about what certifications they had obtained for their product. If I was marketing a firefighter life saving device for the fire service, I would like to have at least one cert or endorsement from IAFF, IAFC, OSHA, NIOSH, NFPA, or some other alphabet organization. The person working the booth didn't seem to know of any certs.

I then went down to the IAFF booth and asked them about the Last Chance filters. They were aware of the product, but they did not endorse the filter and they didn't know of any firefighter based organization that did.

I understand that the filter is a true last chance, and if I was trapped in an IDLH atmosphere with no air left, I wouldn't be real concerned about endorsements. But it scares me that this company doesn't have one endorsement from one of the leading or recognized fire service organizations. If the IAFF or NFPA or such would test and endorse the product, I would feel much better about them.

Last Chance asked if my organization would be interested in testing or demo-ing the filters. Since my organization (a very large southwest FD) doesn't employ any industrial engineers, I guess we could select firefighters that we are not real crazy about and run through the burn building at the academy. Short of that, we have to rely on scientific organizations to test and endorse for us. I'll wait to purchase them until Last Chance does that.
    However, as an organization would you endorse something that is a last chance device. Anyone who is going to use has a very high probably of getting injured or killed. If you endorse it and this happens guess who gets named in the lawsuit?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Gweedo View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking for information on the last chance filter. Has anyone used it, does it work well, are there any problems? Any and all information would be great. Thanks Folks!

The early bird may get the worm..........but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese!
    Similar to the discussion on the Fit5 device.

I'm not a bandwagon jumper. I say let the various industries and some of the larger departments that have the resources vet this product.

Would I keep one in my turnouts... between you and me? Sure, I guess it's better than the alternative. Would I buy one? No.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the past.

I think the big concern is that while it does filter the air, there is nothing to stop you from inhaling superheated "clean" air through the filter.

MembersZone Subscriber

In another thread, I asked the vendor a simple direct question:

What makes your product different than the Scott and Survivair products that were recalled and withdrawn due to their ineffectiveness.

Got no answer, which to me was all the answer I needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the Info. I will take a wait and see approach.

Forum Member

What if I, as an individual, chose to go out and buy one of these filters "just in case" and kept it as part of my personal kit much like a knife or a pair of wire cutters. The department doesn't endorse those specific items. Could a device like this fall under a "personal use item" that the department doesn't specifically endorse?

It it's either "die right now because I don't have one" or "I'm gonna die so I might as well try this thing in my pocket--I have nothing to lose".

I don't know, but it makes sense in a weird way.

Thread Information