MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Station Construction Suggestions

We are looking @ constructing a new station on a budget of $300,000. We are looking @ 4 bays, 2 deep. Chiefs office, Radio room, training room and kitchen. Wondering if anyone has built anything similar lately and what was your cost. We are looking @ just a pole barn type construction and doing alot of interior work ourselves.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

illinois, and finally about to start construction

pmed we are constructing a new station in elkville similar to your thought. three double bays,office,kitchen,two bathrooms,and cascade room. it looks like about 200000 after prevailing wage so your budget should more than do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Elk, would you guys be willing to let us take a look @ your plans, or share them with us so we can get an idea what we need to look @? It would be very helpful and appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    We are looking @ constructing a new station on a budget of $300,000. We are looking @ 4 bays, 2 deep. Chiefs office, Radio room, training room and kitchen. Wondering if anyone has built anything similar lately and what was your cost. We are looking @ just a pole barn type construction and doing alot of interior work ourselves.
    I had a hard time weazling $50,000 out of our higher ups to build a new station!

Can't help you much since our station is only 3 bays, single deep. This gonna be in Coello? Good Luck!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

This is what we are building for less than $250,000

http://forums.firehouse.com/showpost...&postcount=992

I would think you should be in good shape cost wise if you watch your plans really close for excess costs that the designers like to through in.

That reminds me, I need to get some updated pics for the construction thread
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by 80FIRE View Post

That reminds me, I need to get some updated pics for the construction thread
    I'll say you do!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

illinois, and finally about to start construction

be glad to show you our plans. the biggest cost was it is rural development funded so prevailing wage added alot. shoot me an e-mail with a good time to meet and i will br glad to show you our design build and how it came about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Elk, Don't think I have your email. Mine is firemedic_19@yahoo.com. We will have an officer's meeting on monday march 2nd @ 6pm @ our station. If you could possibly come that night that would be great.

Jack, Yes it will be in Coello. I saw the pics of your station. We are looking @ a pole barn construction. In talking to some builders it seems that we can put up the building with concrete work for about 150000. Leaves us another 150000 for everything else.

80, I like the insulated concrete forms idea. May have to look into that as well.

Thanks guys for the input. Looking foarward to gettin this hashed out and gettin something on paper so we can get bids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re-use of Station Design

Slightly off topic, but what are the chances of the contract with the fire station architects being written to allow re-use of the design by other department, or if paid for by Federal monies, putting the design in the public domain?

I know site conditions will change the footing and roof details somewhat, but even having a starting point can save the smaller agencies a ton of time & money.

Thread Information