MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 Obama Stimulus plan

Anybody know what the details are for the $500 million that Obama has earmarked for fire stations? Is this for the 2009 AFG or is this above and beyond that?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Above and beyond. Not sure who is going to be put into these stations or what equipment they'll have but the thought is nice.

choffd

We have a neighboring department that started to build a new station and had to stop because of financial problems. The shell has sat there for two years. Would like to get info to them on this part of the stimulus bill. Anyone have further info on this or direct me to a site so that I can review the infor to see if it would help them? Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

since it hasn't passed I wouldn't worry about searching for it since it could change again today.

Forum Member

Default Where is the AFG program in the Stimulus?

It seems like the DOJ and the COPS program has done well...

from the AP
    President Barack Obama wants the government back in the policing business, big time.

Obama's huge stimulus plan includes about $4 billion to resurrect grants that put tens of thousands of police on the streets during the 1990s. The programs were all but eliminated during the Bush administration amid criticism that their results didn't justify the hefty price tags.

--------
    Now I happen to like the COPS program and have a friend who is very senior in that program - so kudos for DOJ, the Conference of Mayors, and their friends for getting their program funded.

I work with a DOI agency and I know they are actively involved in the Stimulus...

I just wonder why FEMA and Homeland Security does not seem to be advocating for Firefighters - they got a great system to spend money very quickly to stimulate the economy and help first responders. They got applications in the pipeline - 200% of what will be scheduled - would it be hard to fund and spend money on 50% more or 100% more?

They also have a group of very dedicated people on the grassroots to advocate with our elected officials...

Maybe something is going on and it has not hit the press but this seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Kudos to those that are working to opportunity, but I want to know what about us?

SK

MembersZone Subscriber

COPS? that was one the biggest failures dreamed up in DC in the last 50years.

MembersZone Subscriber

And, when the government funding stops, the jobs are cut again, creating the same budget problems for cities across america

Thread Information